Your 308 GT4 Dismantle/Restoration photos needed! | FerrariChat

Your 308 GT4 Dismantle/Restoration photos needed!

Discussion in '308/328' started by CAM-79, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CAM-79

CAM-79 Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    England, UK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Hi,

In short, I bought a 308 GT4 barn find back in 2010, it was all made running but the body work suffered serious rust in places to be usable on the road.

With the classic car market on the rise I couldn't quite stretch to buy another one so it was agreed by a local restoration company that I'd strip it, they'd repair the bodywork and give it a full respray, and I'd rebuild it!

With the money now in the shell, I could have bought another two at least! I've learned a lot from this process but I've got to keep going now.

I have everything including the engine completed stripped.

On the upside, I've started the rebuild, but now I'm looking through the photos I took, I should have taken a lot more and even with the manuals it's difficult to figure out exactly where everything should be.

I've looked through some of the restoration posts on here, but I need a lot more photos!

Do you have any photos of your dismantle of restoration process?

Thanks in advance,

Brent.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

absostone likes this.
  2. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I understand completely. I am putting a gt4 back together myself. I also did not take nearly enough photos while I was taking it apart. It might be helpful if you call out for photos of the part of the car you are working on currently. Or what you will be putting back together next.

3. CAM-79

CAM-79 Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    England, UK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    I think that could go on forever! It's probably not that difficult to get it all working, it would just be nice to route wires etc like they were! It's lucky they are not overly complicated to what I imagine today's standards are.

I'll get my photos online so you can grab a copy of what I have, some of it maybe useful.

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Good luck guys! I did not disassemble mine so reassembly has been challenging. Hardest part is working out the order in which things need to be installed. If you need any photos of specific items I am happy to oblige if I have some.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. CAM-79

CAM-79 Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    England, UK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Great thanks! It's hard enough trying to remember with dissembling it. Have far are you now?

6. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I have a thread going with pics but basically 90% on front trunk; 80% on interior (awaiting carpet install); 80% on engine bay; 80% on rear trunk. Engine and transmission are complete. Interior parts restored and ready to go in after carpet. Need to service CV joints in axles, electrical and hoses to run in engine bay; brake master cylinder to bleed and install. And lots of little items to do! I keep finding areas of bare metal that need paint. Seems the backside of all exterior panels did not even get a coat of primer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. CAM-79

CAM-79 Rookie

Apr 27, 2004
    England, UK
    Full Name:
    Brent
    I did see your thread, it's looking great! Your not massively far off then! Annoying about the paint, would have been nice to have had all that sorted before the build.