F-430 Manual Grinding Sound When Starting to Accelerate | FerrariChat

F-430 Manual Grinding Sound When Starting to Accelerate

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Metastable, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Hey guys.... ok so I noticed a slight grinding noise just when I start to accelerate. It goes away after I have any bit of speed.

Here are the steps, engine and clutch are perfectly warm.
    - Stopped
    - clutch depressed, released, start rolling
    - give a tiny bit of gas
    - grinding/rattle noise
    - speed up to 10 - 15 mph (guessing here) and noise goes away.

Has anyone experienced this? I am thinking somewhere in the driveshaft... maybe something loose or clutch plate springs or something along those lines??? Ideas on how to figure this one out? Car has 30,000 miles.

Thanks

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you checked the transmission mount?

3. Metastable

Nope, but I asked another F430 member that replaced his transmission mounts and this noise does not seem to be similar to what he experienced. Thanks for the idea.

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Heat shield? Does it correlate with something turning (something might be rubbing), or engine rpm (harmonic)?

sjd

5. Metastable

I would have to check on the turning, but I do not think so.... noticible on very low rpm, goes away as revs increase. You have given me an idea though. I think it is only when I am in gear..... will check that out by seeing if the sound will replicate in neutral, but I do not think it will.