WTF $7500 for a headlight bulb!!! | FerrariChat

WTF $7500 for a headlight bulb!!!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by msgm1, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Ok I jest somewhat but not really.

I wanted to put a new headlight bulb in my FF to try and get more light, I recently replaced the bulbs in my 991 and it made huge difference. So I called FOLI parts department to be told that you cannot replace the bulbs the whole unit is sealed and the cost of a new unit can be up to $7500 per side, WTF!

Thank goodness the bulb hasn’t failed.

Has anyone had a headlight bulb fail and if so what did they do?

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    eurospares quotes a RRP of $2,652 - still far from cheap but better than $7,500.

3. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    I guess thankfully no one has had to replace one!

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #4 thorn, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    You'd expect a company that spends 10 figures designing an engine to be able to design a headlight enclosure that allows for a bulb replacement.

Then again, we're talking about Ferrari...

(Edit: Seriously - you can't replace JUST the bulb? That sounds bizarre. Even for Ferrari.)

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just looking at photos of used FF headlights it doesn't look sealed. There's a big rubber cover on the back for the bixenon bulb housing. I'm sure it will be a pain to get access to that area. Either you have to remove the entire headlight (front bumper and all) or get access by removing wheels and fender liners.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    That's what the service department told me today, agreed it sounds ridiculous. They also said that they had never had one fail....

7. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    I believe that is a lot of BS, as they are confusing bulbs with headlights.
    By law, headlights must be constructed in such way that bulbs are
    replaceable.
    In the '60s and '70s cars in the US were built with sealed beams, where the
    headlight was actually the bulb, but since then the regulation was changed
    and the US came out of the dark ages.
    My old 456mcar came with spare bulbs, one for each type in the tool kit, although I
    am not sure if they still do today.
    Regardless, my point is that since bulbs are known to have a limited life
    span, they must be replaceable.

RamsHmb, soulsea, otakki and 2 others like this.
  8. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    I would agree, nut try and find a replacement build anywhere on the internet for a FF headlight...out doesn’t exists...

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  10. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
  11. carlo50

carlo50 Rookie

Apr 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Carl Roberts
    Hi guys, Im new to Ferrari ownership, hopefully taking delivery of a 2012 FF in a week or so, and one of the first things to do is replace the D1S bulbs for a slightly whiter higher output OSRAM Cool Blue or something, is access through the wheel arch liners only on the FF?

Thanks

Carl

12. chet

chet F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2007
    Chicago
    When I purchased my '06 612, it was still under factory warranty. It arrived and there was a metal shaving in one of the headlights and the other one had moisture. Same story--the lights were all sealed and had to be replaced as a unit. Thankfully, FNA approved their replacement under warranty and I think the quoted price was around what you said. GL

13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hello Carl,

Welcome to FChat, Ferrari ownership and FF ownership!

All the info you need on FF headlamp bulb replacement is here in this thread.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ff-xenon-bulb-change.633407/
    The search function is your friend (even if it can be a bit of a PITA to use!). But to answer your question, yes, access to the headlamp bulbs is through the wheel arch liner. I had my bulbs changed when the wheels were off the car for the seasonal tyre change.

otakki likes this.
  14. Wazzer

Wazzer Karting

Jun 23, 2020
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Waz
    Yup. See ANOpax's post/link. Bulbs are definitely replaceable and others have done it. I looked into it. Its not expensive at all <$200 total for both main beam bulbs and you can select different color temperatures (blue/white vs yellow/white) etc.