New to me 2016 981 Boxster Spyder (loads of fun) | FerrariChat

New to me 2016 981 Boxster Spyder (loads of fun)

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Exoticar Auto, Apr 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    #1 Exoticar Auto, Apr 8, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    If you would have told me a year ago that I would be driving a Boxster in the future, I may have spit out my drink and started a fight. Just kidding but I was no way going to be that guy. I have had 5 air cooled 911s' and loved them. Everything from 993 to 930 Turbo 505 optioned slant nose, and 3 911SC. Two of the SC were lightweight gutted hot rods including my latest one that cracked the 6 figure build cost mark. These cars had one thing in common besides tons of fun. They all had crapy AC (im in central Florida), crappy radios and no new modern amenities. Which was fine by me. I was after the visceral feeling and just loved the charm the old cars have.

Well fast forward a bit and I noticed the boxster Spyder "special edition" cars. I didn't know much about them and began looking into them. Little did I know its also a lightweight car that has the 991 911S 3.8 stuffed in it. 911S brakes and the 911 Turbo steering rack. Oh and by the way, ice cold AC, touch screen Alpine in my particular car and loads of amenities. Also the power I was used to was on point! My latest hot rod SC was 2195lbs 375HP and 298TQ. The boxster is 2899lbs 375HP/309TQ.

Anyway I took my car into a dealer last week that had a Spyder. I made the mistake of driving my Miami blue hot rod 911 to a Chevy dealer that had a Spyder they took on trade for a new C8.My plan was to only test/joy ride the car and see if it lived up to the HYPE. Well it did and I literally said out loud to the sales person, "I shouldn't have driven this car". Anyway when we get back from the drive, the owner of the dealership runs out to my car and just goes nuts over it. Turns out hes a chevy dealer but collects air cooled Porsches. So he gives me a full walk around of the dealership and shows my some of his personal toys. He had a 1989 930 cab (only year they made a 5 speed), he had a 93 964 turbo that was in "as new" condition and of course he had a bunch of cool old vettes and 57 Chevy Bel Airs and such as a Chevy dealership owner would.

So he wants my car. My blue car. I said my car is worth more then your boxster, how would that work. He offered a nice sum plus the boxster. I countered at a larger sum, a full tank of premium gas, and a full wash/detail.The Spyder is a 1 owner w/8K miles and clean as can be. Clear bra over the entire car and clean Carfax. Well after about 10 minutes, we had a deal. I drove home that night and left my baby with him. It is sad and I know I will probably never own a nicer air cooled car but I must say, a fat check in the bank during this "Pandemic" economy and a very cool somewhat rare (850 in the USA) car feels to be the right thing for me.These cars are a hoot! Such well balanced nimble and very quick lil sucker! The sport exhaust is to die for.I have new wheels coming today and SOUL competition headers and a chip planned for next week that should push it well into the 400HP range and have me walking away from some newer 911 and that pesky GT4. Will keep you updated. Oh yeah, did I mention that ICE COLD A/C? man what a luxury. Cheers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, donv, GuyIncognito and 3 others like this.
  2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Congrats on the positive rehoming of you 911, it was a very cool car. I had no idead the Boxster Spyder was that special. Cool car.

3. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    The new 2020 718 Boxster Spyder/Cayman GT is coming out now and The boxster is basically a GT car. Basically a GT4 with a convertible top. They now have a 4.0 NA flat 6 w/414hp and the torque stays the same at 309 which I find weird. I think it now comes with GT3 brakes and suspension. Basically looks the same. I may try to trade up but im quite happy with my model. They also made a spyder back in the 2012 model year, the 987 chassis.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Looks like someone is enjoying life.

5. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Will that come in a manual ? Any idea what redline is ?

MDS

6. Exoticar Auto

Exoticar Auto F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 17, 2004
    Tampa Bay FL.
    Full Name:
    Exoticar Auto
    Yes manual only initially but i heard the PDK is coning to later on for the he first time . 8k red line from what im reading.

mikesufka likes this.
  7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Congrats. VERY under rated car!!!

8. JayO

JayO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Congrats on the Spyder! I have a new one on order - it was supposed to arrive by late May, but who knows now....

9. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Congratulations. I have a PTS Mexico Blue 981 Spyder that I ordered new, and it's still the last car that I would ever sell. I've owned a couple of 987 Spyders before as well, and they are equally as special.

I've been a huge advocate of the Spyder for years, and have tried to make people understand how special they are. I know of multiple owners of large Porsche collections, think 918 Spyder, GT3RS, GT2RS, all of the big cars, and each one of them says if they are honest, the 981 Spyder is their favorite car in their collection to actually drive. They are that good.

Underblu likes this.
  10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats on the new car! Do they still have the useless convertible top that the 987 version had?

11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The 982 comes with the dash wart, so the 981 is preferable.

12. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Have a pts one too. Best P car I own, more so than my 3rs's and air-cooled. I actually don't want the larger brakes, and prefer it's skinnier tires. It's the ultimate legal speed enjoyment. We even took it on dirt roads down in Mexico with top down haha.