Pista wheels, will the 488 wheels fit on a pista ??? | FerrariChat

Pista wheels, will the 488 wheels fit on a pista ???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RobertM, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I have a 2018 Ferrari 488 gtb and installed vossen HC-1 and are 20 - 21 and wanted to know if anyone knows if they will fit on a Pista. Not sure if the brakes are larger that the 488gtb. wheels are 20x9 (offset +35) and 21x12 (offset +35)

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apparently tyres dimensions are exactly the same for the GTB and Pista so wheels are the same sizes - but I do not know about the offsets. It seems that the rear and front tracks are also the same though, so it's likely to be identical.
    Standard wheels are all 20" though.

3. markcs

markcs Karting

Oct 23, 2016
    There are a few Pista photos on this forum with gtb wheels
    So I would say yes

458-Italia likes this.
  4. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I agree

5. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Speciale and Italia wheels had different offsets. However, I think the actual fender and mounting point was the same, so an aftermarket wheel could fit both cars the same.

I would confirm with a wheel dealer however.

6. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    OK how about Speciale wheels to Pista?

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    offsets are different between the Speciale and 488 GTB, so if Pista is like the GTB there will be the same difference.

8. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    If offsets are different, can I add spacers to Pista wheels to fit on Speciale? I have an extra set of wheels from my Pista since the carbon wheels were delayed by several months. I’d like to add those 10 spoke wheels to my Speciale. Wheels are sitting at the Ferrari service dept.
    Thanks in advance.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Okay let's clean all of this up a bit. No guessing.

The 488 and Pista has the same offset. Also, they share the EXACT same brakes. Same disc, same pads, caliper, same master cylinder, same lines. Everything is the same. If it fits on a 488 it will fit on a Pista.

Now as far as the Speciale goes. It has 10 mm more offset than a Pista/488/F8 in the rear. A Pista has 38.5mm of offset and the Speciale has 48.5. A Speciale has about 20mm of outside clearance between tyre and arch. A 12" wide rear wheel with an offset of 35 on a Speciale will poke way out of the fender as the outer fender lip will be moved 26mm out compared to stock. If you are running 325(30R21 tyres, they will sit about 24 mm further out compared to stock. Those rear offsets are no-go on a Speciale.

IanD1, Gh21631, Netpark and 1 other person like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No you cannot. You can add spacers to Speciale wheels to fit them on a Pista. That being said, if you stick to stock size, your Pista wheels will fit find on the Speciale. The fronts have the same offsets and there's room enough in the rear to clear the 10mm the Pista wheels will sit further out compared to the Speciale wheels. But you should consider installing 10mm spacers in the front if going this route. It will not only look better, it will also combat some of the understeer you get from adding track width in the rear. If you install 10mm spacers in the front, you have widened the track 10mm both front and rear.

Netpark and 350MH83 like this.
  11. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    Excellent explanation. Really appreciate your knowledge.
    Do you think this will effect drivability and handling at all?
    Are there any spacer brands you recommend?
    And finally, will this in any way void my CPO warranty?
    Again, thank you so much!

12. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Adding spacers to such a car is never a good idea, on my opinion...

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Staying with conservative changes is not a big deal, but yes, it will affect handing. The car will feel a bit softer as you move the loading point of the suspension away from the pivot point. as you increase track. The reason why I think it's a good idea to add spacers in the front, is because the added track in the rear by itself will increase understeer, and lord knows understeer is the last thing these cars need more of. But to be fair, if you go with a conservative spacer and don't track the car, I doubt you will notice much of a difference.

As far as safety goes, I'm a huge proponent of not doing the wrong thing the wrong way. When it comes to spacers for Ferrari, there's really only one manufacture I trust, and that's Hill Engineering. Use their 11mm spacers in the front and get them with a matched set of bolts. You can get bolts in both steel and titanium, and no matter which one you choose, they are of superior quality to what's on the car. If you do the install of the spacers yourself, use wheelhangers. Those help ensure everything stays properly centered and can get properly tightened. The Hill spacers have steel inserts in the holes which both prevent them form deforming during driving, but also due to clamping forces and heat. Can spacers be run safely? Yes, but it needs to be done right. Lastly make sure your get your car checked for alignment. When you add spacers anywhere the alignment is off could be amplified by the spacer in some cases. For example if a wheel have had a bit of a scuff with a curb. It might not be visible on the wheel itself and the tyre might have taken the hit, but if a wheel is toed out say 3.5-4 degrees instead of stock alignment, the added front track can really make the car handle funny in such a situation.

Never heard of spacers messing with the warranty. Thousands of Ferraris run spacers and I've yet to hear of an issue.

Netpark likes this.
  14. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Just to be clear the 488/488 Pista/488 Pista Spider wheels will work on the 458. I have been asked this question three time this week randomly as I have a set of Pista Spyder wheels for sale. Below is what I have found.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That was also what I said. To be real clear, it is worth noting that those rear wheels are at the limit on a normal 458. With a change in offset of 20mm and wider wheels, some will experience a slight rubbing during hard compression. This is also the case when running 20mm spacers on stock 10.5 inch wide wheels. Going out 20mm but also increasing the rim to 11 inches, will.increase the chance of rubbing.

It is also worth noting that moving the tyres out this much greatly increases how much of a beating the paintwork takes. This is something many installers of aftermarket wheels "forget" to inform the client about. But a set of 488 wheels on a 458 will throw tons of road grit up the side as the fenders no longer covers as well. Just something to be aware of. Lastly the added 40mm track will add substantial understeer. To be as clear as glass. Can 488 wheels be used on an Italia or Spider? Sure. Are they a really good fit? Only for those who seek the flush look at don't worry about how well the car works as an actual performance car.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Netpark and LVP488 like this.