Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Today - There's Something Missing

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Jul 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    One must hope the fanatical engineers at FERRARI can do for digital cars what sound engineers did for digital music- they made the digital music much less artificial and very close to analog-but it took 20 years to get there. Hopefully FERRARI can do that now and not after I’m gone!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    New- I attribute this degeneration of the driving experience to the parallel trends in electronic gizmo’s which make f1 more competitive per f1 class rules.

I personally don’t believe the modern f1 experience translates well to the street of hpde enthusiast.

f should also make a drivers car for the old school people. Light weight gated all analog

3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The topic of sound always intrigued me. I'm not an engine or exhaust expert, so that should be stated up front. But, I wonder how much Ferrari (and exotic/sports car manufacturers) ever really cared about sound, or are they now just reacting to the customers demands for what they feel a Ferrari should sound like? It seems like the association we have with sound goes back to the natural sounds carbureted engines with very simple exhausts produced. With the evolution of fuel injected engines, there was a time when sound didn't seem all that important to Ferrari until customers began clamoring for it. For example, my 328 (which I love) really doesn't sound all that great. I think companies like Tubi and others have had a great influence on Ferrari's focus on sound. Now, how much of what we hear in the modern cars is manufactured? I honestly don't know. Maybe those that are very informed on this topic can chime in.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    My turbo c63s had computer controlled pops and bangs..,

EnzoItaly and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Interesting question. I can only say that it matters to me, a LOT :)

6. Mbelliss12

Mbelliss12 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mark Bellissimo
    Simple, yet great question.

I still enjoy the cars, love, love mine, but the brand is too ubiquitous today. Too many new models tripping over themselves in the last 18 months or so, status symbols for the flashy wealthy versus for passionate, yet well-healed drivers of the past. Dunno, suppose that’s progress in many ways—the irony being today’s are the best built, best performing ever, yet much like BMW on another scale, it does seem the stretch for almighty volume and extracting the very most revenue just because it can has worn away some of the luster for me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Mark— what modern marque builds exciting exclusive drivers cars any more?

lotus?
    Caterham?

Jas likes this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would say Pagani. I love everything about what they do, except their exterior designs are hideous. The interiors are amazing works of art, however. That said, one can’t expect Ferrari as a whole to operate that way anymore, but, they still have elements within the company that still cater to the very exclusive. I may not be one of them, but I still think it’s cool that they do.

NuorderSG and EnzoItaly like this.
  9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I was stressing the drivers car aspect—- what is the best modern version:::

sub 3000lbs
    Man trans option
    Ability to turn off nannies

10. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Yes, I'd have picked Lotus. (Caterham is a track car really.)

Or McLaren if you want a supercar version of a Lotus, but no manual transmission.

11. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Ferrari's now are amazing looking, sure. But I still gravitate towards the classics and 80s icons. I just hit outside of 30 this year myself.

I agree the real Ferrari, its very soul was lost right after the F430 Scuderia, right at the 458. That was the last model that just seethed with originality and merit. The fact Schumacher was apart of it, the history and nostalgia.
    Now everything is pumped out and it definitely feels less special. I see them in EVERY city I travel to and I travel a lot. They are all over the Middle East, Europe etc.

My dream car would still be a Lusso (classic) or the F40. The new cars are amazing yes, not to take away from them, but they resemble so many other makes. My daughter always thinks the new Vettes are Ferraris. This kind of mix up would never happen 30 years ago.

day355 and pilotoCS like this.
  12. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Lotus Evora

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

13. 14RE458

14RE458 Rookie

Dec 24, 2019
    Well said my friend. Part of the formula for a classic is to intentionally not change drastically. That is how you maintain an iconic brand by being very recognizable. It’s similar to a Rolex. When you see it, you know it whether you like it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Nospinzone likes this.
  14. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    911, 911, 911

My 2018 GT3 has a stick, NA, and 500 HP and a 9,000 RPM red line.

I also love my 458 and F12 which still have the beautiful and unique engine sound.

Ferraris are owned by non enthusiasts because they make reliable high quality luxury products. Success breeds success.

If the cars were unreliable like they used to be- only enthusiasts would buy them. Think about it.

15. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    The manual, naturally aspirated, 9k RPM 2018 GT3 is such a great driver's car. Not only wicked fast, but also wicked engaging. The engaging/challenging part seems missing from many high end sports cars these days.

I would submit that another reason modern Ferraris are owned by non-enthusiasts is b/c in many ways they have become easy to drive, fast luxury cars.

16. OrmondStar

OrmondStar Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2019
    Lake Mary, FL
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I’m also a huge lambo fan, but I feel their modern offering leaves me cold too.

that’s why there is, and always will be, a Diablo and a 360 in my garage, both with three pedals and a computer from the 90’s.

17. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

What's missing is a hybrid power train that is much less than LF prices.

This said, the brand is getting crowded with too many offerings and their dealer shop service beginning to deteriorate. I haven't had much luck with independents in my area.

One of their key challenges is getting competent techs trained. In my area, most of the candidates for that labor force tend to be more on the dimwitted side (obviously those aren't hired). So the shops resort to bringing in people from Italy on work visas...not the easiest or most economical way to staff up a service dept.

Similar happened to Porsche for a while, but they were able to scale up their shop services to become quite effective.

I just don't see this happening with the slow and entitled attitude of the few F dealers I've worked with. - not to mention the abysmal supply chain that Ferrari has in NA.

18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "What's missing is a hybrid power train that is much less than LF prices." - SF90

19. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

He, he good one....I should have been more clear: in the realm of the middle market pricing... abt $350k that would be more within my budget ;-) I can wish right?

20. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Or you could just go to your dealer and lay a deposit on LB

NuorderSG likes this.
  21. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    I wanted to get a Spyker C8 for its raw sports-car feel and its gorgeous interior. But the secondary market prices are through the roof, so I bought a 2015 Cali T. I love it. The lack of a third pedal is probably best for my aging knees.

albkid and Texas Forever like this.
  22. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A neighbor of mine has a Spyker. It certainly is distinctive looking. There is always a crowd around it at a show or cars & coffee.

I hadn't thought about its value, but I'd bet it is probably more than he paid for it. I think he bought it around 2013 or so.

23. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I'll stick with a 997.1 S/4S, 6 speed, with PCCB....minimal nanny stuff...enough in there to keep weekend hacks safe but a demon on the Twisties and still connected to the road...but still allows drivers to kill themselves if they get too comfy.

On the twisties, there isn't much of a speed difference around the turns between various performance cars. It's the brakes and acceleration that get you to that turn. While Porsche can't win in the acceleration, it's PCCBs are unbeatable. My 458 cornering sucks compared to the 997.1 I had.... and my current 991 is still better on tight mountain roads than my 458. ...but if course, it's just me

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I disagree that Ferraris are common. I live in a town of 250K, and there are no more Ferraris around here than there were 10,20,30 years ago. In fact maybe less.

25. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

High quality?
    I’d beg to differ - I love my FF and my old testarossa but whilst they are luxurious their build quality is just subpar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.