F8 - F8 issue already!?! | FerrariChat

F8 F8 issue already!?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by VHlambo580, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    So... after months of waiting my F8 finally arrived. I had it transported to my detailer as soon as I was done buying it. When I dropped it off I noticed this weird spiderweb look on the tint in the lexicon but wrote it off to still having plastic or something as it is brand new. My detailer sent me a picture this morning and it showed this “spiderweb” was now in 5 different spots. Apparently the plastic tint on the lexicon is somehow bubbling and peeling off? I called the dealer (who is amazing btw) and obviously it will be covered by warranty and replaced, but man how irritating! Has anyone seen or heard about this?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like something dripped on the car from above. Sorry for your hassle.:(

mathewr likes this.
  3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Interesting. You know what that almost looks like? One time I had these clear plastic rifle magazines and I used a cleaning chemical in a spray can and it caused the plastic to spider web and crack in a very similar manner. Are you sure that's the tint lifting and not cracking in the window itself?

Ray

4. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    It’s a good question. I am going to swing by the detailer tomorrow and take a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    reminds me of how some fungus growing on a petri dish . sorry mate. let us know how it goes.

Tamahal likes this.
  6. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I own a business that repairs/modifies interior rear view mirrors and have seen a similar effect in mirrors we have received when the seal on the edge of the glass fails. From what I can see in your pictures it looks like there is a black backing adhered to the underside of the plexiglass. Looks like the adhesive is letting go.

dustman likes this.
  7. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks so much RaceMX-M3 - I was thinking something kind of similar but super glad for the confirmation. They will need to replace the whole lexicon back which hopefully should not be difficult.

8. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Should be easy enough to replace the rear plexiglass. These kind of issues tend to come in batches. Hopefully it isn't a recurring issue.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry you have to deal with this on your new baby. But thankfully, It's VERY easy for the dealer to replace, and way better than paint or mechanical problems.
    Enjoy your new F8 in good health!! Post pictures when you can

10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Agree looks like delamination from under layer. Wonder how unique this occurrence. If that let go after the three years it could get messy unless of course you show a lot of loyalty along the line. Have to think this is rare.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lexan, which is a trade name for polycarbonate, needs to be coated to prevent discoloration from exposure to UV. Furthermore, if it comes into contact with gasoline, it is prone to shattering.

12. Karelg

Karelg Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Karel G
    Rembrandt and jm2 like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Is it possible it was caused by a chemical on a rag that the detailer may have used?

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Any gasoline or solvents that are gasoline based will cause discolouration and splintering.

15. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Is that from the heat of the engine? They will need to replace my entire plexiglass (or whatever it is). It is still at the detailer now but will bring it to the dealer on Tuesday. I’m wondering if this will become a recall item.

Dave

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Plexiglass is the trade name for acrylic.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This easily could have happened. Someone may have been wiping off some spots and didnt realize what was on the cloth. I haven't heard of this happening to any other car.

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You guys want a car made of plastic because it’s cool and whatever, this is what you get...

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lexan( polycarbonate) is an extremely strong, lightweight, clear material that, unlike acrylic, can be formed and bent due to its flexibility. It must be specially coated to avoid discolouration by uv rays. Furthermore, gasoline and its derivative liquids will cause it to splinter in spider like fractures.

nmcclure and Drson like this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    IMO someone has spilled something on it, Factory or dealer . Given its on the lower edge I dare say something on hands / gloves closing the hatch.

So factory missed it ? Don't believe they are at fault
    Dealer missed it ? NO EXCUSE should have said something
    My bet dealer did it.

Solid State likes this.
  21. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you look at the second picture of the first post you can see the finger of someones' hand holding the lid up. With this reference the spider marks do look in the size/shape of fingerprints. Substantiates Angelo's post above.

Rembrandt likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild be interested to know when they replace it what the price is for the part

23. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    ~€5000 by scuderiaparts
    It means 7000-10000 by dealer

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There are strict cleaning procedures that must be followed with Lexan. Do's- Warm water with a mild soap like Dawn, Joy or Palmolive diluted with water. Use a soft sponge or micro fibre cloth. . Rinse thoroughly with warm water and dry with clean micro fibre cloth.

Do not - Use car wax, windex or any ammonia based cleaner as it will break down the UV protection. Gasoline or any of its derivatives making contact with the Lexan will cause splitering and shattering.

25. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    This is absolutely chemical based... caused by chemical getting on this plexiglass.

I have had this issue but on boats. I had a 29' Fountain that had this issue but i only had the boat a year and traded up to a 35' Fountain. Both boats had a short tinted plexi windscreen and I learned that this spider web crazing came from a wax like protectant that had petroleum distillates in it.

Fountain replaced the windscreen and I had to pay labor. I from that point on only used soap and water and Novus Plexi cleaner and never had further issues.