Crankshaft 512 M and 512 tr | FerrariChat

Crankshaft 512 M and 512 tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timeckart, May 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dylan Seals likes this.
  3. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    OK Thanks. So for tuning is better a 512tr crankshaft

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The 512M crank has additional holes between the flywheel bolt holes.

5. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    My understanding and correct me if I am wrong is that they are both billet cranks and really no difference to the eye. One is not superior to the other.
    The crank itself should have exactly the same Journal and main sizes as any tighter clearances side to side on the rod is made up by the rod itself unless
    you are saying the side to side width is specific to the M only which sounds a little odd.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Could not the original crank be re- balanced for lighter con rods?

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Big difference between the two. When you remove 19lbs of rotating and reciprocating mass with the lighter crank and rods it lets the engine accelerate more quickly. On the 360 we reduce that mass by 9lbs when I run a 360 crank in a 308 engine with Ti rods. A 512M crank will fit a boxer engine too if you shorten the snout of the crank. That or make a stepped spacer for the crank bolt.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its not a matter of balance. The cranks are balanced without rod weight factored in just like a flat plane V8 crank - no bob weights during balancing. Its just a matter of having too much unnecessary counterweight spinning around for the rod weight.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    your new project ;)

Newman likes this.
  10. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    has nobody pictures from 512tr crankshaft to seethe difference. I cannot open my motor for pictures

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Looks the same as any other testarossa crank you can find pics of on line. The M has the additional holes the Testarossa does not.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  13. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    OK I have a 512tr crankshaft.

For 2 years I have been thinking about converting to a turbo, but even with VTG turbochargers a Turbo 512 tr loses power below and you drink too much petrol at the top. I also need transmission oil cooling and a reinforced clutch.
    The goal is 8500 rpm and a turbo engine cannot withstand such speeds. Therefore, it would have to be translated longer, which is negative.

A 512 tr crankshaft could also lose weight with other connecting rods and pistons:

The 512tr crankshaft looks more stable and the removal on the outside of the counterweight is more effective than in the middle right?

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/Ferrari/512-TR/002-Crankshaft-Connecting-Rods-And-Pistons

Only where can I get affordable titanium connecting rods and aluminum pistons 1:11?
    How much easier are they? Carobu.com is too expensive.
    Where I can buy?

Does an aluminum flywheel or a lightened flywheel make sense?

Why do I need a different control unit? Motec? Mine was first loaded with other software by Ferrari and then adapted to the dynamometer in Germany?

Does a different camshaft like Carobu make sense and where can I get it?

My engine is said to have got different timing from Ferrari. How can I determine that?

Are there larger throttle bodies? Or does only a single throttle valve system like Carobu make sense?

I installed the 512 tr engine in the F355 with BMC air filters. I hope for a ram charge effect. Only there is an increase on the side of the suction, see picture. Does that slow down or accelerate it?

The hoses up to the air filters are also unsuitable. Which are really good, need one with a 90 ° angle?

sorry in German but you can still see it.

My Maranello 550 really has the perfect intake manifold system with a ram effect.

I also have the problem, see picture; that my exhaust goes 2x50mm in 50mm and then in a Tubistyle exhaust 60mm. What would be perfect?

Does an X-pipe make sense?

I hope for educational answers. Sorry for Google translate.
    Thanks Tim

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Go turbo. What you are saying in the first paragraph does not make sense. You can get a tad over 1000hp with even mid 1980's
    technology.

turbo-joe likes this.
  15. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    what use is 1000PS on paper if you can't use it on the racetrack and in everyday life because the performance comes too suddenly and the engine does not last long? A turbo engine has to be translated longer because it cannot turn as high as a naturally aspirated engine.

16. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    No more pity answers