2016 California T | FerrariChat

2016 California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by bookem, Jun 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bookem

bookem Rookie

Nov 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    daniel J rourke
    Traded in a restored '67 e-type jaguar with a N.Y. collector car dealer for a 2016 Cali T and the windscreen was missing ( are these useful? or available ) and after several short drives listening to the engine I tried to turn the radio/infotainment system on and there is no response to trying to turn on or from touchscreen? , any tips for troubleshooting the radio / Nav/ infotainment system that does not turn on ? Thanks bookem

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^I have seen several windscreens for sale on F-chat. That might be the first place I would look.
    There have been several threads on this topic, not sure if they have similar root cause.

I find that using a site-specific Google search works better than the built-in F-chat search.

Enter this in Google, and there seem to be some promising hits near the top...
    site:ferrarichat.com california t radio trouble

Best of luck, and congrats on the new T....T

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I do not have the windscreen. I do not like how it makes the car look and functionality of it seems minimal, at best.

As for the radio. It may seem stupid to ask but did you hold the power button down? My Mercedes with a "tap" of the power button will turn on, but the Ferrari you have to actually push it in and hold it to turn it on and off.

4. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    I also don’t use the windscreen because it does not look good on the car. With respect to the nav system, I had a similar issue with my nav. Holding the power button down for 20 seconds did not reset the unit. I had to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect the battery. If you do this you need to follow the battery reconnect procedure in the owners manual to allow the windows and electronics to reset. This fixed my nav unit and it started working properly again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. James cln

James cln Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2015
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    James cline
    Naw , you don’t want windscreen- I have never used mine - see no benefit. Try first just resetting the pos radio by holding power button in for about 30 sec. if that doesn’t work do the battery reset . :))

6. JMC126

JMC126 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Santa Cruz
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Agree with windscreen - never even used mine for my 2016T. As for the infotainment - mine did the same weird things, turned out that the battery was getting low even though the battery level was the same on the gauge. Electronics in these cars are funny. Left it on the trickle charge for 24 hours and then everything went back to normal.

whatheheck and Andrew Pour like this.
  7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    what is windscreen?

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  9. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just to stir the pot- I find it very easy to use, always in top up or down. Very effective at reducing that effect of floating,raising your wife/girlfriends hair. Yours too if you still have any! It keeps heated or cool air around you in the temperature extremes and higher speeds! It in no way looks bad, this may be color dependent? Also leave it in our daily Mercedes convertible for the same reasons. Comes out in less than one minute (top down) when kids ride along.

Buckwest and tomc like this.
  10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I agree with the above ... I leave mine in the car, top up or top down, I do find it effective, particularly at highway speeds with the other windows up. But if you're a windows down kind of owner, then it probably does not add a whole lot.

They typically sell for $350 or so "used" but are often essentially brand new in the carrying case. They came with the car, but are often forgotten/lost/kept when the car changed hands. It's the same deflector for the California and California T.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I just got my 2016 Cali T last week. Bought it CPO from a dealer.
    I noticed the wind deflector is missing on mine too so I said oh well, I wont use it anyway so perhaps I will just let it go & just buy myself one and not bother the dealer.

I saw that they retail for $999.00. Yikes!
    I contacted the dealer & sent me a brand new one.

I used it last week and with windows up it does reduce the wind noise and wind circling inside the car.
    My wife likes it as it doesnt give her a bad hair day :)
    Im not a fan so I removed it.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  12. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Woah!!!! :eek:

Way to put your foot down!!!!

Color me impressed!!! :D

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Keeping a strong pimp hand!!

Everyone else is getting a Cali. You're up next @BLAMPEE.
    T

BLAMPEE likes this.
  14. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    One thing I noticed right away is I feel a lot more air movement in the California than I did in my Porsche with the top down. I'm a top down driver 95% of the time. I put the wind deflector in the California last night, so I'll be curious to see if I notice any difference.

John

whatheheck likes this.
  15. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I don't know much about the porsche but I like that 992 convertible has a button to activate/deactivate the wind deflector without needing to carry it around.

On cali T, I noticed I feel the need of it after 250-260kmh (160mph), so I never use it. However, if it had been a button, I'd definitely use also on lower speeds.

16. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    I agree with Justicepool. In Fla. I drive 95% with the top down. Have an MB SL now and it is really nice to push a button and the windscreen deploys. Works to keep the cabin a bit less buffeting. Makes for top down driving almost a full year event. Even with the A/C on.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My wife had a deflector on her SLK. Snapped into place in 5 seconds. Much better design and execution than the Cali...T

18. Justicepool

Justicepool Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2019
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John L.
    I do the same. On hot days I just put the A/C on full blast and aim the vents toward my lower body. It helps and I keep the top down.....vroom vroom.

SLViper1 and Florida Joe like this.
  19. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I just got a new wind deflector on Ebay for $400. I'll add my 2 cents after I try it. I had one for my Porsche 997 and it made a huge difference.

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yeah, I think he is going to be using that strong hand a lot for awhile.

tomc likes this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I honor special requests so when she asks me so nicely to install it - I politely oblige.

Some people sometimes forget that Family is always more important than material things.

I see posts here once in a while saying there is no need for a cup holder in a Ferrari. Well, I like cup holders as I get thirsty during long drives.
    Someone posted no one ever drinks or eats in his Ferrari.

My opinion - as much as I love my car, it's still only a car. Family is way more important.
    Your Ferrari cant take you to your doctors appointment or care for you when you're sick, or take care of you when you get old & you can no longer wipe your own behind.

My wife, my son, grandson, granddaughter, brother, best friend can eat & drink in my car & I would happily clean up after them.
    Why? Because I know I can count on them in time of need.
    Cars will come on go, my family will always be there for me.

Dan

XSpeed and Justicepool like this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1000
    My only regret with the Cali is that I couldn't afford it sooner, when my dad, mom, grandma, etc. were alive, so they could enjoy it with me.
    T

Justicepool and whatheheck like this.
  23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Same here Tom.......

I wish my Mom and Dad were alive as I know they would love a ride. And they would be proud of what I have accomplished.
    They both passed away before I purchased my 1st Ferrari.

I also have a nephew named Nathan. Nathan loves cars. I know he would love a ride in my Ferrari. That would be a nice treat for him.
    Sadly he passed away unexpectedly at the very young age of 23............ I never had the chance to give him a ride or offer him a test drive in my Ferrari.........
    I miss him so much.

Message again is - enjoy your life and your family as life is too short. No one knows when it will end.

Share the joy and happiness when you can or before its too late.

Dan

Justicepool likes this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's the sad fact of life: everyone gets only one lap. For some it's a sprint, for others it's a marathon...T