488 - Ferrari has Mclarenitus | FerrariChat

488 Ferrari has Mclarenitus

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bkclients, Jun 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    The resale values of Ferrari’s don’t look as promising say in years past. With the quick turnaround of new models, the line is becoming diluted and resale prices will be detrimentally affected (Mclarenitus).

How badly? The answer is it depends. Certainly anyone who has owned a McLaren knows how badly their cars have depreciated in value. Thus, with depreciation being at all time highs for the brand in the next few years, lets hope all owners learn to drive their cars rather than let them depreciate in their garages.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Meh...

McLarenitus is due to the fact that they come out with a new and improved model about every two years.

Which at first seems great... But destroys values. Also the problem with mclaren is that the were very unreliable and horrendously expensive to fix and have had shabby build quality.

Ferrari gets it wrong but less so. They keep models for about 5 years and it's pretty evolutionary in it's changed... Save the 430 to the 458 jump.

McLaren treats their road program like their f1 program. They bring a new update and refinement every dang race... But... That's only fun if you get a new car every race. Lol.

Overall values are down across everything. Covid. Election year. Rowdy stock market

And my personal thought... The biggest problem...

Too many exotic cars.

Too many McLarens in all flavors.
    Ferrari increased production so more cars

Then you have Porsche which just built way too many gt cars.

Lambo huracan now available in several flavors

Audi r8 available in several flavors

Acura nsx
    CORVETTE
    SHELBY mustangs which are surprisingly amazing

Bentley's that behave really really well

Audi rs6 anyone?

Mercedes gtr

Then you have all of the amazing used cars... The list goes on and on and on

Thecadster, Drson, Need4Spd and 8 others like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In our group the Ferraris have had as many issues if not more than the McC’s. lambos have been issue free.

F2003-GA, Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Zero to minimal issues on my mclaren or Ferrari’s.

F2003-GA and Boomhauer like this.
  5. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Ferrari is going the same route as Mclaren, they won't have 4-5 year runs anymore, they are going to keep changing every 2-3 years. I'm sure their will be some Ferrari's that hold/go up in value, but majority will drop like other manufacturers.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #6 Shadowfax, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Likewise. My 488 had electrical and battery issues but Pista - touch wood - has been fine to date...and I pray it stays that way!

However, in other Ferrari models it has been a total and ongoing nightmare based upon what I've both seen and heard with my own eyes and ears. What I've seen other Ferrari owners endure has been truly awful. So yes on that score I would absolutely agree Mclaren is - in general - not worse than Ferrari in this area of electronic issues and failures and possibly better on an overall scale.

I would agree with Dusty that the Lambo's have evidently developed an immunity to these types of issues ever since the Germans took over.

And insofar as resale values go that Ferrari is a safer bet, that con has been exposed. Going by the current performances of the more later released Ferrari's if anything they have worse resale value than Mac. It is really only the very special versions which have held up, the mainstream models available in such abundance it's a buyers market and, anyone's game.

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My 458 has been bulletproof

Adamas likes this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Curious, not even minor gremlins? My 3 previous 458s’s all had one thing or the other constantly.

9. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I am with Buddy. Zero issues with my ‘12 - 458 (knock on wood )

Adamas likes this.
  10. ferrarifam

ferrarifam Karting

Jun 9, 2020
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It does appear that the 488's are taking beating with depreciation more so than other models. Is it because people are selling them to make room for the F8?

11. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Does it matter? As long as the wealthy are willing to buy the new cars, depreciation doesn't matter much to Ferrari.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli likes this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nope

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Says who? I don't think they are changing the 5 year production cycle at all.

Why?

Ferrari is profitable for a reason.

Mclaren is in bankruptcy. For a reason.

Ferrari rings out every last penny.

Drson and Napoli like this.
  14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    What Ferraris are they? Because the modern I was seldomly have issues.

The McLarens on the other hand. Many. And expensive. And all over the place.

Drson likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Senna, 720, 650.

488s, 458’s, speciale, Lusso.

performante, AV, AV63

16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    458S battery died after 6 months and folding hardtop broke after 1.5 years 4K miles.

Huracan lower timing chain cover leak required 50 parts and 30 man hours to repair 4K miles.

California battery died 2.5 years.

GT3 and AMG GTS bulletproof.

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Friend bought loaded 18 488 with 2800 miles CF everywhere lift JBL CarPlay AFS two tone roof for $140k off sticker.

Covid special

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #19 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Better add California and Portofino to that list as well. Some of the repeat electrical problems I've seen would test any owners tolerance. My neighbor ended up booting his off as he couldn't take it any more.

And for anyone to say the heavy depreciation was limited to 488 isn't looking at the bigger (Ferrari) picture. It's pretty clear that once production numbers increase - which they have - and more used examples become available then price goes down accordingly. And the more expensive the car is new, the larger that depreciation becomes as availability increases on the used market.

Back in the good old Ferrari days when production numbers were less, used buyers had no choice other than to pay more as the market was able to absorb the numbers at a higher price-point. Now the numbers have increased the used market no longer sees the need to pay more for a car which is clearly in abundance with insufficient used buyers with the money to absorb the larger numbers at the old pricing.

kane00, Gh21631 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My 488 has had only very minor issues. All covered under warranty/extended warranty. Although my battery has never had issues I find it interesting that this is such a big complaint. A battery?

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I think you mean mp412c. 650s. 675lt 720s 570gt 570s 600lt mclarenM gt A

3.8 4.0 twin turbo v8 mid engine cars. Not alot of difference.

Napoli likes this.
  22. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Talk to your dealer. They are changing the production cycle and will be pumping out more cars. There will be shorter runs.

Gh21631 likes this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No, I’m answering the question for what cars we owned.

kane00 likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This was only for 650 to 12C, this has not been the case with the 570 or 720. I dont know why people keep saying this when its far from the truth.

Again, not true but lets assume they did enhance cars during the life of the model. How would this be a bad thing? Better than being complacent.

carz80am likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think you are making decisions based on rumors vs. facts. Many of us here have or had McLarens and provide real world experience and it is not as you describe.

Boomhauer, carz80am and SoCal to az like this.