Just bought a 1986 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Just bought a 1986 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gary Sandberg, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

[​IMG]
    21,500 km. Brakes, suspension bushings, clutch all done. The car was originally sold in France then imported to the US. I even have a copy of the original purchase agreement as well as all service records.

Price: $89,995 CDN (approx. $64,300 USD). Price was reduced by $5,000 CDN.

JuLiTrO, SpyderGT, speedcat and 2 others like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Congrats ! That’s pretty cool! I’d love to know how it drives and sounds compare to the TR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  3. Gary Sandberg

Maybe I'll have to start my own Youtube channel - Gary's Garage ;). I even have some denim shirts to go with my jeans.

It was fun to go for the initial test drive. The salesrep and I had talked and so he of course knew I had a TR. He also used to work for Ferrari Vancouver.

So, he checked that my driver's license hadn't expired, tossed me the keys and said: "You know these cars".

Anyway, I found the steering surprisingly light compared to the TR (there is not really that much weight difference - approx 150 kg). Brakes were excellent and the clutch effort light and shifting easy as well (again, had just been totally serviced). Just like the TR, once it was moving, everything just came together.

Both cars I could drive a long distance and not come out feeling fatigued. I've been behind the wheel of my TR for more than 3 hours and felt great when I emerged from the car. No stiffness whatsoever.

The only things I need to get used to with the 328:

1) there is no rake adjustment for the steering wheel.

2) the pedal box seems small compared to the TR and the angle seemed a little sharper, so finding the pedals took some conscious thought initially.

3) the centre guages (for me) are slightly obstructed by the steering wheel and I need to sort through all of the various warning lights in the main binacle.

But, I love the car. It is nicely balanced, very tractable. Certainly in city traffic, much easier to handle than the TR. Like the TR, the more i drive the 328, the better the experience will be.

I'm not giving up either one. :cool::D

Saabguy likes this.
  4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    On obstructed gauges - sounds counter intuitive but try moving the seat up a notch and recline it further. That's what worked for me because before doing that full throttle was a bit of a toe stretch (it's a pretty long throttle throw) You'll get used to the pedal offset pretty quick and it will become a non-issue.

SpyderGT and Gary Sandberg like this.
  5. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for the tips. Car should be delivered next week and I'll be looking forward to putting your advice into practice.

6. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Congrats! LOVE this color combo. Hopefully you will have many years of enjoyment

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Two videos featuring your colour combination 328 GTS on YouTube already.

Enjoy !!

8. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for your time to research and post!!!! Very much enjoyed.

Rosey likes this.
  9. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I

10. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Is this vin 60265 original sold by Pozzi France ?

11. Gary Sandberg

Yes. Original purchase price was 314,300 francs.

12. Gary Sandberg

I meant to ask, are you familiar with the car?

13. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    History of this car was published in previous offer.

Congrats for your nice toy. I Don't know other Grigio / Rosso original French 328GTS and very few in Europe.

14. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    There is on the 308, so it's probably there on the 328. There's a bolt under the column that can be loosened and the angle changed a bit. That said, it won't bring you the joy you are looking for. I found that a 1" spacer behind the steering wheel was a bigger help. The top gauges are obstructed for me also.

15. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for the congrats and clarification Bertrand328. After a bit of searching I see that the car went through BaT in 2018.

The colour combination is amazing - I have seen it on earlier Porsche and Lamborghini models. Red interiors have not traditionally been my favourite, but with this car it fits perfectly.

16. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for the advice Brian. I didn't find the steering wheel angle annoying and during the test drive the wheel felt comfortable. I was just a little surprised considering that there is an adjustment for rake on my TR.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As a 16-year owner of an '86, welcome to the fraternity! I've never seen your color combination on a 328 before. You'll enjoy the car on the mountain roads that I know you have in B.C.

One other annoyance, if you drive the car at night - the instrument lighting is very poor, and there is little that you can do about it.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  19. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Beautiful! Congrats and enjoy. Interesting feedback on TR v 328.

20. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Yes: 6 years ago i wanted to buy this car in Florida ( Fort Lauderdale) but i it went wrong with the communication and so I was to late!
    I think the seller was the first owner......price was 41000 euro that time .
    The car is really beautifull ! Congratulations! It will bring always a big smile on your face when you drive it or when you look in your garage!!
    Have fun with it they are very reliable machines and not at all complicated .
    Most things you can do yourself as on an regular car.
    I now have a 328 GTB 88 1/2 also Euro Black with tan.
    Greatings from Belgium ( Bruges)

21. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    yes: 6 years ago i wanted to buy this car in Florida ( Fort Lauderdale) but i it went wrong with the communication and so I was to late!
    I think he was the first owner......price was 41000 euro that time .
    The car is really beautifull ! Congratulations! It will bring always a big smile on your face when you drive it or when you look in your garage!!
    Have fun with it they are verry reliable machines and not at all complicated .Most things you can do you
    I have now a 328 GTB 88 1/2 also Euro Black with tan.

22. Gary Sandberg

No offense and I only mean this in a joking way, but sorry for you, happy for me - :);).

Euro black with tan is a gorgeous combination. Many years ago I had the opportunity to spend time with both a Lamborghini Miura and a Ferrari Daytona.

Both Euro black with tan. It is such an outstanding colour combination. Congratulations on your Black with tan GTB!!!!

I love Bruges. In 1991, my wife and I did a major side trip to Bruges on the route from Amsterdam (by way of Kinderdyck to see the windmills) to Paris, just to experience the medieval architecture. Just beautiful!! We couldn't stay too long, but would love to go back for another visit some day.

23. startshine1

startshine1 Karting

Nov 11, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Here it is with the other also Ferrari speedline wheels.
    Now it has back the original delivery wheels!
    Gary gi Image Unavailable, Please Login ve me a sign whenever you come back to Bruges !
    Be my guesti

Attached Files:

24. Gary Sandberg

Stunning car!!! I like the speedline wheels, but being a bit of a purist, am somewhat glad to see put the originals back on.

Merci pour votre invitation. Who knows, maybe when the craziness ends, there could be an opportunity.