458 - Prestone Synthetic DOT4 Brake Fluid | FerrariChat

458 Prestone Synthetic DOT4 Brake Fluid

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, May 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all; It's time for me to flush the brake system in my 2011 458. I don't track the car and I would like to see if anyone has used the Prestone fluid or if anyone knows of any problems using it in a 458? Prestone says the minimum dry boiling point is 510 F and 311 F wet. Thanks.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hard to find specs on viscosity corrosion etc in this fluid
    ..looked couldn't find it

For the incremental cost increase buy ate 200 .. seems to be the great go to non track based lower cost fluid

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok, thanks. I rethinking the Prestone; I will go with ATE 200 or Motul 600. Thanks.

4. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Castrol srf the best

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    For just street use...I would do Motul RBF600 or 660. No need to waste money on Castrol SRF for the street or just a few track events...plus I do not like the spongy feeling of SRF, personal taste. My local Ferrari dealer Tampa Ferrari is using all Pakelo fluids for service though but I can not find much info about them.

6. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Its not the srf that gives a spongy feel it is down to bleeding the system.

7. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Thanks everyone; I appreciate the feedback. I already purchased the Motul 600. I'll keep the srf in mind for next time. Hope to have the brakes flushed by the end of the week.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    What is the system capacity? I was going to change mine. I use a vacuum bleeder but when done often it is difficult to tell when the old stops and the new starts coming out. I want to have enough on hand, but don't want to waste a lot of the new stuff.

9. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    According to the 2011 Italia service manual, the capacity is 1.58qts. I'm going to use a Motive pressure bleeder.

Ianjoub likes this.
  10. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Thanks!

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Not what I have found. I posted the SRF feeling spongy (I am not alone in this feeling either) is that I tried it for a couple years in a GT3 and on the track it felt more spongy than the Motul I was using.

I was doing 15-20 events a year, full flush and bleeding the SRF every couple events. I started out bleeding SRF before each event because the spongy feeling had me thinning there is air in the line. Definitely zero bubbles in the fluid. I use to use a fluid called Prospeed 683...worked great but became hard to get so I moved to Endless and it worked great but then hard to get. Motul is everywhere and I have been using it consistently for the last 4 years with no issues. The Prospeed, Endless and Motul had a harder brake pedal feel where the SRF had a spongy feel. So that is what I posted what I posted.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    For a full sold fluid flush you will need 2 bottles of Motul. You can probably flush with 1 bottle which is about 1qt but I use more to make sure everything is flushed clean. Only thing you can't flush unless you have a tool to hook up to the car is the ABS valves.

I use a Motive pressure bleeder but only use it for the air pressure. This keeps my Motive bleeder clean and new. You can use compressed air too if you have a air compressor to adjust to around 15ft.lbs of pressure. The Motive for me is just easier. Also this way I can see the brake fluid go down in the fluid reservoir and stop below it gets to low to put air into the system and fill it up. Usually I do 1 reservoir per caliper and that is almost 2 bottles. Hope I am explaining this clearly!...LOL

Start with rear passenger side caliper...(outside bleeder then inside bleeder), then rear driver side then front passenger side then front driver side...so you are doing the further away from the brake booster/master cylinder. Bleeder screw torque for Brembo calibers is 120 in plus- 10 ft lbs....be sure to blow out any residual brake fluid from the bleeders...and or spray off with non-choleric brake cleaner.

13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Thanks.

I owned/operated an independent auto repair shop for 10 years, so have flushed hundreds of brake systems. I use a mity vac. I have a bottle that sits on the reservoir and feeds in fluid as needed, so no going dry and sucking in air. With the mity vac, I suck out the reservoir to start, then refill. After that, put it on a bleeder nipple, pump it for vacuum, then crack the bleeder. When fresh fluid comes through (the clear vacuum line), close the bleeder and move on to the next wheel. It takes less than 5 minutes to do a whole system flush, once it is on the lift at any rate.

mdrums likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I did not know you have a repair shop with the question you were asking. That is what I tried to explain...it's all good. However your method works just fine...my method for at home works too and I do not let the reservoir go dry...never have.....we live relatively close so I hope to see you out sometime!

Ianjoub likes this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    A good practice of you don't have a tool .. go to a parking lot that has leaves or sand and hard brake so it activates abs on each wheel .. this will have clean fluid get into abs module

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Ian, you must be close to the Ozello trail? I am about 35-40 min south...I was thinking of taking a ride up there one day during the week, thinking less traffic. It has been years since I drove it and it was in a Jeep. LOL.

17. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I actually retired a few years ago, at 47!

I retained the shop with lifts and tools for an office location for another venture. I ma currently building a new 36' x 84' shop at my home. When done, maybe get together for gearhead nights occasionally.

mdrums likes this.
  18. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Yes, I live one traffic light south of there. Ft. Island trail is fun as well ( a couple of liights north of Ozello), though much faster sweepers.

mdrums likes this.
  19. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi flash32, to make sure I understand using this method to flush the abs module, the old fluid leaving the abs module will contaminate the clean fluid in the system correct? Thanks.

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Technically and scientifically the answer is yes but it's it's such a small amount and I don't think it's anything to be worried about it's more important to get fresh fluid within the ABS module itself

21. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok. thanks.