456 from Japan | FerrariChat

456 from Japan

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Davidspop, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    So has anyone here ever purchased a 456 from Japan...and had it shipped to U.S.? If you have what was your experience, how difficult to get a 1995 cleared to register in the U.S., if anyone knows.

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Another member had one imported to Canada. I don't think you can import the Japanese cars into the US due to lack of airbag in 1995.
    When I imported mine (a North American car) I was told the car had to comply with US safety standards in effect at the time, which included airbags.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I don't think it matters after 25 years for the US.

It's 15 years in Canada. I imported my 550 from Japan but don't believe it would be possible to send it to the US until the 25 year mark due to it not having EPA certification decals etc.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Won't it be right hand drive.. or won't it matter to you, Lance?

5. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    It's actually left hand drive..but I prefer the mon airbag steering wheel and dash..... it's also a 1995 so 25 years old....

6. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Having right hand drive would up the cool factor though!

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #7 ralfabco, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    The Japanese F cars are LHD. FYI the 1994 Japanese 456 has no air bag. I thought at 25 years old it is no longer a concern with DOT/epa regs. No bumpers, speedometer, air bags, and pollution issues etc...

Qavion likes this.
  8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, at 25 years, just a matter of paying the import duty. At least in 49 states, no telling what California's rules are. One Ferrari without smog certification could be the end of the human race.

tres55 and docapl like this.
  9. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Well this would be coming to Florida.....we got no stinkin smog inspection!

10. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I brought one into Canada from Japan four years ago. It's an early 1995, so it's eligible for import to the US now (25 year rule). You have two choices, as the others have said.

1. Wait until the car is 25 years, then import is easy. Just pay 2.1% (IIRC) duty, air con tax, etc. No epa certification either
    2. Get a newer model and spend 40k$+ federalising it with one of the registered importers (assuming it's on the NHTSA's approved exception list). Likely not worth it.

11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It's 3%. Plus some minor minro fees.

Your car will need to be unmodified to qualify for the 25 year rule.

Also your car must be 25 years old TO THE MONTH OD PRODUCTION. Not just model year. You can fall into that trap. Be careful.

Also your car will be subject to state emissions rules. In other words just because the feds said the car can come in doesn't mean your state has to allow you to register it. It will need to pass emissions in your municipality if required. Also it could be subject to a state inspection so beware of that.

The last thing I will say is

Know that the car has paint work. All cars this old from Japan have PAINTWORK.

Also be extremely extremely cautious of rust.

Davidspop and Qavion like this.
  12. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Thank you Technom.....do you know of a trustworthy service the request a PPI?