308 IGNITION COIL WITH ELECTRONIC MODULE | FerrariChat

308 IGNITION COIL WITH ELECTRONIC MODULE

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jack.pe, Apr 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Hey all,

Have received a 308 which is currently struggling to start. I think Carbs will need as service but before that wanted to check for spark. All 8 cylinders are sparking to but to me it looks like a weak spark, often orange on colour. My fort thought was.. look at the coil, I've had similar issues with an esprit in the past and it was down to that. However when I looked at my (1980 production year carb car) car I saw a coil I've not seen before. It's made by Magneti Marelli and seems to have some sort of electronic ignition module tacked on. Found a pic online.. was wondering if I can just replace the coil element on this or if it can be serviced? Or is there any way of testing it?
    Any help much appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Looks like it’s for the Injection cars that uses electronic ignition, I can see the module under the coil. My Lancia and Fiat uses the same coil

3. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    No mine is a carb car, I think some of the carb cars use this too..

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you do a search using "AEI200A", you should get some prior threads with more information. It's used on late euro carb 308 (not used on any US version) so Mike reference to Lancia and Fiat use makes sense. I'd be more suspicious of the module (which seems is also used on some GM here in the US so is available here) rather than the coil, but still could be either if you're having trouble.

5. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Thanks, I checked the distributor cap and think that was the issue. Was badly corroded and pitted. I cleaned it up and it stata yes right up and ran really well. Will still need to replace it though I think..

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My Euro 1978 308 GTS (25125) had that same set up and a single distributor. Was very reliable while I had her.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In Europe a very nice electronic ignition was an option on the 308. Not terribly common but a good system.

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Mine had all kinds of goodies, like a factory fitted four outlet sport exhaust, 16" wheels, deep front spoiler, and possibly the 285 hp engine with P6 cams. Unable to positively prove that last one. No AC, so sold her before returning to the US.

f355spider and miketuason like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sounds like a nice car.