F355 Gear Lever Jumping Out of Second Gear | FerrariChat

F355 Gear Lever Jumping Out of Second Gear

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've noticed recently that my 355 (5.2) has been jumping out of second gear into neutral. I really need to pull the stick back hard to make sure it stays in there. I haven't noticed any problems with other gears, there are no rattles and the gearstick goes into all gates smoothly when the gearbox is warm.

Is this more likely to be a wear and tear issue on the gearstick mechanism or an adjustment at the rear.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/outside-gearbox-controls.html

I have a new clutch, new 1/2/3 gears and mainshaft, new synchros on 1, 2, 3... My engine and gearbox mounts are good. After the recent overhaul of the gearbox, the clutch pedal engages gear quite high up, but it's not a problem.

At first, the loud clicking noise as the lever jumps out of gear makes me think the passenger seat has moved forward into a detent in the seat track (not that a Spider electric seat would do this), but then I try to accelerate and nothing happens...

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Why was the trans rebuilt?
    Almost sounds like a bent control fork. Like the slider ring isn't engaging all the way.
    When you place it in 2nd, 4th or 6th, how far back on the gate is the shifter? Is it consistent between all the even gears.?

I hope it's fixable by adjustment, but that disheartening

Qavion likes this.
  3. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    I agree. To be sure, you might want to check the adjustment of your linkage. However, my money is on an internal gearbox fault. Too much coincidence that the gearbox was just opened and that you’re not having issues with any other gears.

I had a similar experience with a Porsche 993 gearbox I had regeared. It sucked. Hoping it’s just your linkage but I’m not optimistic.

Qavion likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Dog-teeth, otherwise known as syncro hub, and slider.

But do try a linkage adjustment first.

Qavion likes this.
  5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, gents.

Sorry... seems my memory is getting a little fuzzy... I rechecked my notes...... It wasn't gear sets 1, 2 and 3 (I was confusing it with the synchros changed):

In January 2018 (500 kilometers/ 300 miles ago), I had the gearbox overhauled due to large bits of teeth found on the magplug. One of the main shaft bearings failed and it damaged a lot of components, including the main shaft. I'm not sure which gear set comes as standard with main shaft (1st?), but gears sets 4 and 6 were also damaged.

I don't recall any problems immediately after the overhaul. However, I had a major done 4 months later (about 300 kilometers/200 miles ago) and I did have to take the car back after the leaving the workshop after the major because I couldn't engage some of the higher gears. I helped the technician adjust the gears (me changing gears, the technician doing the adjusting under the car). I can't recall having any problems immediately after that, but as you can see, I haven't done much driving. I'm not 100% sure when the problem started.

Here are a couple of threads associated with the gearbox damage/overhaul

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/FerrariF355Spider/DamagedGearShaft.jpg

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/complete-pinion-for-6th-gear-not-as-spare-part-f355-5-2.564215/

I have Redline friction modifier added to the Redline gear oil (in recommended quantities after a gearbox overhaul).

As you have recommended, I will do more tests on 4th and 6th, then take my car in for adjustment.

Thanks!

6. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think shaft to coupler is out of adjustment again. Maybe not locked down on shaft? I recall adjusting mine a few years ago after a shaft seal replacement- mainly to make sure it was “dialed in” and I also replaced my gate spacer and bushing which was effecting second gear as gate was wonky. K.I.S.S method: I prefer a scalpel to a sledgehammer and like to look at the small simple stuff before blaming or digging into major components again. 9 times out of 10 it works to solve problem and not pulling apart again. I hope it is simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, Rob, just getting used to the terminology. I guess you mean parts 37, 36, 38?

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/outside-gearbox-controls.html

I'm sure the nuts are tight (I have faith in my technician), so perhaps it's just out of adjustment. Perhaps if the car is jacked up in the air, the body flexes enough to put the adjustment out when the car is put back on its wheels?

8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    Ian I found after major service of mine on installation of the gear selector rod I have my son sit in the car whilst on the hoist. I adjust the the shaft this way while he selects gears. I have found this to be the best way. 2 man job so to speak and never had an issue. I hope this is all it is for you mate. If it doesn't fix the issue it's a synchro hub assembly as previously mentioned.

Qavion and carnutdallas like this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's basically how I did it on my car with the tech, Paul.

Just wondering how sensitive the adjustments are. e.g. one turn = x millimetres (fore-aft) at the gate. Will increasing the length of the rod be more likely to fix my problem or decreasing the length? Will the length adjustment throw out the rotary adjustment?

10. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    You would need to shorten the length to get it to engage more mate.

Qavion likes this.
  11. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    49 and 42 are the adjustable portion as they have three slotted holes that allow for shifter external shaft adjustment to internal shaft actuation. Technically, they are never really messed with but sometimes “move” especially with the work you have had done. Just a theory, having been there before.

Like other said. Two sets of hands with one set in car on lift sometimes help.

The gate bushing (18) is the one that made a huge difference in my cars. Just common with age to disintegrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qavion likes this.
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My guess is they reused them and they were rounded a little. As Mitchel has said. If it keeps getting worse that is what I would think it is.

good news is it’s a 355, tranny is not really that hard to get out.

Qavion likes this.
  13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Unfortunately, this problem is getting worse. My tech adjusted the shifter linkages until they were perfect. i.e. no problem selecting any gear. Unfortunately, on my way home, the gear lever kept jumping out of second. On one occasion, I tried to stop it jumping out and there was a horrendous sound of gears clashing. I immediately released the gear knob and let it jump into neutral. I avoided 2nd for the rest of the trip home.

It doesn't appear to be an external linkage problem. Looks like I'll have to save my pennies for a gearbox overhaul.

14. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Don't you have just a few hundred miles on this gearbox after a rebuild? Sure seems like it wasn't rebuilt correctly since you've had shifting problems all along. Isn't the mechanic going to stand behind his work?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The km's are low, but the time is now long (4 ~5 years). Anything could have broken in the meantime. Half the gearbox was changed. Probably the other half needs replacing :D

Here are the parts on the bench...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145686727/

Thanks to @MAD828 for the photo

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That's bad news Ian. Sorry man.

Qavion likes this.
  17. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    You haven’t had much luck Ian. Feel for you.

The car must have had a hard life previously as it’s not like you drive it much. Hopefully it will be sorted well and good soon and you get to use it.

Qavion likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Update: There doesn't seem to be any new sliders (synchro sleeves) left on the planet. i.e. part number 156931. All the other parts are available for 2nd gear. The factory doesn't have them, and I've tried Superformance, Eurospares, FerrParts, Maranello Classics, Scuderia Car Parts... and Ricambi shows unavailable. Hill Engineering doesn't make them (yet).

Anyone heard of atd.parts in Germany?

They are also found on 456's and 550's, so this could be an issue for a few folks in the future.

19. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Would be possible to have a local machine shop make it —- I can’t seeing it take more then a hour with set up and the cost of material

Might be a little more then just getting from a supplier but gets back on the seat faster

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Hill Engineering make sleeves for earlier cars and charge U$900 for them. I'm guessing they are difficult to make. Eurospares suggested buying a second hand one and using that as a template.

Having said that, it looks like Scuderia Car Parts have just found me a new synchro sleeve (from another company). Yay... but now Eurospares have said they can't supply another part I ordered. One step forward, two steps back....

21. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Wow this is a real rock and hard place for you
    I would definitely try to make a connection with a machine shop somewhere even a good “ hobbyist” that would take on these type of jobs just for times like this

There’s a lot of guys out there who have the equipment and love doing odd jobs the problem is finding them —— do like everyone else does go to u-tube and find a machinist lol

Either way good luck

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    No way anyone could make that from scratch in 1hr. It'd take an hour just to work out what tools you need. Very few companies would have the tooling required to make a synchro ring in house.

23. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Qavion likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's a comparison between the Ferrari sleeve and the Quaife sleeve.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Ferrari one seems to be a little more complex.

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell