Testarossa or Murcielago??? Testarossa Questions. | FerrariChat

Testarossa or Murcielago??? Testarossa Questions.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari FXX, Jun 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    First off guys hello! I've been a long time member of Ferrari chat. Nobody really special or super loaded. I already own 2 Ferraris. an 07 F430 spider and a 13 458 coupe. Love both of my cars except for the 430 belts ugh. The 458 you can tell is a new breed of Ferrari over the 430. All that being said, Ferrari himself said, the V6s and V8s were NOT real Ferraris.

My first choice I want a Ferrari V12. The F12 is out of the budget. I'm not a fan of the 599's styling. I like the 575, but the Testarossa is my dream Ferrari. It's the car that got me to fall in love with the brand. I was the kid with the Testarossa posters and a hard core Miami Vice fan in the 80s.

Problem, I read all these posts about all these problems with Testarossas and just stuff over the years. I have about 125k in cash & I'm willing to finance up to 140-150. But guys I don't want to be spending thousands to keep a car running. Should I get a Testarossa, low mileage or should I go with a Mercialgo. Now forgive me, I'm not really a Lamborghini fan. They have always looked very silly to me. The Diablos and Countach look like something out of a really bad cheap B movie. The Aventador looks too much like something Batman fights crime in. The Murcielago though has smooth lines and it doesn't look overly silly. Other than the clutch on the Murci I haven't heard of any major issues. I'm a loyal hard core Ferrari guy but I want a V12.

The Testarossa will pretty much be driven a few times every 3 months. Maybe 500-700 miles a year. Mostly fall and spring. I'm really confused.

2. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If you are not a Lambo fan you have already answered that question.

I want a Ferrari V12 also and am having the same debates in my head as you, so I will watch this thread. F12 is out of budget, I like the 599 but it seems to be a "between" car, some analog and some digital, not sure I want that. Been thinking about the TR myself, plus it is a manual and the others are two are not.

3. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There’s nothing to be confused or anxious about. Take a deep breath, I have been in your shoes. In fact I sat on the sidelines for at least 5 or 6 years debating this same issue. The conclusion I came to was I should have bought sooner. Here is the answer, if you do your due diligence and get the best car you can these cars are very very good cars. Don’t go buy a car that someone has neglected or not tried to care of it. Get a ppi from a good Ferrari technician to tell you what the condition of the car is. If you get a good car the maintenance is not that bad. I am doing the major on my car now and the mechanic says this car is in perfect condition. It has been well maintained. I bought it from an fchat member who knew how to take care of his car. If you aren’t going to drive the car much then you can probably push the major service out to 6-7 years. All you will need to do is fluid changes and just regular maintenance stuff that might come up. I’ve owned my car for a little more than a year and have had 0 issues. Love this car and probably could not live without it. That’s your answer. If you buy a dog then you won’t be happy but that can be said of any car. For the amount of money you have to spend you will have no problem getting a top notch car. You have no worries.

sherrillt, EZORED and Ferrari FXX like this.
  4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Testarossa is about 100k if you negotiate properly, say you need 20k to make it perfect if it’s due for maintenance it will not cost u more than 1/2k a year for annuals and other stuff.
    Merci is nice but only to me in manual and it’s not legendary like the TR...
    About the bad stuff on the tr...Rmbr it’s a lot of social medial and at home mechanics on here some stuff might be blown out of proportion a little bit even if all true and justified!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Sandberg and Zeff like this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The lambo will likely not be cheaper on either maintenance or purchase.

The Testarossa is a very solid car overall, the common ‘issues’ are:
    - slow windows - a no cost diy
    - AC blower (power transistor) - a minimal cost diy
    - fuse panel overheating - a couple of thousand diy
    - differential cracking - a 5 or 6 k pro job if it is proactive

The engine out service is a downside.... figure 10k every 5 yrs

Budget that in and you’ll be very happy with a Testarossa. In reality, that is a VERY small list. Many folks here are diy types so the dialog obviously leans towards ‘issues’. It is an upside factor - In general, these cars are very easy to work on. No overly complex computers.

I’d love to see an honest, similar list for the lambo.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t know/never worked until now at a murcielago so I cannot tell the pros and negs of each car
    but as vincenzo has written I only can agree to his statement
    if you can do some work by yourself ( you not have to be as good as jamie with his diff just now ) then you can not make a mistake buying a testarossa. try to find the first version with only 1 mirror ( I would do so ), even the last version ( 512M ) is much better and more powerfull

c4b4the04 likes this.
  7. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    The overall cost of running a Testarossa is nothing like your 430 or 458. I’ve had a Testarossa for 6 years now. Had a 430 for 3 years during the same time and replaced the 430 with a 488. My Testarossa has records from day 1. So my car was not neglected. The running cost of my Testarossa has been considerably higher than the 430. Not even in the same ball park. (488 has warranty and maintenance so it has been zero so far). Not saying they are bad cars. Just like natkingcole said, things get blown out of proportion online. Testarossas are great cars but at the end of the day, they are old. They are between 25 to 35 years old. They will need lots of attention to stay in good running condition. And that will cost more money than your 430 or 458. If you understand that and come to terms with it, you will have a different outlook on all “the problems” you read about. Like yourself, I grew up with the poster of the Testarossa on my wall and watched Miami Vice and I always knew I will get a Testarossa. It was never a matter of if. It was always when. I don’t drive mine that often, but every time I do it’s extremely joyful.
    My best advice is to find a car which has been very well taking care of and pay the premium for it. It will keep your total ownership cost lower...
    Good luck if you decide to go the Testarossa route.

8. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Owning all 3 Lambo's ( Countach, Diablo, Murcielago) and a Testarossa inmo the Lambos are all far better cars and far more exciting. I still love my Testarossa though.

ralfabco likes this.
  9. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I have my Testarossa for 30 nears now.
    No differential cracking or other dramatic events.
    I drive it every now and then and I do not push it to the max.
    Belt change and something every 6 years around 3-4 k.
    The fuse box tends to corrosion. Some work here recommended.
    It is an old car but it is a classic and gives you the very genuine Ferrari feeling.
    You will enjoy it for years. Do not try to buy cheap.
    The only Lamborghini I would buy is a Miura, but out of reach.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

30 years! Awesome!!

11. 5859

5859 Rookie

Apr 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Hess
    Look into a 93-94 512TR, same classic looks but a little more less 80s and more 90s interior which is more comparable to a Murci. The AC works too. Better looking wheels IMO. A bit more HP and better handling because of the center of gravity. Im no expert tho, I just recently started my own search and research but from what Ive seen so far you can find a decent 512TR for $140-150 and many less made which make it a bit more rare along the lines of the Murcis. Good luck

sherrillt, Marni, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Agree, very confused.....and bad taste in movies...LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari FXX likes this.
  13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well the biggest design issues on the Murcielago is the E-Gear (OP isn't getting a MT on his budget) and the super cheesy top if a Roadster.

Mechanically, they are pretty good IF you buy one without a bunch of deferred maintenance....otherwise the needs stack up

A clutch replacement is an $8k job, brakes (including rotors) can be a $4-5k cost, valve adjustments every 15k miles.....

I don't think you buy a V12 Lamborghini using maintenance as a point of comparison......I spend $5-6k a year on my Diablo, but yet wouldn't trade it for anything Ferrari made in the period short of an F50.

14. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Curious as to what you are spending 5-6k a year on maintaining a Diablo?

15. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I'm not afraid of the older Ferraris. But as others have said, do your due diligence and prepare an annual service budget. For example, I put approx. 2500 km on my TR and the clutch went. Not due to me, but over 30 years, you can't verify how the car was driven in the past. Would have been nice to have had the clutch examined when the engine-out service was done, but that was a couple of years prior to my purchase. So, I plan for a $3500 to $5000 USD service per year. The reason is that if you don't spend that amount every year, then when the 5-year (30,000 km) service comes up, the money is theoretically in place.

My parallel is my 1986 328 GTS. Gone over from bumper to bumper with brakes, clutch, suspension bushings done, etc. Very solid car and drives like new.

With my passion for the older, old-school Ferraris, obviously I would go for the TR. Just make sure that the servicing is up-to-date and reputable. Even on my car, the use of muffler cement and silicone sealant was done for a quick fix (I guess rather than wait for parts?) from a recognixed independent. I have fixed those issues myself.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not a problem AL, I’m pretty transparent, and I’m sure the TR guys face many of the same issues. Before I start, I will admit to doing things in a proactive manner sometimes, because I absolutely love this car. A late Diablo for me is the perfect mix of classic feel and modern performance. Although now that it shares a garage with a Ford GT, I need to cut back on some of the extras.

Replaced all bushings
    Replaced the head gasket which blew out - required an engine out
    Replaced door struts with Murcielago ones
    Replaced clutch master cylinder
    Replaced clutch slave cylinder
    Replaced clutch rod
    Re-sealed the engine, replaced all rubberized components
    Replacing the alternator (now)
    Replaced battery twice (including now when the alternator took it out)
    Added a rear backup camera
    Spent money on the AC, still sucks though
    Bought 2 extra sets of keys and immobilizers
    Installed cat bypass
    Replaced all ducting
    Replaced plugs and wires
    Yearly fluid changes
    Replaced one lift shock

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Further to this point, when I was looking back in 2012-14, most of the Diablos on market were very poorly maintained. Mine was a solid 1 owner 9k mile car that was well maintained, with all service records. Now that the values are at the point where owners can at least break even by making their cars better, I see in general the condition of Diablo Roadsters on the market is better. I think in time, the TR market may benefit from this as well.

As a caretaker for this car, I have a duty to keep it in good condition and improve it when possible, as befitting a true E ticket 208 mph ride.

18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #18 ralfabco, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    I drove a manual Murcielago for hours and enjoyed driving the car. The Murcielago shifts much better than the typical Diablo. I do not yet have any experience driving the 6.0. A Testarossa is not cheap to maintain with the cambelt service.

I never had to change a clutch with any Lamborghini - or 'any' car for that matter. Drive your exotic around town like it is a truck and you can protect the clutch. If you need the acceleration rush from a standstill go ahead and buy an organ-donor bike.

turbo-joe and EZORED like this.
  19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have had my TR for 12 years, my Countach for 14. Murcielago build quality is better than either, to be expected from a far newer, higher performance design. A 1980 Countach or a 1991 TR are both quick enough and good handling enough to be entertaining in a vintage car way, but neither are that fast. A Murcielago is seriously fast by any standard, with better comfort as well. Were someone to want to trade a Murcielago for my TR (I would not sell my Countach) I would consider it (but only if it was a manual).

Service on the TR is not actually that bad (I do my own); if you keep it up it is quite reliable. Service on the Lamborghini with e gear is less practical if you want to try it yourself.

Does shifting your own gears tip the balance for you? It would for me (but that’s me).

Natkingcolebasket69 and EZORED like this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I posted the list you requested and you haven't commented....

21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    My only Diablo service was to replace a device inside the distributor that disintegrated. O'Reilly had the part for about $35.00 Mike D will make a house call upon request. Pretty sure he banged his young GF inside the car when he went for a drive with her :D. No worries I no longer own the car and he saved me a lot of money. I gave him $400.00 to fix it. Thanks Mike.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t think so. not much space in this car ;)

23. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    out of all the cars i own, the 512tr is my favorite.
    i have driven it across 6 different countries for the last 20 years and 40k km.
    if you live near houston i will be happy to give you a drive.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

Says a lot given your collection!!

25. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey, sorry forgot to reply. Looking at your list its certainly long. A few of the items arent maintenance items, but personal choice (backup camera, bypass pipes extra keys etc). Ive had nowhere near the maintenance issues you have required with any of the 3 Diablo's Ive owned.

My first 92 had the motor gone through and was rock solid during my ownership. My first 98 Diablo Sv had an issue with a sticky thermostat when it arrived. Owned this car for 7 years, and ran Nitrous on it. Approx 5 years into ownership it developed a valve cover leak. After running nitrous for so long we pulled the motor to inspect. Everything was inline, even the clutch was still good. My current SV Ive owned almost 10 years. When I first got it the alternator broke ( looked to be original) . Few years later the slave cylinder was replaced. Last year had the front shocks rebuilt. Fluid changes, tire changes etc throughout the years. I do need to address the slow moving windows. Drives me nuts.