ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FAILURE, 2014 California | FerrariChat

ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM FAILURE, 2014 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Nick.C, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Hi all...

took the car for a “spirited drive” yesterday.. no problems at all.. stopped at shops, then went to Re-Start and this error message comes up...
    Followed by visit dealer.
    Problem is, my nearest dealer is 3 hours drive away and there is, no one there At the moment, that could help me...

My question is, anyone else had this warning message..? And what does it actually mean?
    I cannot find anything in the user manual about it...

I have ordered an OBD code reader, to see if I can self diagnose it and perhaps try and clear it..

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    So did you leave the car at the shops or when you rerestarted did the message go away ? If you were able to drive home was performance limited ?

3. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    If the car is covered by warranty call roadside assistance and they will pick the car up and take it to the dealer.

Nick.C likes this.
  4. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Hi... yes. Stopped car and parked up for about 20mi s.
    Car starts and drives as normal.
    I can’t feel or sense any difference
    But the message is still there.

Friend of mine has suggested disconnecting the battery, leave for a few minutes and reconnect... and that might clear it ?

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It's worth a shot ... strange things can happen if you start the car before it's completed its own little diagnostic check -- you want to wait a few seconds after you turn the key, you'll hear three little beeps when it's ready to fire up.

Usually those hiccups do not leave the error message up on restart, though.

One of the techs who posts here -- Brian Brown -- has suggested this procedure to reset the ECUs on a California and clear any errors. You'll want to follow his instructions carefully if you decide to move forward.

Nick.C likes this.
  6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you have a reader coming use that first as the disconnect may well remove any stored codes

Nick.C likes this.
  7. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Hi...thanks for the advice. I am not sure about doing that Procedure myself, but will ask my local mechanic to have a go at it... if it does not clear

8. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I had the same message. I leave my car with the battery disconnected always as I find it easier than connecting the conditioner and where I am in the middle east the battery lasts longer that way. Car was underground and when I connected the battery and tried to start I got that message. Bad news was that after I took it to the dealer (on a transporter) a rat hat taken a liking to the wires that are part of the fuel injection rail tucked under the overhead manifolds. They only found the broken wire with a borascope and it cost me the equivalent of 4 thousand pounds to fix, much of which was labour. Not wishing to alarm you (excuse the pun) but it seems that is a general fault message that can mean all sorts of things. In my case n expensive one.

9. Nick.C

Nick.C Rookie

Oct 14, 2019
    Full Name:
    nicholas chatburn
    Hi guys...
    Thought I should update you.
    Thanks for the advice and reply’s.

ok, I left the car standing for about 24hrs, turned the ignition on and off several times... and the fault “cleared”...

I didn’t disconnect the battery or anything else. Just turned the ignition on and off repeatedly.

I found a Local garage, that services Alfa’s and Maserati’s, that has an brand new OBD Code reader that can read almost any Ferrari.
    Plugged it in and a did a complete diagnostic of everything, engine, gearbox, software, etc etc.. and it showed no faults. Not even a “stored fault”..

the engineer/mechanic said he has owned and works on a lot of Italian cars.. he called them... “quirky” and this is not unusual... lots of electrical “gremlins” in these cars...

he puts these kind of things down to being an “Italian Glitch”.... common in particular, for Ferrari’s..
    Well, who would of thought that... .

I was warned about Italian car ownership, after coming out of Nissan GTR ownership for 10 years, without any issues, certainly no engine management melt downs... and prepare myself for trips to dealers...

so, next time... before I panic... I will be thinking about that “Italian Glitch”

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How old is your battery? Is it always on the battery tender? At a minimum, keep on the tender all the time. If the battery is getting old, consider replacing with new. Many of the quirks can be traced to the battery.
    T