How much can I spend on an F12tdf? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How much can I spend on an F12tdf?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by italiafan, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How much money in liquid assets should I have to go for it! In USD $$$

1. > 1M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. > 2M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. > 5M

22 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. >10M

29 vote(s)
    32.2%
  5. > 20M

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  6. > 30M

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. > 50M

7 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Your garage says it all...YES. Go buy the beast.

I mean come on what's to think about? Head and heart are saying the same thing...I want in a TDF now.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what percentage of your net worth will the tdf be? that's the question that matters at the end of the day. just because you can write a 900k check doesn't mean you can lose 450k of it.

ZF123, LARRYH, uhn2000 and 5 others like this.
  3. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    That and how liquid would you be subsequently. If rest is tied up in RE etc then doesn't leave much room for error

ZF123, 09Scuderia and italiafan like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    That is the crux of the matter. Also, I am now retired and capital generates income. I can afford it, all things considered, I just wonder sometimes if I am being “selfish” rather than wise.

We all know there is a liquid-net-worth “number” out there in the ether that is so obviously “safe” that absolutely no one would ever question a purchase, and then on the other end of the spectrum there is a number so low people unequivocally would call you crazy for considering a $900K toy-car purchase. For instance, if one had >$50M in investments I doubt anyone would question (obviously I don’t), and similarly if $1M (and needed the income) then it would be obviously financially reckless to do so.

As is often the case...the answer lies in the middle somewhere, hence the “polling” of a community like this...I know many of you (some from financial career backgrounds) have pondered similar conundrums.

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in ur case if cash flow isnt a problem them maybe finance the whole thing so you dont reduce your capital by 900K
    who cares of anyone calls you crazy? ur bank account, ur life.

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Interesting thought, especially in context of low interest rate environment. Wonder what residuals show on tdf leases.

Texas Forever and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my dealer basically forced me to finance my 600k car. the loan was 10k a month, i paid 24 times and sold the car.

uhn2000 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Have you had an opportunity to drive a TDF? If so how does it compare to your former F12 and new 812?

9. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    If you wait to fix every weakness you will die without ever having enjoyed realizing your toy car ownership dreams. I don't disagree with your overall stance on the precarity of assets and of the status quo, but, live a little.

10. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    you can do both. I do. Lots of us here do.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Short and sweet, the way I like it.
    Just do it !

Sent from my 16M

italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Id say $10m as well. Look for a TDF with at least 3-5k miles and trade your 812.

italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    No unfortunately I haven’t, but I am sure the experience would be exceptional.
    I can say that the 812 is superior to the F12 dynamically in just about every metric you can think of. I might give the edge to the F12 in the “scare you unpredictable” department though. :)

14. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    For me, it seems more like how much will you enjoy it rather if you buy it or not.
    I mean if one can afford it and buy it sure no problem. Prices will notdiffer that much when reselling it.

But if you want to drive it, it is different.
    If you approach from investment view, it is better let it sit on the floor. If you want to drive it then risk is too high when you put too much money into it.

A solution is buy two tdfs.

Just kidding. Sorry.

Buy it and drive whenever it is possible. If it bothers you too much to damage it, it is better to drive now while tdf parts still exists in the factory then later when you have to order them or make them sort of.. Ferrari won’t make tdf type car again ever and you are not getting younger either. Now is the time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JTSE30, Texas Forever and italiafan like this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    FChat wisdom.

stavura, Altoria F, italiafan and 4 others like this.
  16. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Italiafan: I think it's a worthwhile and valid question to ask, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's responses. Beyond all that's already been said, I think your cash burn rate is an important consideration. I know guys living very simply for whom sports cars are there only sole extravagance. In this instance, a couple million would probably do the job. On the other hand, I've also got friends who have three or four ex wives, a couple vacation homes, and memberships to country clubs that they never get around to using. For those guys even 50m seems to leave them short.

So while your liquid assets are certainly a part of the equation, I would argue that they are only a part of the equation.

17. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I am the former but damn I bet the latters have fun

ewright likes this.
  18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Brother, it’s pretty clear you can afford the car no problem. We have a similar stable with the good fortune to pick the keys up from a few different options... so the real question to me is, is this a car you find as a keeper?
    Then the next question is do you plan to drive it and not worry about depreciation? $1 mil is not a small amount you can comfortably burn away (at least not for me).
    If the answer to both is yes - keep and drive it with miles of smiles with no regrets.....then buy the damn thing and live it up!

Sent from my 16M

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    A large part of my hesitation does come from my love of driving and not as much from “collecting.” A depreciated high mileage car might be preferable for this reason.

ZF123 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    cars have a diminished marginal utility, unless you love everything equally. as the price gets bigger, you need to love that car exponentially more as every time you add another car, you are then driving the others less. im not sure how many cars you have but if you are approaching a dozen and you live in the north east, that means you can drive each car for 2 weeks. the more cars you own the more it become a collection. also, and i'm not practical at all, a tdf is not much fun on the streets if you care about obeying the law. fwiw under 70 MPH i didn't think the car was much fun. 458, cgt, f40 all much more fun under 70 mph. if i lived in northern italy/germany the tdf wld be by number 1 choice.

Bundy, uhn2000, Texas Forever and 3 others like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    That’s a very interesting point...drivability of an extremely powerful car on the street. The V8’s are fun on the streets because you can kick out the rear on turns and such.
    I’m not familiar with the usability of the V12’s on the street. Doing straight line pulls for me is banal with no adrenaline rush.
    You are correct the F40 and CGT raise your adrenaline at any level....even if you’re at a stop light, all your senses are heightened by the aroma, sound, feel, nostalgia and visual acuity....guarantee my pupils are dilated!

Sent from my 16M

Bundy, Texas Forever and italiafan like this.
  22. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Lay off the blow ;)

MDS

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Sent from my 16M

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Poll results are interesting to me...I expected a higher range than what many seem to believe is acceptable.

25. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Really? We are a bunch of ferrari loving car guys. It's all between 10 and 20 percent of NW. Fairly reasonable given you have everything taken care of

Started shopping yet?