What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals. | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dino2400, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Now there's an understatement!
    How is it that the Brits can produce Autocar, week in,week out, with great content, yet the US car rags cant seem to find their own a$$es with their own two hands?
    Just asking.
    I've been reading US car mags for over 60 yrs, and am amazed at how the quality level has reached rock bottom.

Nembo1777, Lusso123 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The nearest one I can think of was Motor Trend Classic, which I thought was pretty good while it lasted, but I guess it didn't sell well enough.

jm2 likes this.
  3. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    No, it's full Italian.

As Dino2400 said, it's published by Editoriale Domus (same of the famous QuattroRuote). Luckily quality is way over all their publications and it winks to many other international production such as Magneto, The Road Rat, Auto Heroes and so on. Paper quality is great, photos are mainly from private archives or the QuattroRuote archive, so photos are mainly never seen before. Article quality and their look, as above, are similar to other productions so way above the average. To me, it is the only Italian magazine that is worth the wait and the cover price (quarterly, 10 euros each issue). At the moment they do not offer any subscription (nor for Italy or ROW), so you need to buy issue singularly. Next one will be released in July if I remember correctly.

Dino2400 and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Part of it is the obeisance to the almighty web. Even a respectable source like Autosport.com has to grind out five or six new pieces a day to satisfy the beast. I cringe every time I see a headline beginning with “How...” or “Why...” or “14 Reasons....”.

jm2 likes this.
  5. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    furmano, gt4me and ChoroQ like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Who is the publisher? Where can this be bought? Subscribed? Website?

Marcel Massini

Dino2400 likes this.
  7. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    Publisher: ED Editoriale Domus
    Subscription: No (atm)
    Periodical: Quarterly
    Language: Italian only (even captions and so on)
    Price: 10 EUR
    Worth the Price: Yes, it's the only Italian mag worth to be bought (money no object) because of the general quality of the product (even if some of the writers are a little bit opinionated imho, but it's because I perfectly understand Italian language)

pilotoCS, Marcel Massini and Dino2400 like this.
  8. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Marcel Massini likes this.
  9. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    Choro just beat me... :D

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you very much.

Marcel Massini

11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you very much.

Marcel Massini

12. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I received Magneto #6 today in good condition. The US agent for Octane and Enzo has signed on to represent the magazine here so I think I’ll subscribe.

jm2 likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bookstores here in Atlanta have all reopened but they are slow getting magazine deliveries; so far a few domestic and no import issues yet, and they say things won't return to normal until the end of the month.

And substantial copies of some magazines were destroyed when the stores closed, so there is no guarantee that an issue you may be waiting for will even show up. You'd be better off ordering those online.

14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have received Magneto #7, my first issue via subscription. (I purchased the first 6 individually.). It is shipped in a sturdy cardboard wrapper.

I’m still awaiting my first subscriber copy of The Road Rat.

15. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Road Rat comes (at least in the UK) in a very sturdy cardboard package so you should have no problems on that score (famous last words). The next issue is imminent but not out yet.

jm2 likes this.
  16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Just to update that Road Rat Issue 5 arrived yesterday (only a few hours after I got an email saying it had been despatched). As stated it arrived in a sturdy cardboard package.

I get the impression with both the Road Rat and Magneto that those involved take pride in their magazines and want you to read and enjoy them. Unlike one other publication I could mention. That encourages me to support them with subscriptions.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I just started a subscription to The Road Rat but have received no notification that the magazine has been sent.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The Road Rat #5

The good news: it’s on the way
    The bad news: DHL

:rolleyes:

jm2 likes this.
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Just picked this up today at Barnes & Noble. Even if all the articles have appeared in the magazine before, I like the compilations, as they pick articles that cover all aspects of the Ferrari passion. One article here even dates from 1962!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, Dino2400 and jm2 like this.
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The new Nov/Dec issue of Vintage Motorsport is out, and it has a fascinating article, with color drawings, of the never-raced Ferrari 637 Indycar. I hadn't known that the Truesports team had been consulted as part of the effort and might have run the car if it had been actually entered.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.
  21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Last week I received issue 6 of The Road Rat, the new(ish) British car magazine. It really is a high quality periodical in design, construction and content, and I guess it would be best described as “high concept.”

The theme of this issue is all Italian. Some of the more interesting articles are about Enzo’s favorite restaurants in the Modena area, with comments from the owners. The back of the magazine always has some interesting information peripheral to the main stories. This time it’s some of Enzo’s favorite recipes from those restaurants.

The magazine avoids typical road tests, covering instead subjects such as the decline of Alfa Romeo and Maserati; Lord Brocket; Italian made objects like espresso machines, meat slicers, watches; a beautiful spread on Italian mountain passes, etc.

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Just arrived at my local newsagent.
    Work a look.

23. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Whenever I am in the USA (not for a few years now) I have always gone to Borders or Barnes and Noble to buy the latest issue of Cavallino. I have been aware that the copies I buy there have a small banner on the front cover which says "Ferrari" across the top corner. I have also bought copies in the UK to complete my collection (not quite there yet) that have this banner. Hortons are selling copies and describing them as "Newstand Edition". Does anyone know if there is a difference apart from the banner on the front cover? I have assumed not. I buy Cavallino for the content and do not care which edition of each issue I have. I would guess that most enthusiasts/magazine collectors feel the same. However, there are presumably a different number of "Subscriber Editions" and "Newstand Editions" so in the future will one or the other be considered more desireable? At the moment I believe that there are no "Newstand Editions" being published. I would also like to assume that no one is so ardent as to collect both editions?!

seb333 likes this.
  24. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Other than the banner on the cover, there is no difference between newsstand and subscriber editions.

seb333 and Ferrari27 like this.
  25. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Thank you!