430 - When a F430 becomes expensive | FerrariChat

430 When a F430 becomes expensive

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Apr 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #1 RichardCH, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Ok so I bought my F430 spider new in 2008, I paid circa $270,000 (in Switzerland) but with Carbon Seats and Carbon Brakes (+$20,000) great options by the way no regrets, I have driven it relatively conservatively, 12 years later I have circa 22k miles , its been loved and cherished, no track time, I always switch the box into neutral at traffic lights In the last 3 years , it has needed, an F1 pump, circa $4k, Potentiometer, circa, $5k
    and now a new clutch circa $9k, hmmmm

Whats kinda weird is that my 430 Scuderia, same month build, whilst having half the mileage, needed none of the above, but my Challange Stradale needed the F1 pump

And before any of you speak the useless power warranty doesnt cover the clutch, just be prepared girls

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I have around 21k on my CS and haven’t replaced any of those things.... yet.

I’ve never shifted into neutral at traffic lights. That’s the first I’ve ever heard of this method.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I never think about it.

Its Italian, its old, its not a Porsche. Pay-up buttercup

DGPF, carguyjohn350, tatry68 and 4 others like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yeh it happens. Uve probably seen my costs since 2006 i posted in this forum detailing all the work since new

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    not forgetting the lower wishbones and lower steering column last year too I should add, it seems once you hit a certain mileage it all happens

DGPF likes this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

what happened to the lower wishbone? Potholes?

Can't think of a reason to replace the lower steering column..... what happened?

7. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Assuming you went to the dealer because all of those seem extremely high replacement costs even the clutch is high by about 50%. Had my potentiometer replacement quoted by my specialized Indy at 700-800 installed. Ended up doing it myself and saving a good amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #8 arizonaitalian, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    yup, those items plus exhaust manifolds, plus engine/transmission mounts, suspension bushings, maybe cats...those are the typical wear items on these cars and they are pricey.

I put just over $40,000 into my CS over 7 years (1 clutch "early" due to the damn position sensor failing, 1 exhaust manifold, 3x majors, 5x annuals, front bushings, tires 2x, a few other minor bits here and there). The only significant non-regular maint was the clutch and the exhaust manifold. But, owning it 7 years, a clutch in there someplace is to be expected if you drive it, and the manifolds are sadly a well known issue. So its not like a bunch of stuff broke, the car was reliable other than the F1 position sensor failure and the manifold going bad (was diagnosed as bad based on a CEL, no damage done nor did it strand me or "break"). So even with a car that "only" had one major "I broke on you" moment in 7 years (the F1 sensor), it was still $40,000.

Of course the car went from $120k to $180k in value while I owned it, so it worked out fine :)

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I always did shift to N on my F1 cars. Not sure it really does anything, but I "drove it like a traditional manual" and that included letting out the clutch pedal at rest.

10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I hear you. I'm just not sure shifting to neutral in an F1 is the same thing as letting out the clutch pedal in a manual. I too let the clutch pedal out in a manual if I'm sitting at a red light but mainly because it's easier on me. Shifting into neutral and back into gear at every red light IMO is adding wear in an F1 system..... not reducing it.

11. c6vette

c6vette Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    St. Petersburg
    Keeping the car in gear at a stop causes more wear on the throw out bearing. Once that starts to leak your clutch will likely be toast.

12. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've had my CS 10 years and 11K miles (21K total) and I haven't developed this issue yet. Still on the original clutch. Serviced at Ferrari of Atlanta every year. My CS never sits more than 7 days without being run up the freeway.

Nowhere in the operating manual does it say to shift into neutral at a stop. That said, I'm not at red lights for 10 minutes at a time in idle.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

If u think about it, it’s roughly 6k a year ,$500 a month. Not that bad for a race car for the streets!

Apollo 11 likes this.
  14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  15. vh7177

vh7177 Rookie

Jun 12, 2017
    some say it does while others say their is no difference. regardless I put it neutral at lights just in case haha.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

17. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I know I know. I shouldn't have added the thread drift but your post forced me to go look at the latest track times. I've also been on the F40 forum watching guys debate a similar topic and it makes sense. Spend all this money to go slower than the new Corvette? No, I don't want a Corvette but nor do I want a Bentley. I love Ferrari. But I have been shopping 911's more than anything.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Well I don’t disagree about 911 but the experience isn’t there for me. I find myself liking older cars more and more. Newer cars are too fast to enjoy, too computerized and well I miss my Testarossa over my FF

19. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree 100%. Sorry I should've been more clear. My interest is in older 911's. I love all the Matt Farah videos on Youtube. So much great 911 content out there. Hopefully I can find one someone else spent a lot of time restoring soon.

The more they talk about modding and resto-modding older 911's the more I see the light. Ferraris are best enjoyed factory original while Porsche is all about adding custom touches. I like it. I'll never move away from Ferrari. I'll just add Porsche.

20. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    My Porsche at redline was nothing compared to my 430 at redline.
    I’ll never go back to a Porsche.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    MY 2008 Scud I purchased new in 2008 has 11,000 miles on it and nothing has gone bad

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    well unfortunately it will it seems, the mechanic said my lower steering column was simply worn out, I didnt feel any play, I have asked for the part back to inspect

23. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    #23 RichardCH, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    so got my F430 Spider back today, have been dropping by on my way to work over the last 2 weeks in the workshop, must say ATD Ferrari parts Germany did a fab job delivering everything on schedule, I will use them again, although Scuderia parts UK were also very competitive (unlike Eurospares UK delivery times last year what a total joke !!) and with the new clutch and lower steering column spline installed its certainly driving very well so far. One of the minicats had tore the O2 sensor mounting on the Kline 200 cell cats and had to be welded at the thread joint but otherwise ok. The parts cost $4k and I expect a labour bill of at least $6k

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I thought on a F1 when in neutral the clutch is still engaged. It is not like a 3-pedal where you can lift your foot off the clutch when in neutral. So no difference if in neutral or in gear (for F1.

25. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    This is because Ferrari do not care. Not because they are slower.
    I’m a professional race car driver and an engineer. My specialty is suspension.

At one weekend I was hired to setup a 991.1 GT3 at Sonoma Raceway. I brought my F430 to play as well as we have tons of time that weekend. My F430 was consistently 1.5 seconds faster the same weekend in a lot of back to back comparison. We run similar tires Cup2 on the 991 and Advan A052 on my F430.

We are comparing a car that came out in 2005 and 2015. 10 year apart in technology. The Porsche even has rear wheel steering. Yet the F430 is faster.

The only thing I changed on the Ferrari is spring rate and brakes. The stock one is way too soft and geared for street. Now I’m at the limit at what the shock can handle so I’m exploring possibilities of changing the shock as well. So yes, in stock form the Ferrari is most likely slower due to Ferrari really cater it for comfortable street use.

Apollo 11 and Flea7 like this.