European 812 from now onwards have GPF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

European 812 from now onwards have GPF

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by LMH, Mar 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
  2. abdulla.alhajri

abdulla.alhajri Karting

Jul 16, 2015
    #27 abdulla.alhajri, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Today i payed a visit to a local dealer here in the UAE, saw the 812 sf and the 812 GTS i asked them to start both cars and they both sounded the same, then i asked the dealer to retrieve the Modis code for both cars and to every one suprise they both had similar code non GPF.

For reassurance I proceeded to test drive the 2020 812 SF and it sounded exactly like my 2018 model.

Waiting to test drive the GTS next week to give my final verdict.

I asked the dealer to send me the modis number as I was in a hurry but he refused to share the GTS code since it is a customer car. However i will share 2020 812 Modis code once he forwards it to me which he can since its a demo car

LMH likes this.
  3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The non-GPF and GPF versions sound very similar at cold start. It is the higher revs and with valves open that they sound different. That's my observation from looking at all the videos and comparisons. I think the GTS will still sound good, just not as good.

4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Strange that they both had no mention of GPF in the code... I'm fairly sure all GTS will have GPF fitted, no different versions for different countries...

Please do send your verdict of the GTS test drive... would love to hear your thoughts of roof down, > 6k revs: the experience and noise :)

Gianfranco341 likes this.
  5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The non-gpf 812 and the 812 GTS sound the same across the rev range. See the instagram posts in the other threads from "swizzcars." There is no difference, none.

6. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I don't begrudge others who see and hear things differently than I do. This is not a right or wrong subject matter: sound. I have sat in and stood beside an 812GTS during various engine revs, especially the upper range. It was an immediate and (very) noticeable difference "across the rev range" between my SF and the GTS.

Many love the F12 PF design over the Manzoni 812SF. I think the 812SF is a beautiful Ferrari GT car, more so than the F12 - doesn't mean I'm right. ;)

stavura, Thecadster, deltona and 5 others like this.
  7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Here is an actual flyby with a non-gpf 812 going through the rev range but without the GTS going the full rev range it's going to be hard to tell much. There is no way the GPF GTS sounds the same as the non-GPF 812. That's wishful thinking.

deltona, of2worlds, racerdj and 3 others like this.
  8. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The video above. This is why I have a 812 non GPF sitting in my garage!

deltona, Maloja, KarlA69 and 3 others like this.
  9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    of2worlds and Bundy like this.
  10. Maloja

Maloja Karting

Oct 19, 2016
    uhn2000 and Avia11 like this.
  11. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    As an updated data point to the ongoing GPF saga, I have heard from a colleague who ordered a vehicle that just entered production over the past week and does not have the GPF. Order had been placed pre-factory shutdown and only commenced after factory opened up again to lock and initiate production. This is a MY20 vehicle and of course is a USA spec model otherwise would not be possible.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. XSQF

XSQF Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    MY20 US spec cars will not have GPF as I was told by multiple dealers and checking in person. Unfortunately, I believe from MY21 onwards US spec cars will be fitted with GPF.

13. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    Regular (non-GPF) 812 have chassis code F152BCE.
    I've seen somewhere around that also exist a code F152BCG: it could be the GPF version?

I don't know what F152CB and F152DB mean. Are they internal "configuration codes" (different from chassis/homologation codes?)

of2worlds likes this.
  14. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    The first element with F should in my understanding only refer to the internal code of the vehicle model aka 812, and the only way to understand if the vehicle has the GPF is what follows that in the next series of letters/numbers which is the engine code element. After the requisite V12 designation of the engine, If GPF is listed there or EURO6D GPF then that is the giveaway.

15. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I’ve been worried when it has been clear my 812 SF will have GPF . I‘ve been in touch with Capristo even before car delivery . I have my car now with GPF , I drove it for 1000 km and honestly I don’t feel any need to take it out . Nice sound is there , I had a F12 before , shorter gears compared to F12 higher rev and higher sound . The only point is at idle after warming up but maybe we can pin the exhaust valve in open position . I don’t see any reason to have higher sound . It seems GPF is together with catalyzer , very difficult to remove it , causing warranty issues . I like it like it is

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I watched Schee’s review of the GTS and I must say I think it sounded just fine, a little deeper than the 812SF also in the video, but still very sonorous. Interestingly at one point he was driving along in the GTS with SF on road ahead and I could hear the high-pitched howl of the SF (Schmee wasn’t revving the GTS at that time).

What gave me a little pause about the GTS was them filming both cars side by side and walking around...I’m not convinced the GTS looks better than the 812, in fact perhaps the reverse. Will have to wait to see it in person. I have learned that when you know it’s right you know it within a second and there remains no need for “convincing” oneself of a purchase (based upon looks alone, other factors may require more thought of course).

17. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    I agree, in Shmee review it sounds just great

18. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I had my 812 valves altered to stay open 100% of the time and really like it a lot and feel it enhances the already awesome sound! If I want lower sound, I just shift to the next gear. While I have driven the 812 and F-8, it has become clear that the GFP has affected the turbo engines much more than the NA.

of2worlds, Thecadster and italiafan like this.
  19. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I totally agree but for me getting rid of the air vents on the side window and a more pronounced spoiler on the 812 GTS makes it looks awesome, a lot more like the side profile of the F12 than the 812, which I prefer. I do really like the buttresses as well, I think Ferrari has done an awesome job with the car. The only question in my mind is the roof seams, I got a dark color to obviate that but nothing will beat seeing it in person.

of2worlds and italiafan like this.
  20. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #46 Bundy, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    I thought the GTS’s tonal quality was nice but the volume seems significantly quieter than my 2019 SF (which admittedly has the exhaust valves pinned open). I also prefer the rear half aesthetics of the SF to the GTS, and agree that you know immediately or not if you love a design.

Looks are obviously so subjective: I love the FF’s design but not the GTS. Many enthusiasts feel the opposite. Nonetheless, I wish Ferrari had been able to design something more akin to the 599 SA Aperta (or even the recent Porsche Speedster) for the 812.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I agree, the GTS doesn't sound bad based on the video (and others I've seen). However, it is clear that the GPF makes it a little more muffled. Less raspy and raw sounding.

To bring it closer to the 812 SF, I don't want to go down the road of removing the GPF, at least not until a reliable, proven solution is available. My question is this: based on your knowledge of what an aftermarket exhaust from a high quality manufacturer can achieve, do you think it will help to improve the GTS? More raspy and raw? I'm just not sure if exhaust mods (rear boxes and x pipe) can 'fix' a muffled sound, since nothing is being done to directly address the thing that is muffling the sound (the GPF). Any thoughts?

of2worlds, italiafan and Bundy like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Having watched the video of the F8 Tributo Novitec I can say I am very encouraged that Novitec will be able to improve the sound of a GTS to most peoples’ satisfaction.

stavura, KarlA69, Avia11 and 2 others like this.
  23. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    Finally got deliver of my GPF 812. Did 300kms today, and although I did not have with me another non-GPF one, it sounds good.

I get the feeling a bit quieter than the non-GPF but still fantastic soundtrack. Different from my Speciale though as per the lack of sound deadening of the Speciale.

Have any of you tried to fit a valve controller on a GPF one?. As I heard with the F8 you can not fit a valve controller
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Cnoordz

Cnoordz Karting

Jun 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    C
    Congrats on your new car.
    Valve controller is not a problem, I had the novitec one installed on my gpf one even before taking delivery.

LMH likes this.