Sainz 2021 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Sainz 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by vitajojo38, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To add to this, I would be highly surprised if a 3.5 liter V10/12 with a rev cap to 16.5K would a) doesn't produce 900+ bhp b) be as reliable as the engines we use today c) be much cheaper d) wouldn't be that far off the turbo V6 fuel wise in a like for like situation (full bore quali lap).

William likes to drone on about the current cars using only a third of the fuel compared to the V10, which is false (frequently pointed out to him but he keeps using his own imaginative stat). Cars these days use a third less per race, but they're a) significantly slower over the distance b) always managing fuel/tyres/engine. The V10 was always pushed in anger.

JaguarXJ6 and 375+ like this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That's my point.
    Also manufacturers also sell power units below costs and support small teams.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

That was sarcastic mentioning other old technologies, since you want F1 to go back in time.
    It would be funny to keep everything else on F1 cars, but bring back a 20-year old engine design. Very retro-mod !!!
    The flares are back in fashion ... Just kidding
    We cannot pick and chose which bits of progress we like; it comes as a package, and we have to adapt to it.

Who says that the hybrid technology would die if the manufacturers were to pull out?
    The technology would probably be transfered to independent engine builders, like Mecachrome, Cosworth, Ilmor, etc...
    Building these engines will become cheaper with time anyway, now that the initial R&D costs have been met.
    There is also the possibility of Liberty subsidising one engine builder to offer power units to the teams.
    But one thing is sure; there would be less money in F1 if the manufacturers go.

You cannot deny that the current cars use a lot less fuel than the old atmo ones.
    Their fuel cell size is mandated, and they don't refuel. Carrying less fuel make them easier to package, and safer to race
    As for being slower, I am not convinced that's true everywhere. I am sure you will do your best to prove me wrong.

You don't like today's F1, I can understand that, but all you repeated rants won't influence the rulemakers anyway.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    According to Mrs-the-Lad the scuderia now has “the most gorgeous drivers.”

:rolleyes::D:)

5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    **** sakes it's like talking against a wall.

Of course you can pick and choose what you want to bring back and what not.

Who said hybrid tech would die? Not me. But it would in F1 (save for a simple KERS unit). What I do know is the current hybrid systems are simply impossible to fund by independent engine manufacturers. THAT'S why they're not in it. To give you a picture, the cost of developing these engines is around a billion. With a B. And that doesn't guarantee success/reliability/power (Renault anyone? And until very recently, Honda). Cosworth, the leading ''indy'' engine manufacturer, had a profit of just 72.5 million in 2017. So no, they can't afford it. And no, Liberty won't give Cosworth a billion, freeze time for 5 years and hope they build some sort of competitive engine.

Honda has committed to just 1 year (end of 2021). Renault under ever more pressure to leave (again). Mercedes has nothing more to prove. What's the plan here? Entire grid powered by Ferrari? Sure, it's possible...if Ferrari can keep up with the demand, and about 3 seconds into the championship people will moan that Ferrari gives themselves the best engine (they would).

Will these engines become cheaper with time. Yeah. But not in time.

If F1 wants to survive they need to draft up some emergency plans.

As for the fuel...yes they use less fuel, about a third less (not 2 thirds as you claim), and that includes fuel/tyre/engine saving (significant amount), hybrid tech, advancements made in fuel/engine tech (direct injection, lab nerds experimenting with fuels, more advanced/precise computers and so on), chassis tech, aerodynamics...the list goes on. NA era engine freeze started 11 years ago. That's enormous. And again...those cars drove flat out all the way.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    When does the new seasons of BattleBots and Drone Racing begin?

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It is worth remembering that the fuel regulations for the last era of V6 turbo engines was limited to 195 litres / race.

We now have a current limit of 110kg and based on a density equivalent to modern fuels today it works out approx 160 litres / race.

So in 34 years F1 has managed to save 35 litres / race. Hardly ground breaking technology given the billions money pumped into the new breed. We also have to bear in mind some races are actually much shorter than they used to be so it kind of makes a mockery of fuel efficiency as a goal for Hybrid cars.

I could understand the drive for a revolutionary space age power unit with warp drive and a flux capacitor.......but lets set them a real challenge to build a power unit which has zero pollution, lasts for 20 years, made from recyclable materials and runs on water and sounds like a V12 on full song.

Bas likes this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, when Schumacher got into Ferrari, the Cosworth era was already dead and buried. They won the 1994 championship almost by fluke, but I´d say that the Cosworth era really finished in 1980.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hybrid technology doesn't need to die in F1 if the manufacturers leave.
    For example, that technology could be transfered, licensed to an independent engine builder, and most of the findings go to the public domain.
    Just like Renault licensed its engines to Mecachrome or BMW passed on its turbo design to Megatron in the past.
    An independent engine builder wouldn't start from a blank sheet of paper, but benefit from existing R&D.
    Therefore it wouldn't have to spend $1 billion, and its role would be purely to fabricate, with minimal development.
    Supplied to most of the field (less Ferrari), the hybrid units would become cheaper, thanks to the scale of fabrication .
    If it wants to stay the pinacle of motor racing, that's the road F1 should take, in my view.
    Giving up what is the most advanced technology would be a terrible blow to its prestige as the leading series.
    That's all I have to say.

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Carlos will be very popular in Italy.;)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F1 gave up certain techs before and survived, ABS, Automatic gearboxes, Traction Control, stabiliity control, active suspension and so on.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    this this this, absolutely this!

It is no mistake that F1 media started quoting F1 fuel in KG rather than liters...right at the start of the hybrid era. Why? Well very simple. Many people assume 1kg fuel = 1 liter...

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    he's very likeable in the netflix series also. Very down to earth, especially considering his dad is a rally giant.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, in the vain hope that it would keep the costs down. The teams went on to spend $ millions on aero instead. :rolleyes:

Big mistake, IMO, not to accept new technologies in F1 when they are available in street cars.

Big F1 has a long tradition doing that ...

15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I've never rated Sainz. I hope i'm wrong.

16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Vamos a ver...
    I think he is at least sufficient to back up Charles.
    It's mainly going to be about the car.

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hope you’re not wrong or more drama will ensue

18. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I want whats best for Ferrari. I still feel we should have gone for Ricci. Or Perez.

Carlos have yet to have any memorable drive. In fact, i seriously cannot remember any good drives from him. It's probably just bias, as how often we look in the midfield. Whatever happens, fingers cross.

Bas and DF1 like this.
  19. Javier Marqués

Dec 16, 2011
    Arenys de Mar
    Full Name:
    Javier Marques
    Well done, but Sainz is not a number 2 driver. He is not Barrichello nor Massa, he will go for it as much as Leclerc.

Sainz have improved its racecraft a lot, he has always been smooth, fast and clever but last season he show he can bite too. There were to overtakings, one in Interlagos and other in Yas Marina, that only the very best are able to complete. I guess the battle between the two Ferrari drivers will be fair and epic.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Thrilling for the spectators maybe, but probably not what Ferrari needs.
    A designated Number One going for the WDC title, and a good "tail gunner' finishing regularly in the points for the WCC, is the best recipe for success.
    That combination worked well for Mercedes, Red Bull, and ... Ferrari in the past.

21. Javier Marqués

Dec 16, 2011
    Arenys de Mar
    Full Name:
    Javier Marques
    I agree, only that Ferrari is not going for the WDC this year and I guess will not in 2021 yet.

22. Battleweapons

Battleweapons Rookie

Aug 16, 2017
    Jerez De La Frontera
    They are saving 44 millions a year and giving Sainz 6... smart move...

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Lets take it easy my friends. We are all passionate gentlemen here discussing what we all love. We can disgaree, but let us all maintain civility.

Bas likes this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No, he's a lot slower than Massa and not near as good as Rubens. Sainz never showed anything exceptional, he did ok against max, but Max was just a kid with almost no experience compared to him, than he got beaten by Nico and lando also that he was faster, even if he was a rookie.
    He will be a decent nº2 , but he's streets behind Charles in terms of talent. He's a lot like his father, but less talented. Sainz the rally driver was very competent, but not flashy or spectacular, i loved lancia and cheered for Didier Auriol, that was faster then him, but also made more mistakes. Didier lost a title to Sainz that he fully deserved (in that year he beat the record of most wins in a single year), but it happens..it was funny because the race of champions was starting in thos eyears, and it was done in Canárias, and Didier used to trash sainz. I love it.

Bas likes this.
  25. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Actually Sainz has won a lot of prize money for the teams he has represented, just outside the top 10 which makes him a good bet and teams rely on good WDC and WCC points to get their grubby hands on the loot. Ironically Vettel being No1 earner for teams.

Place your bets on what he can do at SF, or will it be what SF will let him do?

To dive into the new team with minimal attributes and believe you are going to be treated as equal No1 is a little naive, perhaps next year or the year after or do it in style and just follow Leclerc's gearbox throughout the race with one arm on the cockpit!.