430 \ 360 anyone lower their car on the factory coil overs | FerrariChat

430 \ 360 anyone lower their car on the factory coil overs

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Mar 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    i believe the euro cars are slightly lower and I know it’s already tough to not scrape. The wheel gap mainly in the front is really starting to get to me. Anyone go lower on factory coil overs. I am wondering if this will create dampening issues. Any real life experience would be great to hear.

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    BigBossF430, Dmaisano1, Robb and 5 others like this.
  3. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #3 unreelviper, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easily done if you limit yourself to 15-20 mm. More than that and you get the shocks out of their optimum operating range.

unreelviper and Penzinger like this.
  5. Aeron Fout

Aeron Fout Karting

Nov 21, 2019
    Cocoa Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    flyadf
    I bought a large spanner tool on Amazon and lowered the factory coilovers on my 360 myself. It was very easy, but it’s a great way to beat up your hands if you’re not careful. I lowered the front and rear on one side until I was happy with the ride height, then took measurements and matched it on the other side. I also had a full alignment done professionally afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

unreelviper likes this.
  6. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
  7. F430101

F430101 Rookie

Feb 29, 2020
    If you don’t mind limiting your drives to close to never then lower your 430. I brought mine lowered and I’ve had it raised to ferrari specs and can actually drive it now with out bottoming out regularly. Skid plates worth putting on if you want to lower!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    When I bought my 430, it had already been lowered a bit from factory settings by previous ownership, and also had front skid plates installed thank goodness. It wasn't much, but the front skid plates would hit a lot when leaving the driveway, and there were places on the roads at any speed over 20mph that would bump, and some damn hard. I ended up raising up the car just a bit. Used spring compressors and a spanner wrench. Front was the concern, but back need to be done as well but the spring seats are sagging over the adjuster nut, so that will be a job for another time.

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i tried it and only lasted 2 weeks before i went back to stock. northeast roads dont make it easy

10. Zahjah

Zahjah Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Maryland/Colorado
    been driving it lowered for 8 years now (with skid plates)- does it take a little beating-- sure, i just consider the scrapes a badge of honor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

unreelviper likes this.
  11. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I had the 430 lowered with the factory springs. No handling issues at all. It looks way better but yes, you will scrape the front here and there and occasionally the diffuser fins. We have speed bumps in our new neighborhood and it makes me think twice about taking the 430. Usually we end up taking wifes' 458. It isn't lowered. Never an issue.

I agree with earlier comments re the roads. I live in south florida and roads are good mostly. I visited SC with it a few years ago and could barely drive it because of the scraping. I could barely get in and out of parking lots. It was rough.

12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Mine is at stock height and I've scraped bottom on spirited backroad drives, keeping mine stock!

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    here is a video on YouTube of the "SummitLife couple" doing it themselves to their 430...

SingleClutch and kes7u like this.
  14. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    You can, however by doing that you are slacking the pre-load which results in slightly soggy suspension which can lead to bottoming out and scraping.
    Better doing it with a shorter slightly stiffer spring, i.e. the Scud's Springs.

Just because the body of the Damper Unit is threaded over almost it's entire length doesn't mean it is there for a huge range of adjustment.

The threading is there to allow the correct pre-load of the Spring to be set.
    Obviously this then allows you to fine tune to get your specified ride height and corner weights right.

Ride height is predetermined by the pre-loaded length of the spring.

Manufacturers, in this case Ferrari, give certain specifications for ride heights, but if you look at these specs it is always given with a + or - amount (e.g. 114mm +/- 5mm).

The Spring is set to it's recommended pre-load (a measurement between Spring Platforms given by Ferrari), then you have a certain latitude of adjustment to set the cars ride height.

Dropping the cars ride height outside the "specified parameters" by simply unwinding the Platforms reduces the designed pre-load and results in a softer spring rate, and thus a slightly soggy suspension.

Of course that means the car grounds out more easily, and also results in excessive pitch and roll when pushed hard (circuit driving in particular).

This is why to correctly lower the ride height of your car you should install Springs that are designed to run at lower ride heights.

For example Novitec, or H&R, or in this case the genuine "Scud Springs".

The shortest Springs (Novitec or H&R) will have what is effectively built in helper springs to compensate for the shorter length but maintain the correct pre-load.

But race cars are really low I hear you say !

Race cars, like the "Challenge Cars" for example, can go much lower because they use shorter Damper Units and Springs designed specifically for the purpose.

The perfect set up is inboard Push Rod suspension (F50, Enzo, LaF).
    The pre-load is set on the Spring/Damper Unit, then the ride height/corner weights are adjusted on the Push Rod.
    Of course then there is the whole bump stop thing to consider.........

However we don't have the luxury of that on our more conventionally suspended cars, so it has to be done with Springs.

15. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Just get some H&R or Novitec. H&R being the cheaper option.

16. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    I went with the genuine 430 Scuderia Springs (steel versions).
    Relatively inexpensive, and the dealer was more than happy to supply and fit.

At the same time I had them install the Scuds Nylon Spring Spacers in place of the Rubber ones, which were a bit tired.

I then had the suspension set up as per the Scud (ride height etc).

Gave me exactly what I was looking, and of course just right for the roads here in the UK.

Part Numbers are:

Front Spring (Scud Steel): 256954
    Rear Spring (Scud Steel): 257179

Spacer Lower (Scud Nylon): 181408
    Spacer Upper(Scud Nylon): 245623

Flea7 likes this.
  17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm running Novitec.

Tackleberry likes this.
  18. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has anyone been able to lower their F430 without removing the coilovers from the car? I was able to do it on my old F355.

19. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Yes, I had to raise mine up as it was lowered. Plenty of threads out there to read about it. Just need a spring compressor and some spanner wrenches. Can be tough when the spring seat rubber is pressing down over the adjusters however.

Eric C likes this.
  20. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok, I ordered the spanner tool from Ricambi. There's enough room in there to get spring compressors put on the spring? Did you just use the basic ones that you can rent from the auto parts store?

21. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    It's a tight fit and not perfect. I have a few sets, and had to use a pair that are smaller and can grab from the sides. Not all work well. Not sure what the auto parts stores might rent, but worth the $30 to buy. Let me see if I can run down and take a pic.

22. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'd appreciate a picture of what you used and what worked. I'll just order a set. Thanks!!

23. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
  24. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Yes, it's very tight and i've used the one pictured. I had to cut the threading down. It's just better to take them out if you have a press.

25. Dean Palmer

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I'm about ready to install new seats on the rears, so will drop the whole a-arm and shock package. No press should be needed... I hope :) I do have a lift that makes life easier.