First Ferrari Thoughts | FerrariChat

First Ferrari Thoughts

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Frank Scholl, May 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank Scholl

Frank Scholl Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 1, 2020
    Davie, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    GotmyLussoV12
    I am looking for thoughts on my first Ferrari. I currently have and daily drive a 997.2 Turbo S and split that with lifted Diesel F250. While I love the quickness and slot car feel of the Turbo S, there is a wind noise from passenger front window that is severely intrusive above 65mph. I live in South Florida and we have significant afternoon rain almost everyday in the summertime so the four wheel drive helps. My wife hates the Turbo S doesn’t drive it and recently came out of an AMG GL63 to an Expedition Max which she loves. Date night car is an AMG GTR and she loves driving/riding in that as well. I am looking for another DD that will keep the commute interesting, fun, slightly practical and comfortable and can accommodate the 6 and 3.5 year olds that love riding in the purple Porsche (amethyst) and the Big White truck. Considering keeping the GTR and trading the Turbo S for an FF or Lusso V12 (No interest in another twin turbo V8). My only drive of the FF was a 2016 and was brief and I didn’t put it in Sport mode. I was with the salesperson at Ferrari FL who was super nice, but it left me a bit underwhelmed but not sure if it was the experience or that I was expecting more of a kick in the seat of the pants from the V12 (realizing it’s a 4000# car). I welcome your thoughts and apologize for rambling. Thanks so much!

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Welcome.

Look into the Lusso V12. It is a huge leap in terms of comfort and refinement over the FF. I like many things about the FF, but I think it is too hard and firm to be a proper GT. The RWS also makes it feel a lot more nible, but it is softer than the FF. But for what the car tries to be, this is a plus. It is a GT, not a mid engined 488. That being said, it is still a lot of fun to drive and very engaging. Will it have the same initial kick in the rear of a TTS? No, but few cars will. That kick is simply a result of 4wd turbo power in a car with the engine over the rear wheels. While that initial off-the-line kick is fun, for all intended purposes I find the TTS bland and boring once you get going. It is nothing like a V12 GT and even less like a mid engined Ferrari. So yes, the TTS has a great 0-60 time due to the fact that it hooks hard in the first 60 feet, but after that, it is not much different from a Lusso. The Lusso is heavier, but it also has 690 horses to play with. While I haven't tried, I suspect a Lusso and TTS running from 40 to 140 mph would be pretty even. To me, the TTS feels very GT, and not like a sports car - and the turbolag really kills the response. The V12 Lusso has a tremendous sense of occassion, and I think it performs better as both a GT and sports car than the TTS.
    The rear seats in the Lusso is a huge step up from the FF. One thing which has to be said about the rear seat area in an FF - it is deafening. The Lusso fairs much better in this area. Sped 12 hours in an FF and you're trashed. Spend 12 hours in a Lusso and you're not quite as trashed. Part of what makes the Lusso so good is how it settles down and disappears around you once you need it to. It changes from a fun exotic to a GT with a comfort level which rivals the top marks luxury marks, such as Merc S, Bentley, Panamera etc. It is a great car that has you grinning from ear to ear every day, and as an added bonus you can enjoy it with your adult friends too. If you go this route, make sure you get the pano roof. It really changes the way the interior feels, especially in the back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScottS and Georgemaser like this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Being the strongest advocate of my merc s63 coupe and having a FF I agree with most you said except the comfort part. The merc is jut vastly superior imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I went to an FF as my daily driver and love it. As a daily driver I think it’s more “fun” then the 911. Might not be as fast off the line, but there is something to be said for doing 65 on the highway, down shifting and hearing/feeling that v12 take you to speeds I would prefer not to admit to in writing. I will also say it was the world’s fastest four seater with a 208mph top speed.

hagen111 likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Superior over the FF yes, very much so. But the Lusso? No. That has the Merc licked in the comfort department as well as the excitement department. From a comfort standpoint, the Lusso and FF is night and day.

6. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    i havent driven any porsche except for a base Macan. my Lusso V12 is my first ferrari and i have no regrets. go for the V12.

7. Frank Scholl

Frank Scholl Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 1, 2020
    Davie, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    GotmyLussoV12
    Thank you to all of you for responding. I appreciate you taking the time. I am looking forward to this journey. We have had the MB brand in our family continuously for over 40 years (learned to drive in one, and survived unscathed in two major crashes) and Porsche for the last 12. And while the S model coupes are great vehicles I am looking toward Ferrari as my next automotive “passion”.

From an FF and Lusso V12 standpoint any options you feel you wish you had or couldn’t live without? I realize options and colors may be limited in the pre owned market.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Would NEVER get one without pano roof. Also, full electric seats.
    Upgraded audio. Base system is terrible.
    The lifter is debatable, but I like it. It lifts on all four wheels and is great if you get in a bind.
    Passenger display. Gimmick? Yup. But the car is about fun and theatre, it really makes a difference. Also, the passenger can control the satnav which is nice.

These are for a Lusso. For an FF, skip the passenger display.

ScottS likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Why the pano roof though? Resale? Because unless you are a rear passenger I didn’t see much benefits of it. It does look great though!
    Lift not that useful unless u have novitec springs like me: car sits low and will scrape but no one could see it anywayS
    To OP if this is your first Ferrari I must warn u that the FF only became a ferrari to me until after I made some mods like exhaust etc. The car sounds amazing outside but inside, unless it’s what you want, Ferrari went for quiet by their standards so, in my experience, had to change exhaust etc to enjoy the sound more ...either that or open the window;)

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While you can't really see out of the glass roof in the front, it still adds a lot of light and airyness in the cabin. It's not a resale thing for me. It really affects the interior "ambience" in a positive way I think. Life is too short to worry about what the next guy likes...
    Regarding the lifter. This might be the case where you live, but I find it useful. The issue is that with the long wheelbase, you run the risk of scraping the belly of the car. If you park in multi story carparks with steep ramps, if there are speed bumps, or if you take the car on ferries or trains, it becomes a really great feature. If you sometimes go down a potted dirt or gravel road, it helps too. I see no downside to having it.

ScottS and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Makes sense! I do use my lifter but my car is super low;)

12. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    I don’t have the litter on my ff and have not had an issue. I highly recommend the pano roof, makes the car feel much more open. If you are taller you can easily see out of it if you glance up.

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    My brother from a different mother ...

My exact thoughts. Have it and love it. Agree on sound lifter and the AFS that come with it.

Had an FF also loved it and miss it. Tried to get a16 couldn’t so I got a Lusso. Don’t imagine anything will make me change. As has been said, not a488 but for DD and with family, ticks all the boxes.
    I love the pano kids love it in the back. Not hot in Central Florida with it.

good luck. Good buys out there.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. Frank Scholl

Frank Scholl Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 1, 2020
    Davie, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    GotmyLussoV12
    Thanks to all of you for your input and to ScottS for chatting with me. Ended up jumping in with both feet and picked up a 2017 V12 Lusso. Has Pano roof, Lifter, upgraded sound system, passenger display, only thing I wanted but didn’t get was LED steering wheel. Super happy with the process and need to give a shout out to Ken from Atlantis Motorsports in Boca. Great experience all the way around. Still waiting for manuals to come from Cali. Pics attached. Any tips for leather care would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your input.[​IMG] Image Unavailable, Please Login 20200606/1194eda6aef2bd49d005076f77661991.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Avia11 likes this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Get an aftermarket exhaust if ud like other than that congrats with your choice!

16. Frank Scholl

Frank Scholl Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 1, 2020
    Davie, Florida USA
    Full Name:
    GotmyLussoV12
    It is a bit quiet inside even in sport mode, but sounds great outside. What exhaust would you recommend and it there a way to have it valved to get the stock sound when I need it?

17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Congrats Frank. Love it and you will too.

Nothing better after a long day than to take the long way home.....

Drive it well.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes like the FF the cabin is too insulated.
    At a minimum get something to open
    The valves. For exhaust anything from Capristo to novitec or ipe will do. Capristo will run about 5/7k , novi 20k, ipe 8-10k

19. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Congrats! There was a carbon wheel + LEDS on the marketplace and I saw 2 on ebay. You need a dealer to install but might be worth it for you.

20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Congrats on a beautiful color combo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21. Natkingcolebasket69

I bought mine for my FF dealer wants 2-3k to flash but apparently my indi says he can do it so we shall see!