Advice on moving to Miami | FerrariChat

Advice on moving to Miami

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Nincompoop, May 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    Hey guys, hopefully you all can help. I am thinking of moving to Miami just to experience what Miami has to offer. I am a 38 yo single professional male. I will have two cars, including my Ferrari (F8) when it arrives next year. I’ve solely researched places using trulia/Zillow. I’ve been to south beach and downtown and liked it.

My issue is I haven’t found anything that I feel can safely accommodate two cars, especially one being a Ferrari. Does anyone have personal experience or advice on
    1. which neighborhoods
    2. which condos/buildings
    3. if owning a Ferrari and parking it in a condo parking is even a good idea?
    Thanks

2. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Hi. Look for a two bedroom in the Asia building in Brickell Key. That’s the best building in the area l, with very high security standards and a place where your Ferrari will be in good company. Prices have come down a lot there lately so good timing.

3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    "
    Advice on moving to Miami"

Don't do it.

docf, HotShoe, tonyswfla and 3 others like this.
  4. Nincompoop

Nincompoop Rookie

Feb 9, 2017
    Nevada
    Mmyhorses: thank you for your recommendation, I’ll definitely look into it.

Ianjoub: Lol admittedly I do have strong reservations.

Ianjoub likes this.
  5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think you will love it. I was born and raised in Miami and could never move back there, but for your situation it will be a great experience.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    You're probably better off moving to someplace a bit further north, like Palm Beach County. Still plenty of Ferrari activity.

7. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    I love Miami, I relocated to Florida & I'm living in Boca Raton now, its a great area part of Palm Beach County. Miami is great as well, you can definitely find a place to accommodate your cars! Theres one building in Sunny Isles approx. 30 Minutes from South Beach, Ocean front Condo building. You can take your cars up with you to your condo with the elevator. its known as " The Porsche Design Tower ". Such a cool building! I have a client I am working with right now relocating from NY. he has a few exotic cars and is considering purchasing in this building. If you'd like to discuss more, send me a message. I can definitely help you with your searches and share my thoughts.

8. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    My company used to have an office in the Four Seasons building downtown and I can tell you that the residents floors of the parking garage were absolutely full of Ferraris and other exotics tucked up under car covers. I assumed that they were largely vacation homes for wealthy Latin American and other people, but it was quite a spectacle.

https://www.kdprimeproperties.com/four-seasons-residences-brickell/

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    As someone who lived in Miami for many years, I have two words of advice for you:

LEARN SPANISH.

APA#1, HotShoe, NYC Fred and 4 others like this.
  10. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    In my opinion, Brickell is a very cool area, lots of modern concept buildings that went up. Only problem with Brickell is that there’s so many units for sale and it’s extremely over valued! Not to many units are selling in that area because of the over supply there is. Very unfortunate for the buyers who paid top dollar for their new construction units before they were built, and now can’t even sell them for the money they paid.

11. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Let's launder some money Miami style.

12. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Back in the day I used to rent a winter home in Delray Beach, FL and loved it! I wasn't too far from Boca and West Palm Beach however I never liked Miami, have you spent much time in Miami? If not rent a short term place for 3 months to try it out.

13. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    I’m in!

14. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Delray is a great area! Great idea to rent before purchasing.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I spent time with miami and the bay. Miami is the best city ever to me. Sadly car culture is all show off: no good roads, bad traffic... we lived in a beautiful condo in brickell..hard to park etc... if u looking for a hot girl yes by all means but to drive... nah... insurance rate will go
    Up and ppl drive like crazy;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChipG likes this.
  16. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Suggest using http://www.city-data.com/ to get demographics, population, etc. in addition to Trulia, et al.

Also, if important to you, Google map the address and click on nearby to determine walk-ability. I also suggest searching out the festivals, spring break and such (there are many) that are held in Miami proper and Miami Beach as these confound heavy traffic to withering heights.

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I lived there years ago (I live a bit northwest of there now), but can tell you there are plenty of condos that have good parking for high value cars. That said, if I were to move back, I'd live a bit away from downtown or the beach unless I have a reason to be there every day, and make the kind of throwaway cash that it takes to live as I desire in that setting. Consider the newer burbs. We used to call it "out west" where the newer houses were built and a variety of gated communities were located. I also like Coral Gables just southwest of downtown. This is where I usually stay these days and even there parking can be a MF. Condos and such are nice, however I would always want a workshop or private air-conditioned garage.

Keep in mind the beach is a flood zone as is a lot of the area around the bay. This makes it tough for someone who may need to choose which car to evacuate in during a storm event, and knowing that once the roads flood as they do, you are not driving the Ferrari out in the salt water. Yes, storm event, we have hurricanes here, I'm sure not a news flash but take it seriously. I lived there right after hurricane Andrew, and I can tell you it's like an atomic blast if you get hit. Your cars need to be secure, or you will need to move them if you care if they get damaged. I now live on an island that floods at high tide, and a lot worse in storms with surge, so the reality of not getting the Ferrari out early if needed is real. My garage is above most historic flood levels, but the baseline for possible storm surge Cat-5 flooding is a few feet up the garage wall, so I'm realistic when telling people to understand what to expect.

All that said, Miami is like nowhere else on the planet and if given the choice, it's where I would live.

eziotestarossa likes this.
  18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Check out the Ritz tower. coconut grove.
    Buddy has a place there + parking for 5 collector cars. Garage is very accomodating, and since it's combined condos + hotel, lots of unused parking and amenities right on site.
    Across the street from Dinner Key marina if that matters. Close to S beach + downtown but away from the craziness.

19. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #19 F355 Fan 82, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
    What kind of lifestyle do you want?

1. Money is obviously no object to you having an F8 then continuum without a doubt. I lived there for a few years, there's no place on the planet that rivals the experience if you want beach,dining, and nightlife within steps

2. If you value a better place for the same money then sunny isles or brickell will give you more condo for the money ie 1200 sq ft at continuum is 2500 sq ft at other places.

3. If you want a home, palm island,hibiscus,venetian are all the miami beach homes. If you go 30 min north to davie $1m gets you a gorgeous home on a huge plot of land. In south beach it gets you nothing home wise. Morningside isn't south beach but its right across the bridge, really nice place.

4. Ferrari and condo its really hard to get insurance, all the insurers consider it public parking, the only one i found to insure me was state farm and i didn't like it. It's not stated value and just sucks. Everyone seems to have exotics in south beach but nobody wants to insure them in condos so its weird. Had a few exotics, not worth it in miami, everyone else has one and traffic sucks, the only time I really enjoyed mine was 6 am rips down the 5th street bridge, other than that it sucks and valet is $40-100 everywhere so I left mine at home and would uber most times. I was married so wasting $100 on valet to impress girls wasn't high on my list.

I live on fisher island now, if you like to golf its the best lifestyle, the only downside is to really enjoy fisher island is the monthly fees. Im renting my place now but you can still get a membership at the club for $250k. If you buy a place on fisher island your condo will probably have $5k/mo in fisher island fees for the club, but the privacy is worth it if you can afford it. Pre covid, having the island restaurants only for the club members is the nicest thing ever. Grab a drink at the private club, im a quiet guy I don't like riff raff so its for me.

Ask away and ill answer anything you want, im a little younger than you so our interests probably align lifestyle wise.

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Rent first.

Unless you like very superficial people who are only interested in what they can get/steal/beg from you. Oh, and lots and lots of gold diggers who will love the Ferrari. Careful though, they like to drug you and then steal your watch! :) Overpriced everything with a free side order of attitude, lol. Traffic, traffic, and more traffic!!! It can take 60 minutes to go 3 miles. Also don't forget the severe flooding any time it rains, and Urban weekend, and ..... ;)

Miami is like a giant plate of crap covered in chocolate. The trick is to eat the chocolate very slowly so you don't get to the ****. :)

BT and Dean Palmer like this.
  21. JLopez

JLopez Rookie

Sep 3, 2009
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Random question, in your opinion would you say there is a demand for storage of exotic cars specifically in or around Brickell? Something not ground level either.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I saw so many exotics in brickell that it seems ppl are not afraid to park it in high rises.

JLopez likes this.
  23. JLopez

JLopez Rookie

Sep 3, 2009
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ok thanks for the feedback!

24. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Agreed, I have seen a lot of exotics around the area, and apparently many owners in the high rises. It's not a typical mixed-use apartment complex, and most have respect for others in the garage. I looked at some at one point and some buildings are very generous with parking designed with fine autos in mind. Just gotta look and ask. Google searches work well once you get past all the exotic rental car ads :)

JLopez likes this.
  25. MiamiScudLover

Jan 21, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My office has been in the Brickell area since 2002. I can personally tell you that Brickell floods very easily. Just two weeks ago we had quite a bit of rain and in a few of these storms it flooded to waist high level within an hour. Broken down cars everywhere. Same for areas of Miami Beach specifically sunset Harbour south to 5th street and the south of fifth neighborhood. My friends New Mclaren was a total write off from flood damage and my mechanic was flooded (no pun intended) with water damaged exotics. Oh and yeah. It’s hard to find anywhere fun to drive down here. It’s about waking up early on the weekends and finding the fun roads which are few and far between. As a driving enthusiast I would be out of this city quickly if my job didn’t keep me here. And as some others have mentioned people can be pretty flashy and you will get the feeling they are driving nice cars solely for the status. I was driving one day and Some kid in a gold wrapped aventador saw my black scud and scoffed as if it was a Honda Civic. No joke. if I were you I would look north or also consider a nice high rise in the Coconut Grove area. Good luck.

HotShoe likes this.