Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling - Road America IndyCar | FerrariChat

Wisconsin Supreme Court ruling - Road America IndyCar

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by pilotoCS, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    It's 'may' as in 'could possibly' open the door to allowing spectators. In the oh so scary 'wild west' scenario predicted by WI Governor, local authorities and Road America appropriately get to decide. Campers are a healthy part of the attendance(I'm one) with 1600+ sites, and as you'd expect, friends and family from different households meet at RA. That means the War Dept. is a part of the decision of who will attend. With paying customers most important to the track, I'm thinking the liklihood today is about 50/50. With a golf cart rental/campsite/ticket, I'm in for around $600 already. I'd like to be there, but......

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Damn the coodies!!!! Indycar must race ahead!!! :p

lorenzobandini likes this.
  3. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    Nembo1777 likes this.
  4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks like the late July IMSA race might also have spectators. RA is so big social distancing should not be an issue.

pilotoCS likes this.
  5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Right. They have no such thing as reserve seating. Although, they might have restrictions on the grandstand at turn 5. What I wouldn't like (or accept) are restrictions on paddock access. The open paddock is a unique and wonderful Road America feature and, for me, makes it worth the trip.

Jacob Potts likes this.
  6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yah but, what about the 1600 campsites and est. 5,000(?) campers?

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

They just have to limit the amount of campers at each site. Maybe open up a few more sites based on demand. If people don't get stupid and follow the guidelines it will be fine.

8. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    #9 stever, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    You've not been been a Road America camper in recent years.

To keep your same campsite, monies were demanded before 12-1-19 for all events. Ticket costs are cheaper before that date. Since you apparently have never camped at RA, you obviously don't know the community of enthusiasts who enjoy having the same neighbors every year. We're friends for a few days every year. Nearly all the campsites are taken before 12-1-19. There are no more to 'open up a few more'.

How do you limit the number of campers with the above facts? Who gets screwed?

Which guidelines? Established on which day?

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    where are you getting this info. I'm looking at the RA site and not seeing updates. I'm interested in what they are doing for mid july Hawk Vintage event.

10. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I think he's speculating based on Indycar news. RA is putting things together on a day by day basis. The Indycar doubleheader came together in 5 days after a meeting between RA & Penske.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Yes speculation based on the IMSA and Road America facebook posts. The first IMSA races in Florida will not have spectators as of now, but the RA event might be the first to allow humans.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well it's either that or 1, not allow camping or 2 do nothing. Things are different now so people need to adjust or big brother will just make them cancel the whole thing.

13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    There are many things that are different this year. So maybe the camping doesn't happen. That would be a shame for those who love that. However, the big thing is to run the races so they can be on TV. Everything else is somewhat incidental. Just ask Nascar.

When it comes to major sports the TV contract rules.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Absolutely love Elkhart, went twice 97 (Brian Redman vintage race weekend) and 2002 (IMSA or whatever it was called that week;-)) was Press officer for a French team with a 550 Maranello in GT2 (yes GT2 not GT1) and loved it, the Spa Francorchamps of America great course, great setting, beautiful nature, great people and lakes to swim in..can't wait to go back some year to see Indycars there. Just the mosquitoes though... big as can Am cars :-( LOL.

375+ likes this.
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I remember that 550. They had a spare car with a crushed nose also.

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yup that's it.

Just found the race broadcast, Bill Adam talks about the car a bit at 1.31.15

F1tommy likes this.
  17. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Said mosquitoes are more plentiful in July then in June. Another drawback regarding the recent date change.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  18. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    That's interesting.....while mosquitoes are certainly part of the WI summer experience, I have never, not once, been bothered by them at the track in nearly 50 years of visits. That's well over 100 days and many nights.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nembo1777 and pilotoCS like this.
  20. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I have some friends in the Midwest who are June Sprints regulars. We'll see how that goes . . . .

21. ALMS, LMP900, LMP675, GTS, GT.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #23 Nembo1777, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    When walking around the track for the very first time I recall two noises, the Howmet turbine car during Can Am sessions Wooosh and when rain started I put on my poncho and every mosquito in Wisconsin came to take refuge under it, buzzing like mad. Maybe you stay in pits and paddock away from trees but I went deep in the woods, even down along hurrydowns the bottom straight to Canada I do that when I really want to see a track I am excited about, walked the entire Nurbugring 22 Kms in 85, well much of that was through the bushes, zero footpath for major portions of it, took me...seven and a half hours:) Got lots of bites at Elkhart but can't wait to go back. Note that some people somehow do not attract mosquitoes as much.

Isobel likes this.
  23. #24 lorenzobandini, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Time for some Prevagen (sp?). :p (Or, seriously, load up on Co Q-10 if you're taking statins, they deplete it, which is a memory killer, 'know first hand with my father after his triple bi-pass)

There were no turbine powered Can Am cars, let alone a Howmet. The Howmet cars ran in the WSC in '68. They did their best at the '68 Watkins Glen 6 Hours; podiumed with a third third. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Time for some Prevagen (sp?). :p (Or, seriously, load up on Co Q-10 if you're taking statins, they deplete it, which is a memory killer, 'know first hand with my father after his triple bi-pass)

There were no turbine powered Can Am cars, let alone a Howmet. The Howmet cars ran in the WSC in '68. They did their best at the '68 Watkins Glen 6 Hours; podiumed with a third third. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login