348 - Help with transaxle identification for drive flange seals | FerrariChat

348 Help with transaxle identification for drive flange seals

Discussion in '348/355' started by KevZep, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    So I have a phantom "weep" from my gearbox, it seems to build up around the RH side under the inner CV joint.
    Its not a lot of oil, only weeps after driving more than 60-ish miles, only ever leaves about a 1/3rd of a teaspoon of gear oil on the floor, once its dripped its done it wont drip any more, so it seems to be something which is happening when the gearbox is hot and under pressure for extended periods of time.

Anyway, its not really stopping me driving the car and enjoying it. But I really want to get to the bottom of it.

So, as a matter of course I want to replace the drive flange seals, I have inspected both, I pulled the right hand drive flange plate/spacer off and resealed it as I thought this may have been contributing, when I had that side plate out I had a careful look at the seal, and it looks totally fine, and as I said, its dry, it really does not look like its been leaking.
    But I want to replace them anyway, who knows, oil leaks can be very deceptive at the best of times!!

So if I am looking at the parts listings exploded views on Europarts and Ricambi, there seems to be two different listings.
    They seem to reference two different "side cover" part numbers.
    How do we know what one we have?
    I pulled the numbers off my gearbox you can see in the pic below, the two side cover numbers are
    #143448 and #131497, from the numbers on my gearbox, I can't see and correlation.

Has anyone been through this before that maybe able to shed some light, I don't particularly want to buy both variants if I can avoid it.....

Thanks guys
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The Eurospares website shows that for the side cover numbers 143448 and 131497, you use seal 141509.

3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yes understood, but what are the covers on my gearbox and how do I work that out? That is my question.

4. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Sorry, as you wrote "I pulled the numbers off my gearbox..., the two side cover numbers are #143448 and #131497", I understood that you read the side cover numbers. Now it is clear.

I see that your gearbox is #141685 6408. The Eurospares website states that side cover 131497 is for gearboxes 141685 up to Nr. 542 and that side cover 143448 is for these gearboxes from Nr. 543 and up. If the "Nr." means the number stamped to the right of the gearbox number "141685", then your side covers should be 143448. However, it is probably better to ask the supplier to re-confirm.

5. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Thanks for that, now it makes sense, but I think I will double check with the supplier to make sure we get it right.....

Thanks again...