512 TR (KE Jetronic-no cat) Wiring Diagram Query | FerrariChat

512 TR (KE Jetronic-no cat) Wiring Diagram Query

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Qavion, May 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Hi folks, I've been trying to create some more legible wiring diagrams for the earlier Testarossas, which will be based on some not-so-legible diagrams I found online, but I keep coming across some irregularities in the diagrams. There may be errors in the Ferrari labelling (not uncommon) or there may be no errors at all, but simply a lack of knowledge on my part.

e.g. Relay "R", which is listed as the RH Fuel Pump relay, is hooked up to a pump marked "160" on the original diagrams. This decodes as "Electric Fuel pump cyl 7~12". Are cylinders 7~12 on the right hand side of the TR engine (going against the Ferrari "norm")? Or is the pump simply located on the opposite side of the car in relation to cylinders 7~12.

Here's one of the diagrams I've been working on...

512TR_Injection_System_Fig3

Thanks!
    Ian

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Yes, the "RH" in the relay R description is related to where the 7-12 fuel pump is mounted in the chassis, not to where the cylinders are located that the 7-12 fuel pump serves.

This will get you a pdf copy of the 509/88 wiring diagram for the late US TR with the odometer in the speedometer F113A040 engine (KE-Jet with Lambda):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gne5xw608ba818b/509_88 US TR Wiring Diagram Book.PDF?dl=0

And this will get you a pdf copy of the 459/86 wiring diagram for the mid-life euro version TR with the F113B000 engine (KE-Jet without Lambda):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox8kxpyzlsid9jn/Wiring Diagrams TR 459_86 from Ben.pdf?dl=0

PS It's a little confusing to say a 512 TR has KE-Jet injection. Better IMO to say TR (or testarossa) use K-Jet or KE-Jet, and 512TR uses Motronic.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Excellent, thanks Steve!

It looks like I have something similar to the second pdf file. I just thought that these diagrams were hard to use. Some of the scans were made at different magnifications, so you can't get the 2 page schematic wires to line up.

Thanks... Just starting to learn about these cars. I've renamed them and will upload them in the near future.

It looks like the US cars are not too different from the Euro cars, so the diagrams should be relatively easy to modify.

Cheers!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    NO
    right hand side ( so in driving direction right side ) is cyl. 1-6

when I remember right ( hanging still in thailand ) the fuel pump for the right side ( cyl. 1-6 ) takes fuel out of the left fuel tank. but both fuel pumps sit in the middle between the 2 fuel tanks

the diagram is a little confusing I must say. part no 160 is the fuel pump for cyl. 7-12 and 158 for cyl. 1-6 and the relais R is for right hand fuel pump. strange, because the fuel pumps are not left and right mounted, they are front and rear between the 2 fuel tanks.

Qavion likes this.
  6. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Ian — your intial efforts are beautiful and hugely appreicated. I had been frustrated for years because none of the available diagrams, even the ones on CD, for the 512TR is remotely complete because they are all very badly scanned. I finally found a complete orginal paper copy of the 512TR documents at great expense, so at least I now have accurate indormation. But even so having them drawn in color would be a huge improvement. Let me know if I can help.

Qavion likes this.
  7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I've been producing coloured diagrams for Ferraris for various cars for a few years now and they seem to have helped owners from time to time. Some have been harder to produce than others. e.g. Ferraris like the 456 have no traditional wiring diagrams (at least not on CD), but Guido (relay panel manufacturer) produced a relay panel circuit diagram and I was able to incorporate that into some original diagrams based on plug pinout diagrams. Some diagrams will never be quite complete without pulling cars to pieces, ... e.g. mousetrack seatbelt diagrams, but from time to time, key elements are revealed by owners.

Here's what I have so far:

Testarossa_Airconditioning_Fig9

Testarossa_Injection_System_Fig3

Testarossa_Instruments

Testarossa_Mirrors_Wipers_Washers_Horns_Glovebox

TestarossaBatteryAlternator&StarterFig1

A few original Ferrari diagrams show two different wire colour codes on one wire, so that needs to be resolved at some point. When I get my hands on a Workshop Manual CD, I'll add mini graphics for the components for easier identification. Being in gif format, my diagrams can be modified with any free graphics program (e.g. Windows Paint). These diagrams are great for iPads as you can zoom and pan with ease.

TestaDDS and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    TestaDDS likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Qavion and TestaDDS like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ooops... well-spotted. Thanks, Steve.

All links above now corrected (refresh browser as applicable).

I see battery terminals D & E are internally connected on the Testarossa, unlike the 550 where these feed specific fuses.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you sure? I haven't looked at the TR schematics in detail for this point, but I do recall that when people have reported trouble with either connector d or e on their TR, about 1/2 the stuff doesn't work.

EZORED likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Ooops... another mistake. Thanks. I see the two lines from D and E do cross over in the diagrams, but they are not connected... Some of the original diagrams are harder to read than others :rolleyes:

I've corrected the diagrams and am uploading them now....

On this topic, Guido, the gentleman who rewires the boards does join up the two battery terminals internally on his boards (or at least some of them), so you may find that some cars differ from others. I don't know if this is a good or bad thing.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    TestaDDS likes this.
  14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's a bad safety thing. If they are electrically connected and the d or e connector or wire path fails = all of the current will pass thru the other connector and its single wire (rather than the total current being about equally shared between the two). Most likely, if this happened, where they are connected together would just eventually burn up as the connection between them probably wouldn't big enough to carry that much current.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That was my first thought. On cars like the 456M, it may not be as bad, as there are individual master fuses for the two battery connections. If the load on one branch gets too much, the fuse will (hopefully) blow.

Having isolated circuits would also be good for faultfinding. As you say, if half the car is working...

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes, at least on a 512 tr, D or E is bad you get 1/2 the panel. in my case D came loose and lost almost all interior electrical and headlights. Motor ran good!

I had to get a new panel, could not fix.

Qavion likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    W O W ! ! !
    great work :) :) :)
    thank you very much

I´m missing fig 5 from the european version :(

Qavion likes this.
  18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Would you need Fig. 5, Romano? It's an external lighting diagram for the UK (Great Britain)

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t need Ian, only have seen it is missing

Qavion likes this.
  20. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not to offend UK citizens... I threw this together quickly...

Testarossa Lighting Wiring Diagram Fig5 (UK only

I'm not sure what the UK car does differently, but it has some extra "dim/dip" relays (and a modified relay "C" in the footwell).

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Update:

Folks, I've just started looking at the real 512TR (Bosch 2.7) wiring diagrams (pdf format) and I see that some of them have missing sections due to either folds in the original paper diagrams or just poor scanning techniques.

e.g. 512TR Fig3 Bosch 2.7 Ignition/Starter Connections

The wiring in area between the relay panel and the connectors going to the Motronics ECUs and engine components is unknown.

I don't want to improvise too much when hooking up the wires. Would anyone have the missing pieces in this particular diagram? Or if someone has a pinout for the 2.7 Motronics ECUs, perhaps I can figure out the wiring from those.

Here is a 512TR instrument diagram which is mostly complete:

512 TR Fig6 (Instruments)

(just unsure of the wiring on relay panel plug "H").

Also, the workshop manual shows a different wiring relay panel to the panel shown in parts manuals. Would anyone have a photo of the real 512TR (2.7) relay panel? Google throws up dozens of completely different images.

Thanks!

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    And here's a mostly complete airconditioning diagram for the 512TR...

512TR Fig8 (Airconditioning)

I've noted discrepancies between the wiring diagrams relating to airconditioning in different parts of the workshop manual

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    And here's a diagram for the 512TR (Bosch Motronic 2.7) right bank injection/ignition system (Bosch 2.7)

512 TR Ignition/InjectionMotronic 2.7 (cyl. 1~6)

Unkowns:
    Ferrari have a habit of not numbering their spark plug and injector component numbers in sequence on the diagrams, so you don't know which is spark plug 1, 2, 3, etc. I guessed the spark plug wiring (based on a Ferrari 550 which has a "wasted spark" system coupling outboard and inboard pairs of spark plugs)

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell