Carbonio Paddle Issues | FerrariChat

Carbonio Paddle Issues

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jo Sta7, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, damn. I bought the extended carbonio paddles and installed myself. Much to my annoyance, the up paddle was sticking. It wasn’t snapping back when pulled. I took them both off and reinstalled the OEM paddles and everything is fine. Upon further examination, look at the thickness difference of the two paddles where they screw on. The up paddle is noticeably thinner which is causing the back side to rub against the steering column and that’s getting stuck. The up paddle ranges between 3-4 mm and the down is 5mm the whole. What do I do?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    sorry.... that's why I'm fine with the stock carbon paddles on my car.

I would figure they will fix the issue for you

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    wow totally different

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    That's clearly way outside acceptable manufacturing tolerances therefor clearly a defect..I expect a reputable company like Carbonia will replace the offending paddle with no quibble whatsoever..I have normal OEM Carbon paddles on my 458 which i'm OK with but have fitted the Carbonia front number plate plinth which is quite brilliant IMO.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ll keep everyone posted.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    They’ll send me new ones and I’ll send them back the defective parts. They responded on a Saturday. Good service. I’ll keep everyone posted.

8. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    The issue Jon experienced is very strange, not at all normal, and not acceptable. We will immediately replace his paddles and issue a return tag for the defective set so that we can investigate what happened. While we strive for 100% customer satisfaction occasionally problems arise and we try our best to fix issues quickly.

Don't worry Jon we'll have you back on the road in no time.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I was impressed I got such a quick response from your customer service on a holiday weekend. As a business owner myself I understand that things aren’t always perfect but reputations are made and lost on making it right in the end. Thanks for the good service!

10. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Based on your number plate plinths i have no doubt that you make top notch quality products..The way you respond to issues is what counts and a sign of good customer relations.

DefunctNeurons and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The manner in which the company responded to the problem is highly commendable. While errors can occur, shipping a clearly substandard product is indicative of a quality control issue on 2 levels. Firstly the product was not manufactured according to spec and secondly it was not QC’d prior to shipping for if it was, the paddles would not have been shipped.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Great to hear they are responsive and fixing your issue quickly.

That said as a business owner the OP should realize how damaging it can be to jump on a forum and tell the world your problems before a company is given the chance to make things right. Every company screws up now and then and the real test comes in how they deal with it.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    On the subject of missing multiple levels of QC a friend of mine worked at a Mercedes dealer that received a car with beige interior and one black headrest! Imagine the number of hands that car passed through without anyone but the final dealer catching the fault. Happens to the best of them.

AD211 likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My friend, this is THE place to do it. I’m very easy to work with. This forum is a great place to bring to light any issues but also the good things as well. I think in this situation Carbonio can come out smelling like roses. We’re all in this together.

15. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Yup, when you deal with custom, high quality parts, some variation can occur but a top company will make it right. I have a set of Carbonio paddles and they are stunningly beautiful and perfectly crafted. I had no issue with them. Even the dealer could barely tell them from stock. I have no doubt you will love them once the new ones get to you.

DefunctNeurons and Jo Sta7 like this.
  16. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Having that level of responsiveness not only on their email/support site, but also here on the forum is a big reason why people come back. That level of human response and humility to admit a defect is a simple yet honest gesture that is so important.

With that said, I hope that Carbonio can figure out where the quality control failed them. I understand that for small businesses, QC cannot be at the level of sophisticated automation of a big manufacturer, but hopefully they have engineering drawings that call for 100% inspection of critical to function dimensions/cosmetics that these parts can be verified against in the future.

Hope you get things resolved @Jo Sta7

Shadowfax and Jo Sta7 like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You don't think this will happen to Ferrari? Well it does. Another owner up here had a CF paddle crack and the dealer ordered a new set. One came witha crack in the coating and the other had a similar fit issue. It's a shame that this happened, but errors do occur, that's just life. This does not have to be a reflection of Carbonio as a whole and I think you're jumping to conclusions and making unfair assumptions by insinuating that this is indicative of a company whom may have general quality issues. It is what it is, I have seen errors on products with the best of manufactures of just about anything from car parts to building materials. What determines the quality of the part and company is down to how they handle the issues.

Boomhauer, dustman, Need4Spd and 4 others like this.
  18. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I too agree that errors do occur in the process of manufacturing . this is a reality of life.
    What happens after an issue is found is what separates the cream from the crop.
    The companies that handle these situations and make the customer feel like they are respected and valued will always be purchased from.

I am happy to see Carbonio step up to the plate and address this issue so quickly. A few weeks ago I purchased an engine compartment kit from them and seeing their actions here proves to me I bought from a good company. They were easy to work with and Paul evenanswered my call on Saturday when I just expected to leave a message on their answering machine. My items fit perfectly and the install couldn't have been easier. I highly recommend this company.
    I only wished they made more items for my car.......

Thanks,
    Gene Greer

DefunctNeurons and Need4Spd like this.
  19. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Jon
    Agree with you 100%.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The after sales service has to be applauded as issues do happen BUT clearly shows a lack of quality control. Glad its resolved fast

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I don’t mind threads like this. They show a good side of a bad situation.

and then there was the Fabspeed Header thread for 360 / 430. That one showed a different side also but not the good one...

DefunctNeurons and ridege55 like this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I like that the OP posted and the fact that Carbonio responded on a holiday weekend so fast...well I like this company even better.

The parts issue is a fluke..things happen to every product a company makes and things happen.

I’ve always heard how great their products are anyway...now I see there after sales service is impeccable

OSUferrari likes this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I have a Carbonio number plate holder for my Pista and it came missing some rubber bumpers - shoulda said something at the time but due to time and distance and a need to get it on the car I found a way around it. So yeah i'd agree with Coincid the QC is a bit dubious. Service was good though. The holder can fall off the car though I've found so needs to be loosened off, put back into proper position and re tightened all the time which is a bit of a PIA.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In complex products, visual inspection is often insufficient to detect all defects. But the paddles and the license plate holders are so simple that any perfunctory visual inspection will reveal any anomalies. A paddle being much thinner than its companion or a license plate holder missing rubber bumpers is inexcusable. Kudos for the timely response to rectify the issue but that does not vitiate the lack of attention to detail prior to shipping.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    I can't fault them for service and applaud their commitment to provide solutions for Ferrari's bad engineering and oversights although I have to say the number plate bracket has sadly proven to be an exercise in futility as there is no way known is it going to stay on for any length of time least of all under any form of sustained or sporty driving. Not a snow flakes chance in hell. So it comes down to taking the risk of leaving it on and having it fly off and go under the car - which would be very very ugly - or face the reality and just take it off and risk the cops spotting it missing. Looks F8 will have the same issue there too. It's probably ok to use for driving too and fro the office or cars and coffee type arrangements - once you've double check it before you leave - which i'm not really in to - but that'd be the start and finish of all it's good for. It needs VERY close monitoring and regular checking each and every time - to be sure - and resetting it into proper position. I couldn't count the amount of times now I've gone to the garage only to find the whole thing sitting on the floor in front of the car. It's a bit of a worry actually.