488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 33 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    In fairness, didn’t he buy a McLaren and a R8 at some point...? I seem to recall he owned those cars in the distant past. I think during that time, he was still able discern a difference driving characteristics, when exterior still mattered, and when cars still excited him.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #802 noone1, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    I can't be bothered to read just a wall of text and click 100 links in it. Can't believe you bother to search for all these random posts you take issue with LOL

The exotic market got hit massively in the recession and everyone here knows it. Residual values took a big dive and everyone knows it. No one is talking about what happened to some limited and rare 20 year old F40. Your graph is dumb and worthless for what was obviously the discussion of modern exotics and near-term values. A graph like that tells you nothing about any car in particularly and is proven wrong for one car already which begs the question of why the hell anyone would want a weighted "market cap" graph for classic Ferraris. Last time I checked, you can't buy a weighted index of Ferraris when you go to the dealer...

"Can you imagine if I took your advice and exited the market in the 2007-2008 time frame?"

Was that my advice? Did I tell people to sell before it crashes or did I suggest wait to buy? Can you maybe link to that point in particular rather than a bunch of your obsession-links?

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don't say that out loud, you'll be ridiculed for it.

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Noone is a sex therapist who is still a virgin.

paulchua, Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    On the front end for sure, but definitely not the back end.

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Oh do share! :) Is there a video link we can watch?

7. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Second half of that sentence describes pretty much all Millenials...

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You guys are too much LOL

So back to the topic. Pistas at MSRP... Some guy just posted a nice red and black spec Pista straight from the factory with delivery miles for MSRP. Is there anything else to say about the topic? You could probably buy it for under MSRP and it's literally as new of a car as you could get.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeh - maybe you should make an offer on that one red one with the mismatched stripe and blue seats and ditch the skateboard.

PTG1 likes this.
  10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Cooler skateboards right around the corner, especially in this economic climate ;)

11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Maybe, but how are you so sure? Have you made an offer?

paulchua likes this.
  12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
  13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #813 noone1, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    I'm just assuming someone wanting to sell a $500K car without even driving it would accept some arbitrary amount greater than $0 under MSRP to move it in this climate. I don't know if it's $1K or $10K or $50K, but it doesn't take long for the opportunity cost of that money to be more than the discount.

For all I know he's trying to sell his car before actually paying for it, avoiding the sales tax. I mean, it's got delivery miles and all the pictures are at the dealer. He might be losing $30K in sales tax alone unless he traded $500K worth of other cars for it...

14. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    Thank you for being able to understand what I wanted to ask and apologies to everyone for not being able to express myself clearly... thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It will help it run better- these cars and engines are designed to be driven! Note- that is different from abused. As long as you are operating within expected tolerances and exercise some mechanical sympathy you will be fine. Actually, using the auto mode all the time is probably not very good for the car because I find the shift points are designed for fuel economy and smooth cruising. Thus the engine never really gets to revving. I put nearly 20,000 on my 599 back in the day, and many of those were at the track where I really drove it. My mechanic always said my 599 was the best running he ever saw. If you are a world class athlete whats better for you, sitting on the couch or getting out and running? Same thing here. Use it or lose it my friends!

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good luck

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What was that- 6 years ago? And then wouldn’t it make sense to limit the expertise to those two cars and for all other vehicles, by all means participate in the discussion but not from a point of knowledge or expertise- just as a participant.

Shadowfax, paulchua and Thecadster like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh, nothing wrong with auto-mode, my friend. I apologize in advance to the community for my lack of restraint with @noone1. It comes from literally years of head-scratching.

Auto mode. The context was a member said auto mode is not the optimal way to experience the full paddle setup. @noone1, of course, disagreed, not because of his own experiences, but what many of us have learned is to 'disagree' as the motive in of itself.

Therein lies the root of my consternation. That said, it makes the forums fun for me, so in many ways, I'm grateful for @noone1

Shadowfax and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So true! I mean there are literally folks that say I'm going to wait it out when you peruse the 8-year-old "bubble thread"

That's almost a decade of would of, could of, should of...

20. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    every person on this board who has more than 1,000 posts shld be banned unless they can prove they own at least one f car. can be anything, 50k mile 355, etc...

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Not sure they need to be banned but how about if you dont own a Ferrari, have never owned a Ferrari, and you never plan to own a Ferrari, that you restrict yourself from commenting on the ownership and driving experience of a Ferrari? Dont pretend to be an expert on things you know nothing about. Not too difficult of a concept you would think.

Clay512TR, jim g and Ash Patel like this.
  22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ur right - banned is prob aggressive. they shld be limited to 5 posts a week, that way they wld be forced to think about what they post.

dustman, jim g and SoCal to az like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is not a rampant problem on FChat I don’t think. It’s a few individuals pretending to be experts when their expertise comes from conveying the experiences of others- whether it be you tube, magazines or something else. At some point you would think they would just be embarrassed to post anything after being so wrong so many times. But I guess that’s where the word troll comes from.

24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Fantastic post as always, Jerry!

Couldn’t agree more and I give you two personal examples:

Being european, my daily driver is a BMW F11 turbo diesel. I typically drive 100 km per day, 95% or better of those are highway kms. I do the same every day for years, so although I don’t own a radar detector (illegal here and if discovered, the police are entitled to aprehend your car on the spot), I know where they usually are, so I floor it most of the time. I also follow BMW’s owners’ manual to the letter and preventive servicing is my middle name.

The result? Car runs smoothly and strong. Last time I pulled in at the official dealer, they said they’d never seen a cleaner DPF or intake on any F11 regardless of mileage.

My 458:

I knew the previous owner. He tracked the car on occasion and preventive maintenance was his middle name too. Bought it 4 years ago, drive it hard and I hand over the car to the official dealer at all the appropriate intervals. Cut no corners: whatever the car needs, the car gets. Even before it needs it. Better to exaggerate than cutting corners.

The result: car runs flawlessly and last time I pulled in for its mandatory yearly inspection (the equivalent to our MOT), the car delivered 575 horsepower on the test bench. It actually gained horsepower over time, although very marginally, instead of following the natural rule of losing power over time.

Long story short: if you service it right and respect operating temperatures, you can and should drive it like you stole it. It sure is A LOT better than city traffic or driving it slowly.

Jerry’s analogy of the athlete versus couch potato is perfect.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. crazedboutcars

crazedboutcars Karting

Dec 14, 2018
    Dubai, U.A.E.
    Full Name:
    Madhav Kanchan
    Thanks much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.