Daytona dash toggle switches: Flip up, or flip down? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona dash toggle switches: Flip up, or flip down?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gcalex, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #26 TTR, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    And then there’s cars/dashes/switches with OEM label tags designed to be above the switches. :eek: :rolleyes:

Oh, and also at least 3 different nighttime illumination variations for heater controls...

2. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    That's why I think down is on and up is off. Like with the toggle switches in the 330 GT 2+2 and 275 GTB.

3. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    See Posts 13, 15, 16.

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I remember once asking my mechanic Patrick which release lever was for the fuel and which was for the trunk on my Daytona. His answer was it depended on which was Luigi built it that day.

On a related note to the fan comment, when I first got my car it had about 20,000 miles on it and I bought it from the original owner. I did a mechanical refresh when I bought it, (Major+carbs, and some suspension stuff). First warm day I noticed it was running on the warm side. I drove straight to the shop. It turns out that the fans in the front grill were turning the wrong way and they were blowing out. They tried switching the wires and it had no effect. So they took them out to rebuild them. (I think there were two, this was 25 years ago.) Anyway, Patrick was certain that these were original and showed no signs of ever being removed. It was a head scratcher.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I've noted same discrepancy between several examples over the years, including unrestored ("virgin" ?) cars and while switching them one way or another during restoration will require fair amount effort and planning, I could easily see related components getting accidentally(?) mixed up during something like a Spider-conversion.

See post #4.
    Been there, done (& solved) that issue on couple of cars in which said blower assemblies appeared having not been messed with since original installation, although the my latest encounter was just a few years ago, so 40+ years had passed since the day it was done.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Since I’m currently working on three different cars and their carburetors, I realized yet another operational direction inconsistency of various cabin/console/dash levers/switches in these cars.

It seems there are/were at least two somewhat contradictory modus operandi used on cold start choke controls.
    Some pull on/push off, some push on/pull off. Makes sense, right ? :rolleyes:

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    typical italian technic ;)

TTR likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    P.S. Haven’t had a chance to see what, if any, operating instructions are provided in Owners Manuals, but wouldn’t be surprised if they somehow differ from both. ;)