F12 vs 812 - Differences in daily use? | FerrariChat

F12 vs 812 - Differences in daily use?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by AhsanU, May 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AhsanU

AhsanU Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    New York City
    Hello everyone! I currently am the owner of a Porsche 991 GT3. I purchased it a few years ago thinking that I'd be on the track often, but this wasn't the case. My father also recently passed away from Covid-19, and being in my GT3 just reminds me of the times I had with him in it; watching him struggle to get in and out because of his bigger belly, or just seeing him smirk whenever I'd give it some gas. It's difficult being in the GT3, so I've decided to let it go and hop into something else. It only makes sense - I daily drive it, hardly track it, and would love a better sounding car that's also more comfortable.

There is no other car that fits that bill other than the F12 and the 812.

Thus bringing me to the question - how different is the F12 vs the 812 in terms of daily use? Does your phone's bluetooth connect quicker on the 812 vs. the F12? How's the ride on crappy roads (I live around NYC)? How does music sound in each car? Is there anything worth mentioning about the 812 over the F12? Are there any tiny details you found that bothered you about each car's daily driving habits? I'm looking for any details!

I'm a bit torn between the 812 and the F12. Seeing both of them side by side at Ferrari of Greenwich, I like the 812. The rear of the F12 leaves a bit to be desired, whereas the front end of the F12 is absolutely gorgeous vs. the rather dull 812. In pictures, I quite like the F12 over the 812, it's so weird. A deciding factor would be their mannerisms. I don't mind investing another $100k or so into an 812 if the daily driving abilities it has are a step above the F12. If it's not very significant, I'd happily keep the difference and invest it elsewhere.. or mods. I have a modification problem (GT3 currently has about 25k invest into it yikes)

I plan on keeping whatever Ferrari I purchase, so I'm definitely taking my time making a decision. Would love everyone's feedback on this.

Cheers!

ewright and anunakki like this.
  2. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    F12 is brilliant ..

430jm likes this.
  3. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    Love the F12 but an absolut no brainer - 812 all day when you have owned both.

Boomhauer and wrs like this.
  4. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I had a F12 up to last November and I have a 812 since few days . 812 is a F12 improved . My sensation after few days is the bigger improvement comes out fro gearbox . Auto on F12 has to be used when you are on queue or when you drive slowly otherwise when you push it is funny . Gearbox on 812 is much better in manual but mainly in auto . Very nice on downshift . They are two very , very nice cars

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You've mentioned this before. No one here has ever said an F12 needs to be run in Auto or any other Ferrari to my knowledge. How long did you own an F12?

Bas likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    First off...VERY sorry to hear about your father. Terrible, just terrible.

With regards to F12 vs. 812 I’d say the main difference is your wallet. F12 will be cheaper to purchase but may have higher running costs out of warranty (and free annual maintenance depending upon year). I have owned and driven both for many miles and the difference between the two is very personal preference stuff. 812 more planted, solid, confidence-inspiring and shockingly fast. F12 more playful and “bite you” attitude.
    Electronics, HVAC, and luxuries work well in both.

MelbourneCarl and Solid State like this.
  7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

These cars have auto? Where is it on my F12?

Sorry about your father. Real reminder of the impact of this disease.

Either one is great. Don’t drive the 812 unless you’re prepared to buy. That said, every time I drive my F12 I ask how can anything be better than this?

italiafan likes this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Very sad about your dad and having to let go the car you shared. Please test ride both cars in question since your dealer has both available for sale. Better to do that first and seek comments later so you don't go in with any bias. It will come down to individual spec and condition since you plan on keeping it and don't care about perceived 'loss' due to DD especially on a newer model.

gzachary and italiafan like this.
  9. rolvail

rolvail Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Rol Hamelin
    I love the looks of the F12 and have two, one the tdf. It’s hard to quantify the difference so you’ll have to drive both. Most non owners can’t tell the difference on which is newer.

x z8 and italiafan like this.
  10. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I owned a F12 for 2 years and I ran it for 20000 km . I just mentioned auto differences just because this post is asking for differences between F12 and 812 . I drove F12 for 2 years and 812 for few days . Immediate feeling is everything is better ,like steering , chassis , brakes , comfort and electronic assistances ( I don’t know about engine yet because I didn’t properly pushed it yet) but greatest difference is the gearbox and its electronics . Faster in manual but not easy to feel , big big difference in auto . You don’t have to think on 812 if you are in auto and suddenly you have the possibility to push you don’t have to switch to manual as on F12 because the gearbox/electronic are performing as you expect not wierd like on F12 . I’ve been in love with F12 . It was first car I owned giving me this feeling . I still think F12 design is better and clean compared to 812 also because it was last Ferrari by pininfarina . I consider 812 design not clean but still nice and it is natural evolution of the previous model

ERACobra, of2worlds, Jo Sta7 and 5 others like this.
  11. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Auto button is just below Rear button and between Rear and Launch buttons . I use auto when I’m in town or when I can’t push . When you push Auto button you switch from one mode to the other . I did the same when I drove my F12 , I just couldn’t realize how it could be improved . Ferrari did

12. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I've owned both and I prefer the 812. However, if money is an object the F12 is a crazy bargain right now.

Having carplay is great. The JBL system sounds great. The car is not as floaty as the F12.

Either one is a great choice but the 812 is the better car.

of2worlds, Thecadster, ScottS and 2 others like this.
  13. AhsanU

AhsanU Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    New York City
    I'm doing some research now and am looking to buy in a month or two around summertime, unless the perfect spec comes up. Having lost a father to the virus, it's scary to even think about going out, so I'm not looking to really even test drive them right now. I know I'll love both though! The only issue is with short test drives is that I definitely won't get the years of experience that some of you guys have behind the wheel, and thus won't discover the little niggles that each car has. I think I'll test them out in a few weeks though.

Money isn't necessarily an object here. I'm the frugal type of guy but when it comes to spending, I'm always willing to spend more to get a quality product. I would hate to spend x amount of dollars on an F12, only to regret it a year or so down the line and wish I had picked up an 812. Hence why I ask about the daily driving aspects of the F12 vs. the 812.

Car play isn't really a thing for me since I'm on Android and will never use an iPhone, but thank you! You're definitely right about the F12 though.. at 180-200k for a higher mileage one, it's a crazy bargain. All I'm trying to quantify is if the 812 is worth the extra 100-120k or so over the F12. Every journalist says that the 812 is better, but is it 120k better?

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S

That’s a you question.

Thecadster, Boomhauer and italiafan like this.
  15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I almost never use auto in my F12

16. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    In my case my F12 was $150k cheaper than my 812. But on the flip side I got to order exactly what I wanted. Ordering a new Ferrari to your spec is an awesome experience. If you are just shopping used then to me it starts to come down to the difference between the specs of the individual cars I'm looking at.

As for driving in auto, just don't. I always manually shift.

MelbourneCarl and ScottS like this.
  17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Had both and 812 better in pretty much every way. Styling is personal and I love both. The only thing I noticed on my 812 that I felt was a move in the wrong direction....turning radius. It’s HUGE. Outside of that...brilliant.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Surprised to hear with the rear wheel steering

19. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I am surprised as well, on my 991 GT3 it did the exact opposite, the turning radius was shorten by a great degree.

20. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    If I remember well, rear steering developed by Ferrari only operates at high speed to stabilise the car with rear wheels turning in the same direction than front wheels. My understanding is that unlike porsches for example, they don’t operate at low speed turning opposite direction than front wheels to improve manoeuvring.
    Perhaps someone can confirm this?

21. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Well that would certainly makes sense.

22. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Both are amazing cars. F12 is a bit more raw and less refined than the 812, which doesn’t necessarily make it better or worse. Just a different feeling.

Can’t go wrong with either.

I’ve had 2 F12s and now an 812.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy, Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  23. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Lots of great insights shared above, but the best advice I could give you would be to go for a spin in both. Nothing beats firsthand experience.

Booker and Thecadster like this.
  24. AhsanU

AhsanU Rookie

Apr 27, 2020
    New York City
    Thank you for the feedback everyone!

I did NOT know about the rear wheel steering of the 812 working in that specific way - can anyone confirm that it doesn't work at low speeds? I enjoy the rear wheel steering in my 991 GT3 because it makes driving around tighter city roads so much less of a headache. One of the key things I thought I would enjoy about the 812 was the fact that it had rear wheel steering vs. the F12, making it a more daily friendly car.

I'm scheduled for an in-person view of the two cars side by side at Ferrari of Long Island tomorrow. I made the mistake of not including the missus in my GT3 purchase, so I'm taking her to have her opinion heard so the car purchase experience goes much smoother. I have a feeling she'll enjoy the one that costs less haha.

Here's another question - how is the attention vs. other sports cars/supercars? One thing I've learned through GT3 ownership is that there's definitely a such thing as unwanted and dangerous attention. Far too often I get people that just feel the need to rev the living hell out of their car and/or drive aggressively (while I'm just driving at a normal speed) just to show off. The GT3 looks like a supercar given its engine layout so the attention was a bit expected, but I'm also hoping the Ferrari F12/812 won't be as much of a "look at me" kind of car. I'm not wanting to get a loud colour for that reason too.

25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    My 2 cents worth on the attention factor: you will get a lot less attention in an F12/812 than virtually any other super car.... provided the F car is in a darker colour. I think the main reason is the shape of the F12/812... to most people it still looks like a 'normal' car, whereas a mid-engine car is almost by definition a 'special' car. And the GT3 just grabs attention with that silly wing ;)

It also matters where and how you drive of course: in London, most people don't give my 812 (in Grigio Titanio) a second glance... but you get out into smaller towns in the UK (especially the less wealthy ones) where such cars are not as common and people definitely notice more. FWIW, 90%+ of the comments I hear are positive; not driving like a ***** helps with that. Maybe it's the ones I don't hear which are less positive ;-)

cwall, KenU, gliazzurri and 2 others like this.