F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    jim g likes this.
  2. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This looks very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Question: Is the Pista a good reference for the F8 in regards to removing the GPF?
    Aren’t the engines and turbos in these cars identical? And weren’t early production Pistas produced without a GPF? If so, then the tuning of the Pista could be a good reference for how to tune the F8 if the GPF were removed.

Question #2: Is the GPF legally required here in the USA in 2020?

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    it might be state to state but on #2 the answer is no.

5. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    In regards to this topic, can we also add a capristo or forza exhaust valve controller? I cannot remember somewhere here a member possibly tried and it set off the check engine light. I just want this car to sound better/louder from outside. Its the only one thing holding me back still to really make the move to the F8.

LMH likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    No Pista has been or will be produced with GPF.

Bundy and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Valve controller doesn't set off check engine light

8. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    In the general F8 chat someone commented that he had the valves pinned and some error/limp mode appear, and he had to undo it

Wasenda likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That doesn't seem to make sense and hasn't been an issue on any other Ferrari including the Pista.

10. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I’ve heard on the F8 they put sensors in the exhaust that will set off check engine lights if valves are pinned. That wasn’t done before.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. 17 488spider

17 488spider Rookie

May 22, 2020
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Is there a video of this in action?

12. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Just search FChat...well documented that you cannot pin the valves in an F8 due to ECU causing warning lights....strictly due to GPF...
    Also have to be concerned that Ferrari will not honor warranty issues if GPF altered in any way....
    Maybe these tuner companies have figured out a way to get by all of this....but I would want it in writing before I made a change....

I really thought the F8 exhaust sound would be disappointing after owning a 458 but the F8 sounds pretty darn good...especially on cold start and above 3500 rpm....

Coincid and LMH like this.
  13. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I tried on my F8 and got error. As did Cpiguy. F8 and Portofino are first Ferrari’s you cannot pin open values (until someone figures a work around - hopefully soon!

Bundy, LMH and junc like this.
  14. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I was told by my dealer if you put on a controller ,
    it will not get any errors. Apparently they have installed a few. Best , Kirk

15. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Really. Has any of our members here installed the unit on their F8. I would love to here real life experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes that's right, pinning throws up errors, this is confirmed

LMH likes this.
  17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Why not buy a Pista exhaust which doesn’t feature the GPF and bolt that into the F8. Or else dissect a Pista exhaust and use that design on your F8.
    Then you would probably need to retune the software but you could use the Pista software as a guide.

Would that be too difficult to do?

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The essential differentiation between the Pista and the F8 is predicated upon software. I have little doubt that there are tuning experts that can recalibrate the F8 to mimic that of the Pista at a fraction of the cost difference between the 2 models.

ScottS and MalibuGuy like this.
  19. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    I’ve had my valves pinned open and it affected performance and popped an error light. The dealer reverse it. Any of the electronic valve kits will do the same. Novitec has already developed an exhaust system for the F8. It can be ordered now for delivery soon. It’s very similar to the Pista exhaust. I will be considering it once I hear a few more video’s.

LMH likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #20 Shadowfax, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Your dealers seem to say a lot of things and make a lot of claims without firstly doing their homework because if they did they wouldn't have bothered pining the F8 exhaust valves open to begin with. The F8 pre and post cat pressure sensor issue is old news my way......can't fit valve controller or pin valves or upset the back-pressure or it throws CEL and drops into a form of limp mode.

With Pista, the usual valve controllers which were available will indeed all throw a CEL on the Pista and put the car into limp which is precisely why only the very latest controllers specifically designed for Pista will work on the car. They use a secondary duplicate set of dummy electronic valve actuators which piggy back the cars existing actuators to trick the ecu into thinking it still has control over the valves.

With F8 the actuators are electronically controlled and variable position opening unlike Pista's which use vacuum operation so the valves are either fully opened or fully closed by the ECU.

F8's variable position opening controls and maintain the back-pressure level in the pipe (post turbo) within a set parameter so the GPF works properly. If you screw with around with that and the back-pressure within the pipe falls outside the set parameters then the car throws CEL and goes into limp.

Changing the muffler will also affect the back pressure upstream and I imagine that depending upon how much baffling is removed from the muffler to make more sound it could take the back-pressure levels outside of the parameters so I wouldn't hold too much hope for much improvement in sound at the muffler end. The sensors also detect any change in pulse so any change in pulse the same thing happens again. I wish F8 owners and the exhaust guys good luck with it.

Vertix and Randyslovis like this.
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For sure but then kaboom there goes your warranty.

22. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    My dealer took a shot at opening the valves knowIng that the word was it would throw a CEL They reversed and didn’t charge me a nickel for doing it or picking up and delivering the car twice. They’re actually great guys. As far as exhaust solutions, Novitec already has a system that is very similar to the catless and valved system they sell for the Pista, which I heard a few days ago. I think they’re taking ordered with delivery in a few weeks.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Funny how when you click on their link the virus warning immediately engages on the computer, warning the site is dangerous (hackers and malware etc) lol.

How do they do it? I imagine a software re write if anything. The rest of their claims being a lure to their hacking den.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #24 Shadowfax, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Yes but I'm sure - as is the case with Novi's Pista cat-less option - that a re write is needed to use it. The only system that will work on Pista without a re write is the valved version using the stock cats. The high flow cats can trigger a CEL as the sensor in the plenum detects the change which is why you have the OBD plug in to clear them out. One positive is that the CEL doesn't affect the running or performance from what I've been told but on the F8 having the sensor upstream in the inlet manifold/plenum and downstream post cat the fail safes work in unison and are in place for any change in back-pressure or pulse up or downstream. With F8 the only way forward is a software rewrite from what Im told and that means your warranty is toast.

25. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Ok, so I’m no expert, but one of the guys the does some work on my Ferrari’s can add electronically controlled valves without any CEL issues. He briefly explained how he does it. He adds a second set of valves, with control. He charges around $2500 and guarantees it.

Cigarzman likes this.