clutch bell housing removal | FerrariChat

clutch bell housing removal

Discussion in '206/246' started by russh, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, I have a 1971 Ferrari GT series 2 (M) and I am having difficulty removing the clutch bell housing from the intermediate housing. It only separates about a quarter inch. Three of the six studs are removed and only three studs are still in. The two starter motor studs are still attached to the clutch bell housing. Since it is a series 2 transmission the drop gears are different than the series 3 (E). I am hesitant to use any pry bars to separate the two, as I do not want to damage either housing. I have looked over the parts manual pictures and I don't think it is necessary to remove either of the two lock nuts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Check for a nut at the bottom behind a frame rail. If that's your problem, you have to loosen the engine mounts and jack up the engine 1" or so to get to it.

3. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi, thank you. Yes I already had removed the seventh nut from the smaller stud below.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If it moved as much as in the pics then you got all the fasteners. You do not need to remove the drop gear nuts and rhe bell housing should slide off. It may be time to try some gentle prying.

5. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Rob, Thank you for the advice, I suspected it probably was going to need prying. I guess the splined shafts are hanging it up a bit.

6. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I suggest you use nylon type pry bars. They will not leave any marks and they work like a charm. I removed the bell housing from a 512 bbi engine yesterday and had exactly the same issue as you, problem fixed with a gentle insertion of a nylon pry bar. Good luck.

Best regards Peter

7. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi Pete, that's a great idea. I have some nylon trim pry bars, I will give them a try. Thank you. Russell

8. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Sorry, Peter, one too many back spaces.

9. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001