Sliding Carpet on 328 - how to prevent? | FerrariChat

Sliding Carpet on 328 - how to prevent?

Discussion in '308/328' started by LuigiVampa, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    The carpet mats on my 328 slide forward all the time and sometimes interfere with the gas pedal.

I bought these things called Eagle Klaw. You are supposed to drill a hole through the carpet and at the bottom is a spike which prevents the carpet from moving.

I'm against using carpet tape because eventually you want to pull the carpets up to vacuum and there will be residual glue.

Before I go down this path I am wondering if anyone else has any solutions?

The only thread I see on this subject is about ten years old filled with broken links.

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I use a 1" strip of velcro on each end of the mat. Works great.

waymar and 308 milano like this.
  3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I pull my floor mats back periodically when I am at a red light or stop sign.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I've tried several methods.

If they are not your priceless irreplaceable museum-quality factory floor carpets, just punch a hole in each back corner of the floor mat and use a piece of wire (or zip-tie) through the hole and around the short post between the seat bottom and seat rail. It all under the seat so nobody can see the holes or wire.

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  6. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I’ve successfully used these things called “Carpet Grabbers” for many years. I don’t know if they are still available...

Alan
    N.J.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Someone here made those years ago. I thought the idea fizzled after some people had them tear up the ends of their mats.

I had almost forgotten about those

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Birdman made and sold those, he stop making them because it was shredding the rug and eating it up after some usage.
    Instead, here’s what I did to my rugs and you can’t copy it’s right protected. LOL:D Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login :D

gigaleff, NoGoSlow and JLF like this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My car had a couple installed; I took them off because they wouldn't allow the seat to adjust forward enough.

10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yeah good in theory but with constant usage did more damage then good.

11. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I should have been more clear in my endorsement of Carpet Grabbers...I use them on my AFTER MARKET rugs, which sit atop my virginal factory mats. The grippy rubber bottoms of the aftermarket mats hold the factory mats in place...I’ve never had a problem with the mats fouling the pedals. I also set my seat pretty far back so I haven’t had the interference problem mentioned by Thorn.

Alan
    N.J.

12. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If I stop the mats from sliding, I want have cruise control.

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Check out EagleKlaw. I've been seeing them all over Facebook and ordered a set. Haven't received them yet.

14. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    There's a cheap fix for this, with which I've had good success: First, take the carpet out of the car, leave in garage. Second, drive the car;)

15. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    My carpets are so thin that they would fold over with normal use as well as slide around, more like a thin towel than a carpet, but they are original! I went to Lowes and bought the thinest indoor /outdoor carpet that had a rubber backing, cut out a piece to carefully fit the carpet and glued it to the underside. Result is that the carpet is more firm and now has a rubber backing so that it doesn't slide around. Extra thickness is not noticeable when viewing.

16. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i have found the fabric snap kits from mcmaster-carr to be the most reliable. they have black,s.s., and nickle finishes on the females.
    there are 2pcs: a studded male #95707A684, and the female which snaps onto the stud #95690A151 from the carpet side.
    a small pilot hole is drilled into the floor pan for each stud between the seat mounts. then the stud is screwed into the pilot hole in the floor pan.
    a mandrel (optional) should be used to swage the female snap thru the carpet.
    you may want to use a small dab of JB WELD on each stud head as the floor pan is thin and soft. the stud may pull out otherwise after repeated carpet removal.

i have never had a problem with this installation.

17. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I used the carpet grabbers pictured above, wish I hadn't. They tore up the edge bead. Don't use anything that uses a sharp point like what you pictured. I switched to wide strips of velcro. Not perfecet, but better than ripping up mats like two of the above proffers.

18. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    I just use tie wraps .There is a gap between the rail and seat supports and it slides in behind the bolt .
    Used a pic already posted to illustrate.

19. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
  20. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
  21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pretty clever idea.

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You may need to examine the fiberglass floor pan to find evidence, but in the early 308s the carpets were secured by TWO snap fasteners, screwed into the floor, then the carpets had the opposite snap, which when viewed from the top were simply a chrome ring that snapped over the gizmo into the carpet.

Maybe a retrim omitted these datails??

Or, I'm not at all sure it carried all the years thru to the 328??

Birdman here also made some cool "carpet grabbers" that bolted under the front seat bolts, and clipped onto the foot of the mat.

23. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
  24. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Big Tex is correct...my 1988.5 328GTB is factory-equipped with metal snaps to hold the carpets in place:

(If your car is missing these snaps it is no longer original and should be parted-out immediately).

Alan
    NJ.

25. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Must be a GTS thing, my '88.5 does not have snaps or holes for them It certainly does not have new carpet.