Firebird overpriced? | FerrariChat

Firebird overpriced?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Halloween234, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Halloween234

Halloween234 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    I'm looking at a firebird with about 6k miles on it and the dealer wants to sell it at about 28k. It's a 1999 firebird trans am. Is this overpriced?

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    For some strange reason the pontiacs are going for more than the camaros. I was looking at the 98-2002 camaros in the fall, and the firebirds were all 20% higher. If the car were a WS6 from 2002 with all the options I’d say it’s a bit high but not outrageous. If it is a 99 regular v8 with an automatic, I’d say it’s way overpriced. For reference, I could have purchased a 60k mile 2002 SS camaro with the carbon hood and SLP options for 11,000 in October.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I sold a ws6, ram air, 6 speed blue and tan 2002 with low miles (20k) for $17k 3 years ago.
    2002 was the last year, that is nose bleed for a 99 even with 6k.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Is it the anniversary addition? T-top? 6sp? WS6? convertible? If its all of these and stock then it may be a good price. Seen these with lower miles in the $40k's not that that means anything. If its not the anniversary then its over priced.

5. Halloween234

Halloween234 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    I just found out it is supposedly a firehawk I don't know if that makes it different I'm not familiar with firehawks

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    SLP Firehawks are easy to trace online.

I understand you want a Firebird, but I bought my 2006 z51 vette not long after selling my ram air ws6 trans am and the C6 vette is a way, way better fun car. Especially in the under $20k range like mine was.

BigTex likes this.
  7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    That's a little too high for even a Firehawk. Personally, I never really understood their place once the ram air became available. And I think the ws6 looks better than the SLP setup on the hawk.

thecarreaper likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My 1994 25th Anniversary with manual 6 speed NEW was $28K.

As stated here, the Firehawk was almost an outside line, more for track use, against the stock model line up.
    A base Trans Am properly optioned would have the WS6 suspension and brakes, for me, a manual trans, and the top of the line engine.
    Not sure what that would be for 1999, an LS* something.

The Anniversary packages were different as you did NOT get WS6 badging or options, yet most of the components were on the car.

As carreapers experience shows, it's hard to get your money out of them despite "low miles"..

I sold mine, used up showing 155K miles, blown engine, for $500.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    High rear spoiler? Low?

Coupe, T- top, convertible?
    Post some pictures.....