Clay Bar over PPF - Prepping for Ceramic Coating | FerrariChat

Clay Bar over PPF - Prepping for Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by eaf124, Jun 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eaf124

eaf124 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2015
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Field
    Hi, I'm going to be ceramic coating my car in the coming weeks. Have a few questions:

-Has anyone used a clay bar over ppf? Is there a particular clay bar/lubricant recommended for ppf?

-What products do you use to wipe down ppf after clay bar to remove any lubricant left behind? I've used ipa in the past, but am not sure if this will damage the film.

Thanks

Sent from my GM1917 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you want to be extra safe ..wash car again after clay and then use the alcohol .. this is in reference to non ppf surfaces

I will others chime in for ppf surfaces ..

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    You can use a fine grade clay for the ppf and just gentle pressure. The white Meguiars clay kits at auto zone/ O’Reilys, etc will be fine.
    I would re wash and use a product like Eraser from Carpro to make sure the surface is free of anything. You can use that on ppf or painted surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flash32 likes this.
  4. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I would suggest that you talk to the PPF installer or manufacturer. I was told that a clay bar should not be used on PPF.

5. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I've used Griot's synthetic clay bar on vinyl wrap films before, which I think is quite similar to a PPF. It worked 'ok', but not great. I've heard that it's easy to damage the film with a traditional clay bar.

6. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have clayed PPF many times, as long as it is fine grade clay and you use adequate lubrication and are gentle you will not do damage. However, there are 2 other options...wash with a nanoskin mitt or just use IronX!

And using isopropanol on PPF is also just fine. I'm a veteran of LOTS of ceramic jobs and although some manufacturers try to get you to use their named product (like Eraser), 50% IPA will be just fine for pre-ceramic.

7. Badbruno

Badbruno Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl M
    Yes Clayed my 488 with chemical guys medium clay and lubricant... did a great job.

I washed the car after to remove lubricant residue. 90% alcohol is what’s Recommeded in prep for ceramic