Unsure about driving the Ferrari this weekend | FerrariChat

Unsure about driving the Ferrari this weekend

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by unreelviper, Apr 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have been in the house with the family all week like most of you. I'm thinking about going on a nice long gas fillup run this weekend just to get out and have some me time. I'm also mindful of the people who are either laid off or are potentially going to be laid off soon. Am I overthinking when it comes to taking the car out this weekend? What are you guys/girls doing as far as driving your exotics? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Overthinking. Just make sure you are "going to the grocery store" if anyone asks, since you're supposed to be on lockdown. I went out the last day and last hour before Maryland required "stay at home" earlier this week, but I went to USPS yesterday and just about everyone is out and about driving.

unreelviper and EastMemphis like this.
  3. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My car is stuck in the shop or I'd be driving.

MaurizioAM and unreelviper like this.
  4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have been given "essential personnel" documents from my department for movement around.
    The officers in Fairfax aren't looking to come in contact with anyone. VSP are all over I66 and they are making stops for speeding.
    As said before, just have a good reason for driving if stopped.

unreelviper likes this.
  5. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Where are the cops on 66? I haven't seen any going to and from work.

E60 M5 likes this.
  6. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I am expecting my new to me 456m this coming Tuesday or Wednesday, and I will be out trying to make sure I get everything needed done to the car such as state inspection and what not. I plan to at least be able to take the car for a drive once I have everything sorted. Bad enough it has been crappy timing to be getting my first Ferrari but I don't want to just have it sitting. Who knows what is to come with this pandemic.

unreelviper likes this.
  7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’d think about it more on the projections of stress on the health care system. Critical time if you go out and get it now. Maryland is about 24 days out and Virginia is about 45 days out - if your a betting person. I’m staying in. Plenty of driving time later.

unreelviper likes this.
  8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Between Rt29 and Rt15. The last 2 weeks every day going out to the barn there are at least 3 in that small section.
    One guy sits on right shoulder, tucked in behind large jersey walls just before Rt15, you don't even see him unless you look in rear view mirror.
    The others have been on off ramps from Rt15 to east I66 and Rt15 ramp to I66 west bound.
    Of course the standard in the median with Lidar getting people from a mile +.

9. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm not seeing any on 66. I came home from working OT last Friday afternoon around 5 pm and not a single cop between DC and Haymarket.

To answer the OP question I am still driving mine at least once a week, did about 20 miles yesterday.

unreelviper and E60 M5 like this.
  10. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    This is not the time to be going out on pleasure drives - in our Fcars, or any car for that matter - for the joy-factor. Take the pandemic seriously or the life you don't save could be yours or a loved one. Also, how should that person you pass, who may be driving to a hospital, or to spend his/her life savings on groceries or prescriptions they can not afford because they have lost their income - how should they feel as you drive your Ferrari past them? I am not taking my Ferraris out of the neighborhood until this passes. I do suggest pulling them out of the garage for a wash and to address tire flat spots. Stay safe for us all!

Ferris Bueller, unreelviper and ROMO like this.
  11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I drive mine every day. I could get hit by lightning and die tomorrow.

NYC Fred, m5shiv, Xrayv8 and 5 others like this.
  12. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I received my new to me 456m today and took it straight to the mechanic shop to start on some needed repairs. Im hoping in the next few weeks this virus starts to slow down so things can get better.. I do plan to be able to take it for a good drive after the repairs to see how she drives.

SGM likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I drive one of my sports cars just about every day as well. These threads are weird.

14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have been driving mine a lot, it is great therapy for dealing with this crisis.

Solid State, waymar, Zinger and 5 others like this.
  15. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I took my 360 Spider out the other day I had my 9 yr old with me. I couldn't care less with what is going on in the world when I looked over and saw the excitement on his face with a smile from ear to ear. It was a beautiful afternoon so a lot of people were out in our neighborhood and I received nothing but waves when I drove past. But at the same time I am smart with where I am driving now and have been careful with the roads that I choose. Near my house I have a loop that is about 20 miles and gives me a highway and good back roads with lots of twisties. The only place I will stop is the gas station. So with that said if you have it go drive and enjoy it, none of us are promised tomorrow. Besides you may be putting a giant smile on some kids face when you drive past them and give them something to talk about and remember for a long time to come.

16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So true yesterday I took each daughter for a drive. I was going by a street and I saw a guy giving a huge thumbs up, I put it in neutral and gave some revs and he was going nuts!

unreelviper likes this.
  17. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    My 5 year old son was very excited when I first took delivery of my 456 on Tuesday morning. He was also saying my car, my Rarri… That made me even more excited. Im not excited for the bill, but It will be nice to take my family of 4 for a nice ride when I get it back from the shop.

18. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Drove mine this weekend too - and any day its nice ill take it right back out.

WRT i66 - I have seen a steady uptick in state troopers in the medians. Probably worried about budget shortfalls, and getting laid off - which they deserve, glorified traffic cops.

Challenge and EastMemphis like this.
  19. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Definitely overthinking. I took out my 911 last weekend for a drive. Saw lots of other "fun' cars on the road.

Drive and enjoy!

20. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Let's all give up on life and stop everything you've worked for and enjoy. Yeah, that's a great plan.

If you have guilt enjoying what you have, what you've worked for, what you've earned then shouldn't have it.

I'm living and enjoying my short time on earth.

22. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    Pretty sure I drove every dry day this week. Up to great falls this afternoon and streets were busy

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Took mine to FoW for its annual and the Main Power warranty on Wednesday. Picked it up today (Friday). 80 miles each way from Maryland to Virginia. Totally normal traffic density for workdays. Also very high speeds. Saw no LEO on Wed but Friday counted six. Looks like people are done with the stay at home thing.

This disease kills you unkindly and quick. You get sick, you suffer, you go on to a ventilator and you die. All in a week or two. You were going to take your best Ferrari out of hibernation the following week but there is no next week for you. Drive the cars fellas. Its between you and the car. Always has. I sense folks that say they wont take their cars out so as not to gloat might have some issues with their wealth perhaps.

jag-oo-r, EastMemphis and SGM like this.
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

In Maryland and no clue if it’s being enforced. Beautiful day here... decided to stay in, it’s not worth the hassle with a gung-ho LEO.

• Penalties. This order is to be enforced by state and local law enforcement. Knowingly and willfully violating this order is a misdemeanor, and on conviction, offenders may be subject to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine not exceeding $5,000 or both.

25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just went out shooting for about 2 hours blowing stuff up. Drove by numerous cops, no one cares.

AtomicPunk88 and Rrr1 like this.