Possible 599 GTB purchase... | FerrariChat

Possible 599 GTB purchase...

Discussion in '612/599' started by Corsair66, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Gentlemen,

I've been itching for another Ferrari ever since I sold my F430 early last year and I wanted a front-engined V12 GT car this time around. I had a deposit on an 812, but just couldn't reconcile myself to the depreciation and so didn't pull the trigger. Some more mulling and research led me to realize that the 599 GTB is both a great GT car and a very nice value for a modern Ferrari.

I'm going to be looking at this one next week:

https://www.marinoperformancemotors.com/2008-ferrari-599-gtb-fiorano-c-12882.htm

From a distance, it looks quite good. What I can't figure out is why it's so much less expensive than other apparently similar cars. I'm bringing my mechanic to do an on-the-spot PPI, but what should I be concentrating on myself? Is the 599 susceptible to any particular issues (such as the F430's v1 OEM headers, etc.)?

Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Ken

2. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Looks great, but I had the same thought about the price? Perhaps with the economy being so soft F-cars are feeling the pinch and aren’t moving at all? If it checks out on the PPI and is what you want - then why not go for it.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Wonder what happened to the 20" wheels she came with?

4. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Did all of the '08 599s come with the Challenge wheels? I've seen quite a few photos of cars with these wheels. Absent the build sheet or Monroney sticker, is there any way to readily determine which wheels shipped with the car from Maranello?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, they were optional through most of production.

The 20" wheels are listed on the option sheet in the ad in one of the last images. 20" Monolithic Wheels $4227. Hard to understand why someone would go back to the mix of 19" and 20" wheels.

6. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Interesting; thanks. At the very least, that's a negotiation point for the value of those 20" wheels.

7. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    For what it's worth since you can afford an 812 but don't want to suffer the dreaded price depreciation, purchase instead an '10 or '11 F599 with the factory HGTE option in it.

I'd owned an '07 599 which is very similar to the '08 you're checking out. I now have an '11 599 with factory HGTE and the latter version is more than worth it especially from an improved handling standpoint, more luxe CF everywhere interior, and value.

There were only about 200 of the factory HGTE versions imported into the US (or was that total production?), so it's the 599 to own; of course, short of the GTO (599 made) and the exclusive SA Aperta (80 made) variants.

8. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Ken - I have an '09 that I've owned for 5 years, love it. It does cost a few bucks every year fixing things but it is worth it.

At that price, that car seems very appealing. You would suffer about the same amount of year 1 depreciation with an 812. No knock on the 812, it is great, but.

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    From a dealer, I would call this ASK a realist price. Wholesale is probably around $90,000.

10. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    He claims that the asking price is less than he has in it, though that's neither here nor there.

I've confirmed that the car was delivered with the 20" Challenge wheels and is now wearing the 19/20 set. I need to figure out when and why this happened. I could see someone grabbing the cheaper set if two of the originals were damaged. It's definitely going to be a negotiation point since a set of the Challenge wheels could run $5K+.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Sounds good. Glad to hear that you've loved the car for five years. Very true on the 812 depreciation. It's an incredible car to drive - a real beast - but I just couldn't justify the loss. I guess the bottom line is that I just couldn't afford it. That's fine; the 599 is scarcely a hardship ride. :)

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I wouldn't offer more than $100k.

13. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Really?!? Is that a realistic offer (one that'll at least spur a counteroffer in the ballpark) or likely to get me dismissed as a delusional crank? Obviously, I don't want to overpay, but I don't want to lose the car, either.

14. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    FWIW, I traded my 07 599 back in December. I got 4 trade offers ranging between $110k-$115k. My build and MSRP was slightly higher than what you are looking at and had 15k on the odometer.

Do check the condition on the dash. From the pictures, I could see that it is beginning to pull back, and the airbag leather starting to bubble. On my 599, binacle was starting to pull back and dash vents under windshield curling. Not cheap fixes.

15. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Good info; thanks. I'm having my Ferrari mechanic look at the car next week and will direct his attention to those spots.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is impossible to insult a car salesman.

But, yes, I think it is a realistic offer.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    :D

OK, I hear you. I'd love to get it for $100K, believe me. It's going to need some post-sale attention, in any case: new wheels, new tires, a thorough detailing (PPF removal, paint correction, and glass coating), etc.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Careful, anyone can read this thread, including salespeople. ;)

19. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I was just explaining "Ferrari Fever" to a colleague. :)

Jim

20. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yep. I’ve seen the same affliction with airplanes, camera lenses, watches, guns, etc. I’m just thankful that I’ve never cared about boats!

Nospinzone and Texas Forever like this.
  21. ARMfastlane

ARMfastlane Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2019
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Adam
    This is an interesting post as I was at the dealer today dropping off my 08 F430 and was drawn to an 08 599 GTB they have for sale! I love the F430, and was maybe considering an upgrade to an early 458, but I love the V12, sound, and comfort of the 599, but I also love the DCT aspect of the 458... decisions decisions lol ‍♂️ (salesmen told me to not trade and just keep both, but my wife would NEVER allow that)

22. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    i, too, coming from an F430, thought about the 458 and its DCT. I knew that I wanted a front-engined V12 GT car, though, so I wasn’t strongly tempted. I really wanted an 812, but couldn’t rationalize the price and depreciation. The F12 didn’t grab me and it still has a fair amount of depreciation yet to go. The 599 GTB solidly hits the sweet spot all around. I never minded the F1 gearbox in the F430, so I expect to be fine with it in the 599.

23. eaf124

eaf124 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2015
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Field
    FWIW, on the dealer's website, if you look closely at the 4th interior pic (showing the passenger seat), the car actually has the 20in monolithic wheels fitted..

The dealer recently sold a 2008 599 (also on their website, listed as an HGTE) with monolithic wheels. Perhaps the dealer swapped rims.

Sent from my GM1917 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

599_GTO and Corsair66 like this.
  24. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Very astute observation! All of the pics of that recently sold car show the monolithics. One way or another, they’re going to pay for those wheels.

599_GTO and eaf124 like this.
  25. lawteam

lawteam Karting

May 15, 2009
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Full Name:
    Evan Fetterman
    I tested that car 2 weeks ago. beautiful car. really does not need paint correction or PPF film removal and the ball polished wheels and tires look great. paint condition is excellent. there are some interior issues as mentioned above and they stated they would be willing to resolve those pre delivery. I wound up with a different 599 because it was certified by Ferrari.