550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas | Page 10 | FerrariChat

550 Maranello: Exhaust ideas

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mbyormark, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    The engine stays in and they install from above, which requires both intakes to be removed, so just a little busy work and nothing major. Then the connector pipes that go from the collectors to the midpipes are installed from below. It is a 6-8 hour job. My installer told me it was really straightforward, and everything fit perfectly on the first try.

Auraraptor and F456M like this.
  2. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nifty- Thanks for the info, sounds like something to do during my next service.

3. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    You are very welcome, and yes, a service like a major would be a perfect opportunity for the install.

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel

Hi

I installed the system myself.
    I have a 1 Meter lift in my garage, you need it because you work from under the car and from above.

You have NOT to remove the throttle housings !
    I threw out the complete secondary air system, you don't need it when you take the headers without sec air fittings.
    Getting out the old manifolds is a little bit tricky, it's tight, but when you found the correct position to get them out, it's easy.
    The new cats and the headers come in from the top.

I did the cam belts and oil change at the same time, and the I found out why my new climate compressor didn't worked and fixed this.
    So I needed some afternoons, but all without stress and hurry.

Daniel

So today, I will take the 550 and the 599 out of the garage for the 1s season run.

Auraraptor and F456M like this.
  5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Daniel, any dash errors or drone?

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Daniel, very interesting that you deleted the SAI system. A lot of us will want to know if that produced any codes or Check Engine Engine lights....

Auraraptor likes this.
  7. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #232 DZ-96, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Hi John

When I ordered my 6-1 system without the sec air fittings, Fabio promised me, that there will be no faults from the ECU.
    I removes the pump, all hoses and aluminum tubes and the relay.

And so it is.
    No fault, never !
    I believe that Fabio said, that this is for the 550, not for the 575 because there are more ECU signals.

Cold start is a little bit different to original.
    It seems that the engine runs less rich with fuel, pedal response is not as direct as with original exhaust, and when you drive out of the garage backwards, you are not able to do this with only let come the clutch. The engine dies letting come the clutch with giving no throttle, with the old exhaust system it was not possible that you stop the engine with letting come the clutch, also in this cold start phase.
    I believe this is the less back pressure from the 6-1 system, or (Question) : Perhaps the sec air system stabilize the cold start running and with sec air you can't stop the engine with only let come the clutch without throttle.

Also at cold start I have minimal drone for some minutes.

Last year at season start I had a slow down light, but this was after the 5 month winter pause and more a contact problem at the cat ECUs.

Hope you understand all the details, my English is terrible.
    :)

Daniel

P.S.
    Drove the 550 yesterday, god it has so much power and this sound.
    No problems after the 5 months winter pause.

Here you can see the missing sec air fittings.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    All secondary air injection does is heat up the cats more quickly for emissions.

Your findings at low rpm are likely from it losing low RPM torque in exchange for midrange and upper RPM power gains.

9. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks Daniel, this answers the question perfectly. As you may remember, I did a survey of 550 owners a couple of years ago to determine which cars had SAI and which didn't, and to determine if SAI could be removed without throwing codes. So we now know (at least for your Western European model) that it can be. It'd be interesting to see if someone with a US car could do the same thing.

F456M likes this.
  10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Would be cool to se an «eastern-european version» of 550. Styled by der DDR. Wartburg V12 :-D

11. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    My mufflers are almost finished, Has been a pleasure working with Fabio again. Glad he and his family are healthy and he's back in business.

Attached Files:

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beautiful work by Fabio.

A_Christoofar and m5shiv like this.
  13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I recently ordered an “H“ pipe and muffler deletes from Fabio for my 456M.
    Works of art, he is such a knowledgeable and nice individual.

F456M likes this.
  14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Little follow up on my 575M exhaust (for those not following the build).

Equal length stainless downpipes from the stock manifolds merging to 2.5", to 2.75" X-pipe, then exiting 2.5"
    2.5" titanium for the remainder of the system with no crushed pipe near the transmission
    2.5" muffler section with vacuum controlled valves (opposite of factory valve function) and 2.25" bypass tubes
    Flared 2.5" tips

This dropped 109lbs compared to the stock system. Data logged a 60mph-130mph and dropped a full second. And now the exhaust makes noise, although 550 manifolds would likely sound much nicer than the 575's.

F456M likes this.
  15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Are 550 manifolds a direct swap? What’s the difference?

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    No clue if they are interchangable, but the 550 is tubular manifold and the 575 is a weird 3-1 immediately followed by a 90 degree turndown into a cat.

17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Please kindly PM me, if you're wife and or 21 y/o g.f. rejects the loud FxxxxxX exhaust and demands you re-install the draconian diluted factory system.

My wife demands the loud system. :D

F456M likes this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    550s do not have pre-cats and 575Ms do. The only parts of the exhaust systems that are directly interchangeable between the 550 and 575M are the rear mufflers. The kinked pipes in the rear of the Maranellos were fixed around September/October 2003 (AN 51797, SN 1345XX) when the factory went to straight pipes instead of the resonator, along with matching muffler cans.

19. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thank you Taz!
    PS thank you as well for all your help over the years. I just put an offer in on a 575. Fingers crossed it all works out! It appears to be an FHP car that is not in your registry. Once I confirm all the details I can let you know if you want to update your registry?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Haha!

She has an Elise with a longtube header and full over diffuser exhaust and GT3 with muffler delete. So she's all about the sound.

F456M and ralfabco like this.
  22. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    They're finished, packed and on their way with Fabio's new company logo.

Attached Files:

Ferrari55whoa, NE550, m5shiv and 2 others like this.
  23. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    someguy, NE550, DZ-96 and 4 others like this.
  24. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Sounds great. What mufflers are you using, you only mention headers cats and centre pipes.

25. Harryk

Harryk Rookie

Oct 3, 2004
    Northern Ireland
    That sounds lovely, would also be interested in what the setup is front to rear.

Sent from my GM1913 using FerrariChat.com mobile app