Hill Climb races | FerrariChat

Hill Climb races

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 11506apollo, Jun 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Why are Hill Climb races so abundant all over Europe and so rare in America ?

2. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Lawyers?

kylec and GuyIncognito like this.
  4. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    What would you call a sunken Cruise ship with 3,000 Lawyers on the bottom of the ocean ?

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    A good start.

kylec and Nembo1777 like this.
  6. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Old joke but reflect our true feelings ( most of us anyways)....

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I honestly don't feel it's just lawyers, in fact I don't think it's the dominant reason.

In Europe if you 'step down' (not an insult) from circuit racing or rallying all you have really are sprints and hillclimbs as a grass roots motorsport. In this country you have thousands of oval tracks all over the country. Circle track racing is relatively cheap and easy to get into compared to circuit racing and rallying so it's the de-facto grassroots Motorsport for thousands of people, filling a similar roll to hillclimbs over here.

Add in property values, land is dirt cheap here, especially in rural areas, compared to Europe so it's much more cost effective to build an oval track here than in Europe.

VAF84 likes this.
  8. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

#8 LBBP, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    They frankly don't get the publicity that major racing gets, there are several associations nationally that put on hillclimbs, the biggest being Pikes Peak and Virginia City.

Colorado: chcaracing.com

Pennsylvania: pahillclimb.org

New England: www.hillclimb.org

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the Silver State Classic Challenge, where you race against the clock over a closed course on pretty much level or gently rolling countryside.

https://sscc.us

Tegethoff likes this.
  9. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I used to work this event just off Tail of The Dragon (US129) outside Robbinsville NC in Joyce Kilmer National Forest. Built a car to run it, moved to CA before i had a chance to participate, but it is a nice setup. A little rough as its a USFS road, but they were working with us on resurfacing the problem areas.

https://ccrscca.com/events/chasing-the-dragon-hillclimb-xiv/
    https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/chasing-dragon-xiv-hillclimb-robbinsville-north-carolina-scca-central-carolinas-167710

I think this is still the record

LBBP likes this.
  10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

That's practically in my backyard, I'll have to look into that further. Racing this year has been "hit & miss" due to the Covid crap to say the least so something like this would make a nice diversion.

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Many local motor clubs in Europe like to organise some sort of competition, and hillclimbing is the cheaperst way to do this.
    No need for permanent infrastructure, or costly installation, just the authorisation of the authorities to close the road for one day at most.
    That's how most of the famous hillclimbs in Europe started, mostly in the Alps, but almost anywhere there is elevation.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    Im curious to learn about what happens when public or private properties get damaged..as they often do.

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Event insurance.

14. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

This, plus a signed waiver by every participant. Cannot speak to the specifics of a Hillclimb waiver, but track insurance is usually offered at my events for track specific damage.

15. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Karting

Jun 16, 2013
    It's probably for the similar reasons as to why drag racing is so much more prevalent in the US vs in Europe, i.e. the prevalent type of roads and driving.

European mountains and hills are densely populated and crossed by tons of roads. Mountain driving is a daily chore for a lot of people, and winding climbing roads are accessible to a large fraction of the population.