F8 - F8 issue already!?! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 F8 issue already!?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by VHlambo580, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lexan is carbonate not plexiglass which is acrylic. They have different molecular compositions, chemical properties and methods of manufacturing. They also react differently to chemical applications. Polycarbonate has 250x the impact resistance of glass and is 30x stronger than acrylic.

ryalex and tomc like this.
  2. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Is there anything that can be applied or put on it (PPF) to protect it or prevent it?

3. Karelg

Karelg Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Karel G
    I noticed this on a brand new car and it got worse with the car being driven so I'm guessing it's the heat causing this getting worse. This was the reason I cancelled my order of the F8.

tekaefixe likes this.
  4. ecdc

ecdc Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    That just looks like the someone had a circular polarizer on their camera when they took the picture. Plexi often shows rainbows when polarized. It's by no means indicative of what you'd see looking at the car with your eyes and it doesn't look like heat damage to me.

johnr265, 350MH83 and jm2 like this.
  5. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So did the OP get a new rear glass?

6. Karelg

Karelg Rookie

Nov 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Karel G
    Sorry, but NO! It's clearly visible with your eyes only and doesn't look good.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Rats, now I must cancel my order.

8. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Did you all not read my multiple posts on the F8?

How about the posts about never buying the first model year run on a car?

To the OP, dealer will replace, but it'll only be a matter of time before it happens again. Here's how you know when the problem is fixed: when Ferrari issues a change in the part number. If you receive the new part and it has the same part number as the panel that came with your car, then it's the identical product and will likely happen again over time.

When you receive a panel that has a different part number than the panel that was originally installed on your car, that's when you know there has been a change, likely to address issues like these.

In the USA, by law, any change to a part requires a change in part number. Even if you change manufacturers/OEM for the identical part, a change in part number is required. This is for tracing and all auto manufacturers adhere to this.

Yes, there are always a few bad apples in manufacturing, but this seems to be a material issue.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Another interesting question - how the quality control could be so bad that customers face such situations... it's like the bubbling paint problems on the F12, why nobody had a thought about it to find a solution is really desperating given the price of these cars.
    To me that's arrogance pushed to an impressive level.

Gh21631 and Ash Patel like this.
  10. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Hi all - I am the one who started the post. Took it to the dealer and without hesitation Ferrari agreed to replace. It will come in over the next 4/6 weeks. I will let you know how it goes. Btw, absolutely love the car. Those that cancelled your order over this, get it back! It is the best driving car - so much fun.

Thanks,

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAFE4NOW, stavura, buddyg and 5 others like this.
  11. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    It’s gotta be ....... Covid 19. Even Ferraris are getting infected. DAMN YOU COVID!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. richard.watkins@comcast.n

Jun 4, 2014
    Palm Springs CA
    Full Name:
    Rick Watkins
    Polycarbonate is a great choice for a molded visible covering. It is UV insensitive, very good heat and impact resistance. However, being a plastic, there are do and don't cleaners for this material. I have an F8 on order and had not bothered to look for bad chemical actors, yet. After seeing this, I thought this quick read website would be helpful.

https://www.truck-lite.com/content/education/cleaning

I am happy your dealer will resolve this issue for you quickly.

Rick

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I see that you don’t know much about cars then...
    Have fun!

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    not the nicest post

FDP, 350MH83, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  15. nonbita

nonbita Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Non
    FYI: This is the Rainbow Effect. Light reflex the coating layer of the lexan (polycarbonate) cause this effect. Nothing with the heat. You can see it by your eyes in some light condition but easily caught on camera. Quite common for windshield or headlights from polycarbonate or some plastic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88 likes this.
  16. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I just like to drive them my friend. You seem like a very kind and friendly person so thought I would leave you with my favorite quote “don’t worry, be happy”. Hope you are staying safe.

up4speed, FDP, rob lay and 5 others like this.
  17. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    No worries Jo Sta7 - How serious can you take a post from someone who has a picture of a jackass as his profile :).

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a pair of Oakley sunglasses that display the Rainbow Effect from some surfaces.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    On the topic of the F8. Post up your impressions as you can. I'm quite keen to drive one soon.

20. nonbita

nonbita Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Non
    Polarized sunglasses will cut down the glare effect (reflection from the dashboard on windscreen) but brings out the rainbow effect.;)

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lots of fuss about nothing. The Lexan will be fine. Follow simple cleaning procedures and I am confident there will not be any issues. To those who own and have driven their F8 and who own or have driven a Bentley, please comment on their similarities.

ScottS likes this.
  22. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Same group that likes to fixate on the wheel gaps, side marker lights..etc

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t worry about those but the key hole does bother me I wish it wasn’t there. It’s not that big a deal though it’s still a Ferrari in the garage.

Dicecal likes this.
  24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    LOL, yes I agree with you there. If I had to nitpick one thing, that would be it!

OSUferrari and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Couldn’t have said it better myself. I own an F8 - how blessed/lucky am I!! I freaking love the car!!

I will send you a long write up on my impressions. Took it on a mini rally with a bunch of other Ferraris, Lambos, Rolls, etc - it was a blast and have a great feel for the car.