308 GTB interior mirror | FerrariChat

308 GTB interior mirror

Discussion in '308/328' started by jim rosenthal, May 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the glass and mirror elements in a 308 GTB interior rear view mirror. The one in my car is cloudy (the glass is) but the exterior housing is intact and in good shape. A replacement is expensive and the exterior parts are fine- just the glass is cloudy, especially noticeable at night. Any thoughts or advice much appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login The rearview mirror inside the car has a special thickness that’s not very common as they are very thin, however my local glass shop has the mirror thin enough that’s very close to the original glass. I had them cut me a couple pieces and one I installed I my car and it fits very good. So I have one left. The two glass on the bottom are the new ones.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have a complete spare mirror, it fell off and I really like it being gone...LOL!

How much is an OEM unit worth??

4. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    I don't know now; when I checked it a while back I think it was several hundred dollars, and I'm not even sure it was available. But the rest of the unit is fine, it's just the glass needs replaced.

5. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    @miketuason, if I can't get it made up locally, which I hope I can, can you post the name and contact information for the glass works that made those up for you? Thank you.

miketuason likes this.
  6. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    A new one from Superformance in UK is about 1400 pounds sterling. That would be about $1600/USD. New glass in the one I have seems a better deal. @BigTex, if you are interested in parting with the spare one you have, could you PM me? Thank you.

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ok no problem or I can have it made for you also.

8. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have a few of these mirrors around somewhere.

10. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Porsche 914’s of the same era use the same mirror. And no Ferrari premium.

mwr4440 likes this.
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Vitaloni is the manufacturer? Might check Fiat suppliers too like Vicks Automotive and Autoricambi

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mwr4440 likes this.
  12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I've seen the EXACT SAME mirror even to the raised-letter labling, new or NOS, in the $140(-) range.

I should buy one next time.

13. jim rosenthal

jim rosenthal Karting

Sep 10, 2006
    We took the mirror apart and cleaned it. New glass fitted, mirror itself seems okay. Seems to be quite a lot better; it will be back on the road again in a week or so when the master cylinder gets back from White Post (it was leaking and needed to be sleeved and rebored and a new piston fitted), I think the mirror will work fine, now. Thanks to all for the help.

JuLiTrO and miketuason like this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Darn, I could have used $1600 ...LOL!

It's all in IF the day night switch still functions, and mine does. I may reinstall it but I darn sure need to find it and bubble wrap it!
    I'm glad you got yours sorted....

I am so tall that taking mine out REALLY increases the view to the front!

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    My day/night thing didn't work when I bought the car - turned out the exterior glass was gone! It's obviously very thin glass, which I couldn't find, so I replaced it with Perspex/lexan or similar (can't remember) of the correct thickness, and trimmed it myself to fit. Works fine