For your delectation in these trying times ... | FerrariChat

For your delectation in these trying times ...

Discussion in '308/328' started by JC Andruet, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Thank you for posting this :)

2. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    My favourite of all the Car journalists. I loved his later article on the Miura SV he borrowed, a duck egg blue one. If I could ever afford a Miura it would have to be that one.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think he wrote at least two more. July 81 on a comparison with an Esprit (my first magazine purchased at age 13 for the Ferrari) and one a few years later about owning one and "why it had to go". I think that car was the same as the one from the Lotus article too.

4. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    The Esprit Turbo was pitted against one of the first 308 GTBi models in the UK by Car magazine. It was released in June 1981, and one of , if not the first issues of Car magazine I bought :

https://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Car_Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_Ferrari_308GTBi.htm

The "How it went and Why it had to go" article was in a different magazine (Supercar Classics) and was written by Steve Cropley. It featured a Vetroresina which would have been 9 years old by the time he bought it. I'll see if I can find the magazine/article and scan it :)

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My is fading a bit.

I have both still. I have kept that issue of Car in a safe place for almost 40 years...., wow.

6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    ((he shook his head slowly with appreciation and wonder and respect. ‘Buongiorno, signor,’ he said. ‘Arrividerci’ And then with a grin in the best English he could summon: ‘signor, you go more slow, eh?’))

Would that all my interactions w LEOs ended like this...

7. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Having just bought that edition of Car magazine and an Elton John Greatest Hits cassette in the same shop :

https://www.discogs.com/Elton-John-Elton-Johns-Greatest-Hits-Rock-Of-The-Westies/release/4526743

Image Unavailable, Please Login share pic

I read the Ferrari V's Lotus article whilst listening to the newly purchased cassette as my mate drove us to the pub. I can remember that beautiful day as clearly as if it were yesterday :) and I still have the cassette ... :D

I must have kept that copy of Car magazine for 30 + years.

Interesting to see how Ferrari have gone from strength to strength in the last 39 years, and Lotus have ... well not exactly blazed such a magnificent a trail ...

8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Wow... this dates me. I remember reading an Esprit vs Ferrari article back in the early 80's in either C&D or R&T. I can't recall which one, or the issue... but I'm sure Tommy probably has a copy.

Have always loved the shape of the Esprit; even considered buying one for a few days, before I bought the 308. Still satisfied with my final choice, though. ;)

9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Funny to read how the sound of the exhaust was subject to critique. Some things never change (the critique, not the exhaust note).
    “Say what you like, a Ferrari is still a Ferrari. In fact, the 308GTB does not sound especially good from the outside...”

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I would hit the bookstores first of every month looking for "308" in the contents of every car magazine as soon as they hit the stands. I scored that one that summer which took half of my weekly allowance I'm sure.. Speaking of specific memories I vividly recall having that in school with me that fall in 8th grade and reading it (again) in Mrs Crall's music class. I didn't have much 308 eye candy at my disposal that early on except a couple of magazines and Magnum PI so I looked at that issue a LOT. In that issue there is a story about Jerry Wiegert and his Vector. I don't have it in front of me but I seem to remember him standing next to one with the door open and I think he was wearing some kind of jumpsuit. He had dark hair and I always though he was half asian or something, he just looked like that to me in that picture, lol.

Anyway fast forward to 2002 and FCA's National Meet. I was outside a hotel in LA waiting for a friend to come down from the room when I saw my first Vector in the flesh. I had a very primitive digital camera that was big and kinda futuristic looking. I was taking these pictures of it (badly from the lack of light) when someone asked me if I was with the press (you had to see the camera) I turned around and it was Jerry Wiegart - and I ONLY knew that because I saw him so much in that issue of CAR. That is the only picture I have of him. I should have had someone get a good one of the both of us.

We talked for a little while and I told him about that magazine which he remembered which was really cool to me based on how it was burned into my memory. Apparently he had some hand in the development of the Jet Ski. He gave me his card and I seem to remember it had a Jet Ski on it for some reason.

Anyway, that's my June 1981 CAR magazine story
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I have a stack of 80s Car 'magazines' in my loft because I had a subscription at the time. After they'd done the Esprit Turbo vs the 308 GTBi piece they ran a competition for an Esprit Turbo in the magazine. I wonder where the two test cars are now? My guess would be that the GTBi is still around and the Lotus is long since gone. I must dig out the magazine a check some time.

12. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

What a fun read! I don’t have the magazine, but have been driving an Hci Esprit and a QV back to back over the last few weeks. Those comparisons in the article still hold true.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Tvjake2 and mmyhorses like this.
  13. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Nice story about Wiegert !!
    I remember that issue of Car all too well too !! The car was was a black example of the W8, Wiegert looked to be wearing an air force or navy flying suit (hardly surprising as he was interested in aeronautics and aerospace very early on in his career) added to which the Vector used a lot of aerospace materials/componentry in its construction.
    His car must have seemed like a spaceship when he released it (I know I looked at the car feature with complete awe) the photography was excellent and made the car look stunning.

When you consider Lamborghini, Ferrari etc were still forming their chassis from tubes and box section, the Vector's construction was something else altogether.

I remember Wiegert was withering in his condemnation of the Italian supercar manufacturers, he recounted how he was sick of listening to wealthy owners at cocktail parties boasting how much their clutch replacement had cost them on their Countachs and 365 Berlinetta Boxers. And to avoid such issues, the Vector used a 3 speed autobox that was re-engineered to manage the V8 twin turbo 650hp motor with ease.

A Vector W8 sold recently : https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/az20/arizona/lots/r0148-1991-vector-w8-twin-turbo/841859

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Funny, many years ago, I had a Lotus Turbo Esprit HCi, and I looked at buying a QV (off someone who is now a fellow FChatter). Drove them back to back and decided to keep the Lotus. I wrote an article about it in the Club Lotus magazine (not as detailed as that one, but it did bring back memories). I later traded the Esprit on a new TVR - possibly the worst automotive decision of my life! Anyway, 15 years later, I again was looking for a QV, and bought the very same car!

15. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    I've not checked the Lotus, but the Ferrari is shown as no longer in existence on the UK MOT site (for our friends in the US, the MOT is the Ministry Of Transport). And THE MOT is how we refer to our statutory yearly vehicle inspection.
    The Ferrari may have been exported, written off/stolen or been off the road so long, it has no MOT records.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Was the car in the "why it had to go" article not the same as the one from June 81 CAR?

The tag or something was the same I think.

Something made me believe they were the same car but maybe I am confusing "car" with "writer" because THAT was the same person.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Those cars always fascinated me. Saw on on display in Celebration FL last year. The Wiegart Vector story is interesting. Lots of drama...

My magazine, dug it out this morning.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. JC Andruet

JC Andruet Karting

Jan 16, 2013
    Well I'd like to say they were the same cars, but they weren't, AND that they were the same writers, definitively (but I'm not sure)

The car in the "How it Went And Why it Had to Go" article was a '76 Vetroresina registration number PJU 396R (the R denotes the year the car was registered, and PJU tells you where the car was first registered in the UK) The feature was in SuperCar Classics September 1988 edition and was written by Steve Cropley.

The launch piece was written for Car magazine by Mel Nichols in July 1976, whereas the "Prize Fight" feature in Car June 1981 is uncredited (unless the list of features at the beginning of the magazine specifically credits Steve Cropley ?) though I note there are various images within the feature that have a gentleman driving the cars who looks like Steve Cropley ...

Here's what i'm looking at : https://www.flickr.com/photos/triggerscarstuff/albums/72157629237085301/

The Vectors were very special, and cutting edge for their time.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think now I remember seeing the driver in the 81 story looking exactly like the writer of the "why it had to go" story.

I knew there was something that those two articles shared.

20. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ask Harry - he'll know