430 - How much more is resale red worth? | FerrariChat

430 How much more is resale red worth?

Discussion in '360/430' started by goto35march, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    Everyone keeps telling me resale red

So how much more is it worth?

F430 spider

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Shop blue cars and you’ll see

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're buying a color because of resale, that kind of defeats the entire purpose, right? Buy the color that appeals to you, and that you can find. When I first was shopping for my 360, I wanted a resale red but then an Azzurro California car came along that was mint and it appealed to my inner self much better than common red.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bzubi, Red 27, Racedrvr and 5 others like this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    The red Ferrari is the cliche'. Some folks like living the cliche'. Some like red. Resale for some may be easier.
    But with that said, I'm betting unique exterior and interior color pairings will have their market among those who buy what they like and cut their own path. And with some, the rare colors are the sought after ones that will bring above average money.

Selling a red Ferrari puts you in the pool with a lot of other folks and I'm thinking it can make an average car a lot harder to sell.

5. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Beautiful

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I do not look at a red Ferrari as cliche. I look at is as historical. And, frankly, nothing takes your breath away as a much as a red Ferrari.

You can sell a red Ferrari for more but you also pay more to buy one. It's a wash in my opinion. Only real benefit that I know of is that you will likely be able to sell a red Ferrari faster.

Note - I'm not trying to put down other colors. I hope to expand my horizons at some point. The blue Ferrari above is a great example.

Apollo 11, van22, psych0hans and 2 others like this.
  7. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    I've owned three Ferraris (still have two of them). The first was black and the next two were charcoal gray. I say go with the color you like best.

Red 27, jjsaustin and EastMemphis like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If I had to guesstimate I'd say 5-10% more.

van22, Mimmo Blue and Manda racing like this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That seems about right to me. Perhaps closer to the 5% mark. That's the ask, not the sell.

When I bought my car, I had the choice between two, a Rosso Corsa and the Azzurro California one I bought. The difference was about $5k. Both cars had about the same miles and pedigree. The money wasn't the thing that made the deal for me as that was noise in the signal.

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    How much more than what color? Black tends to get less and yellow is less still and generally hard to sell. While I would never buy one, silver is popular. I bet 10 years ago you couldn't give away a white Ferrari but today there is demand. What's the gap? Who knows and it really depends on what you are measuring.

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    The mistake is thinking it's about value. It's not, it's liquidity. Other colors have a greater spread between the bid and the ask because they're less common. If you have to sell right away, yes red will bring a higher price. If you have time to wait, the highest prices can be fetched by rarer colors.

12. A_Scuderia_F430

Oct 31, 2012
    SE + DE
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Ferrari scene must be the most worrying group of people I ever came across.
    Or if it's a US thing... Don't think it's the same in Europe.

Are you buying a car with a spec because you want one and dreamed about that fantastic color and spec, or do you buy what the next owner would like?
    It's not an investment, it's a driver.
    Stop worrying about depreciation and value, get the car that you've dreamed about.
    The time will never be just right!
    Drive it, enoy it. If you ever sell it, you'll get what you'll get.
    If you can't take the depreciation, maybe you can't afford a Ferrari?
    Then save up more money and wait another year, and then get what YOU want.

3POINT8, SlowScud, Kitchdog and 6 others like this.
  13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    This. Someone looking for a TdF Blu car will pay asking price because they will have been looking a long time and there aren’t many of them. But if the owner needs to sell in a hurry, unless lucky that a buyer who has been looking is on the market at that precise point in time, it may not sell as high as a comparable red one. If your car is red, you may have an easier time selling it, but it won’t necessarily fetch a higher price because it likely will be competing with several other red cars, and they may be in better condition or have different options. All of these statements sound contradictory, but each is true.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

van22, SRLC716, Skidkid and 5 others like this.
  14. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    only reason i ask i actually Ferrari dealer salesmen was telling me "THIS IS RESALE RED. COME ONE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF RESALE RED"

Wanted to punch him lol (this is ferrari of san diego.)

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    There are just too many bad salesmen in this world.

16. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    US market is very special. I think the Europeans owners are more laid back and drive their cars more in general.

kes7u likes this.
  17. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree with everything above....

For most people buying a Ferrari represents "buying" the car of their dreams.... Get the color that you want.

Some people would tell you to get a certain color so you can "sell" the car of your dreams.... It just doesn't make sense to me.

kes7u and KC360 FL like this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    EastMemphis and E60 M5 like this.
  19. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I have more than a few cars I have built for myself by myself. I have never built a car for the next owner.
    Concerning cars I bought for myself; I have never considered how much resale would be affected by anything I chose to buy, upgrade, or improve-- and never what color I would live with.

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It’s a tradition thing.... worn out one you might say. “ just as long as it’s red....”

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And of course, if you like red, then buy a red car. Me I like the non traditional. And I can tell you I get compliments on the color of my 360 (azzurro blue) all the time. Not sure without the unique color combo the I would get the same for the expected "red Ferrari" --- not that it matters to me. Just saying that most seem impressed with the color being "not red".

EastMemphis and Manda racing like this.
  22. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Ya. That blue is gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    You know if you are thinking about getting red just because it has higher resale value, realize you are buying the car used so you will be paying more money up front because you are buying the car from someone that has the same perspective. In other words, while the resale value may be higher on red, you are paying more for the car to begin with so it is a wash.

If you were buying the car new and all colors cost the same that is the only time to get red, for the sole purpose of resale value.

Again if you like red, by all means buy red

24. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I'll give my unsubstantiated and highly biased opinion...

I think you will find that used Ferraris that are red will have more previous owners than other colors.
    I think red is the color most first time owners chose as it is iconic, and its hard to mistake it for anything but a Ferrari.
    People with non-traditional colors buy them because they love the way they look, not because they are thinking resale.
    My first Ferrari (308GTSi) was red; ironically it had been painted over that light metallic blue. It also had about 8 previous owners.

If you like red, buy it.

Disclaimer: My current Ferrari is blue as was my previous one. I currently have two other blue cars in the garage.

Need4Spd likes this.
  25. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    This reminds me of when the Ducati 916 motorcycle came out.

They said you can get it in any color you want, as long as it is red!

For me, if it isn't red, it isn't a Ferrari.

Other's views may differ.

Apollo 11 likes this.