New Ferrari - Temporary Tag Problem - unrecognized VIN | FerrariChat

New Ferrari - Temporary Tag Problem - unrecognized VIN

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ke0kie, May 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    #1 ke0kie, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Hi Folks,

Please help if you can :)

Got a weird problem, in a weird time (during the COVID period).

Texas has closed all DMV/tax offices due to COVID, allowing only smaller subset of services via mail or phone or internet.

I need to register my out-of-state purchased Ferrari to get my Texas title and plates. It's going to be several weeks at least before I get the title, so in order to use the car (like to get a safety inspection which I need to register the car), I need a temporary plate on the car.

A temporary plate is not available via phone or internet, those are only issued in person at the vehicle tax office, per my local tax office customer service person (Dallas County Tax Office 214-653-7811).

Tax office customer service did say I have an option, and that is to purchase a "Vehicle Transit Permit" via their website, which are typically only good for 5 days. However during the COVID period, Texas is allowing these to be used beyond 5 days like the 30-day temporary tag, which are physically not possible to acquire due to office closure.

So great, right?

I go to the site to get the Vehicle Transit Permit: https://permit.txdmv.gov/Permit/VTPermit/agree

Enter VIN number, which is required.

Site returns "Is the VIN correct? Please try again." And the process fails, cannot proceed.

This HAS TO BE because the car is a Ferrari, and their database knows nothing about that VIN number or VIN style, something like that. That is my guess.

So...I'm on hold again (it'll be another 30 minutes or so+) for tax office customer service, to see what they recommend I do, if there is even an option at this point.

>> Has anyone else had a problem like this?

>> Does anyone know someone in the Dallas area, like a car dealer, that I could somehow get a temporary tag by proxy through that person?

I'm a totally legit person here trying to do the normal / right thing registering a used car, and really confused
    what to do!

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Just print the page saying they don't recognize the VIN. Then drive and if you get pulled over, hope for a sympathetic cop.

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I must tell you that it's exceptionally rare when the US DOT does not recognize a legitimate VIN. I can't speak to the Texas DMV. Did you get the VIN directly off the door jamb of the car, or are you using dealer paperwork?

4. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Was thinking the same at minimum, thx for the input.

5. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Thx for response, VIN is from title / match door plate, no VIN issue on the car. So DMV / permit system seem just unable to process the VIN.

6. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Which Ferrari is it? I have had the same issue before with a grey market 360.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Got similar issue with a truck we bought out of LA. I can type in my '11 Cali, which we have had for 4 years, and DMV knows about it.
    Type in the VIN for the truck, which is a '20, and no dice.

I've noticed quite a lot of people with long-time expired temp tags. Ours is 2 months out of date, and we have not been stopped.
    So, my guess, is that a ton of us are in the same boat.

Like others have suggested, print the non-successful attempt, and try not to give the popo a reason to stop you. I have noticed that
    the cops seem to be out more in the last week or so trying to curb the excessive speeding that seems to have accompanied the
    COVID and post-COVID lockdown...T

8. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
  9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    ke0kie likes this.
  10. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    And congratulations! Beautiful car! Just the perfect amount of carbon fiber!

11. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Thanks!! it's choice, enthusiast owned and loved / maintained / records galore, the color combo i've been searching for at least 3 years, and LOTS of upgrades yes exactly on the carbon + real 18" MAG Challenge wheels. I'm over the moon to say the least, just trying to sort through the transactional nightmare with the plates!

12. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    #12 pilotoCS, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    One last thing: When you bought the car, did the seller provide a CarFax report? If not, try and run your VIN on www.carfax.com and see what happens. Yeah, it will cost you a few bucks.

Or, you could ask the police to run the VIN. That way they know you're being proactive with the issue.

EastMemphis likes this.
  13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Right now all expirations tags etc enforcement is on hold until 60 days after the COVID-19 emergency is ended by the Gov. So I'd get an insurance card and leave the out-of-state tags on it.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I can confirm this in the Houston area, heard directly from both the Tax Office and the Sheriff. BTW, our tax office re-opened 2 days ago....

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well Step 1 to buying Texas plates is to surrender the Out of State title and pay taxes, so you are missing that step.

I think the TxDot computer you are trying to interface with means "number not recognized as a Texas titled vehicle", so it can't help you.
    Wait on your title, and then pay your license taxes to get the plate, and they will take your title and mail you a Texas version.

HTH
    The State runs DMV and titles, but it defers to the County Tax collection on plates.

16. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    good advice! have carfax and ya the VIN works via carfax.

I called tax office back for advice, they said the temporary permit is actually not going to work for my VIN, like the VIN just does not register in their system.

What I told her was I'm just going to make a rectangular temporary faux-plate that says something like "due to COVID-19 I can't get temporary plate", and if I get pulled over, have the full compliment of documents to support that I'm the owner. She did say all Texas police have been notified that expired temporary plates, missing temporary plates are going to be common, and that drivers simply cannot get them right now, and as long as drivers can prove ownership and have insurance, and indicate bill of sale/time frame to explain the issue, shouldn't have any issue. I think police are going to be very accommodating ultimately about this issue, and now I'm not that super worried about it.

Such a weird time to be trying to register and drive a used car!

pilotoCS likes this.
  17. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Thanks for this info, and tax office customer service team essentially said the same thing. I think I'll be ok in the no-tag state for the next couple of months, so weird !

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Okay, great. Enjoy the car. Forza Ferrari.

19. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Don't print up your own version of a temp plate or some message on it. It's better to simply not have a plate than something that looks fraudulent which will cause you to get pulled over and will draw unwanted attention. Just keep a copy of proof of sale and active insurance in your name on it and you'll be fine. I drove an F-Type R for 3 years in dallas without a plate at all over my fight against the idiotic red light camera scam and didnt have problems.

MaurizioAM likes this.
  20. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    All you need is proof on insurance and title info showing you are/going to be legit owner and like some others have said if you get pulled over simply tell them you are heading to mechanic shop to get everything sorted for registration. I just had to do the same thing.

21. Qdog458

Qdog458 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I would not worry about it. Just keep your purchase contract and insurance card in the glove box in case they pull you over and explain the situation or say temp tag ripped off the car or got wet

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, this one doesn't work anymore.....they give you a clear plastic bag and specific instructions to mount the tag within the bag to the car.....

Qdog458 likes this.
  23. DallasE46

DallasE46 Rookie

Jun 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    DallasE46
    I'm going through the same thing and I was hoping you could tell me how you finally got your vehicle inspected and the state of TX to recognize your VIN.
    I just bought a 2000 360 from out of state with a good carfax history and it had been titled in 3 other states before(FL, CT, and TN). I went to 3 different inspection stations and the VIN would not work in their computers.

ke0kie likes this.
  24. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Take it to Boardwalk Ferrari to get your inspection, that is what I ended up doing and got it done. FYI you might have to do ODB connector update (around $100) depending on whether your car needs it or not, I believe has to do with the inspection computer not supporting the original. Minor thing, just FYI.