F8 - Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but.... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 Drove the F8...really really want to love it, but....

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, Jun 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    So how would the Speciale track against a similar stock car from 2000? I bet the Speciale would feel far superior! My point is that you say the world is changing and the Speciale feels somewhat dated/slow on the track with what I am assuming to be current similar cars (Pista/720 etc). Not a fair comparison in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No need to justify or explain. It’s your car enjoy it love it.

Brian Hardy, sampelligrino and SECRET like this.
  3. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    Same here. I have always bought new cars. 6 of my last 7 Ferrari's were all brand new. I was always looking forward to the next better car....until the 488. Never bought one, and then a few years later, went back and bought a used 458 (because I sold my 458 spider thinking the next car will again be a better car. Nope). My used 458 spider now is my favorite car.

To answer the question whether people that prefer the 458 over the F8 because of the price difference.....Let's say tomorrow Ferrari says we will build brand new 458 with the Speciale engine, rack and pinion steering, etc, and price it the same as a brand new F8, and they will be produced along side each other. Let's see how many people will buy the 458 vs the F8. I will wager more people will buy the 458. I will.

JTSE30, someguy, Ngcanada and 2 others like this.
  4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That F8 is a $370,000 MSRP and they are asking $395,000.

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... which seems like a nice try.

David246GT likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good luck with that. But I guess if there are people stupid enough to buy a Porsche Targa "Heritage Edition" for a 45k premium, there are people stupid enough to pay a 25k premium on an F8.

7. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Funny stuff ... I can see the mcl dealer saying to themselves, just once I'd like to sell a used car that hasn't lost $200k in a week.

Napoli, ryalex, tbuff and 3 others like this.
  8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    People say this all the time you can’t use the extra power and for some people maybe that is true. I have a 840 hp Demon and use the power all the time. Empty on-ramp, empty highway, even just mashing it to pass a left lane loser. Before the demon it was a 640 rwhp Cadillac CTS V and before that it was a 650 rwhp Porsche 911 Turbo.

9. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    #59 MisterMaranello, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    I finally tested the car too recently, well overdue. Fantastic power, turbo lag now actually felt practically eliminated with the expection of lazy pulls in higher gears. It feels fast as (or even faster) an 812 even with the lack of drama. The grip is simply amazing, the steering great for the type of car. Most impressively, the brakefeel was astounding for CCM's, and probably the best of any modern supercar I have driven. Must be thanks to what they call FDE, and very confidence inspiring.

But the car has become a Porsche 992. So good, very polished, but lacking in the sensory department. Not to mention the sound, barely any engine sound even during acceleration at over 150 km/h. Fantastic car, but not a Ferrari in my heart. Interior now also feels somewhat dated compared to other market offerings. Extraordinary car for those with no previous Ferrari experience approaching the brand for something to live an easy life with.

Randyslovis, IloveGT and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I agree with your analogy.

The thing is that Ferraris as with anything else continually gets dearer. Then there are more of them as the years go by. Hence more on secondhand market along with speculators thinking of making a profit and there she goes down the value of your trade in. Its been pointed out to me for some money is no issue , I say Bless You.
    But to many it will be a bearing. Thing is MANY like to knock the 488 GTB and include the F8 now and justify an explanation that they believe the 458 is better the rawness the sound. They are different that's it. Given the ability to change to a F8 with say a $5k change over I dare say 99.9999% will take it up.

SECRET likes this.
  11. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Never had the pleasure of owning a 458. I picked the 488 b/c I like the looks better, like newer cars with better tech and more power. I'd love to get a Pista but not going to spend the cash. After the F8's have been out a while and have depreciated $100k I may get one if the specs are what I like. The sound of my 488 is fine with me. Where I live exotics are too common to turn many heads.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Maybe so but how about the people that decided not to buy the 458 , like me. Why it wasn't for any lack of power , sound etc etc but looks. The Whiskas and lack of a side opening put me 100% off. Every Ferrari in this series had a side opening and in the 458 it was hidden.

But with your example there is ZERO chance of that happening and frankly there will also be ZERO chance of an equal swap. But the probability would be better to swap in the $$$$ change over was lower.

Dicecal and Coincid like this.
  13. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    458 Speciale has a “side opening” it just doesn’t destroy the amazing lines of the hips. It is just behind the side windows and it is not really hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTSE30 likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Speciale I couldn't buy as I didn't have history. Front and rear 100% better than the 458 Italia. But still you cant see the openings like 308,328,348,355,360.430 and now 488 GTB,F8 , PISTA.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes, but I think by the flip side of the same coin, if the F8 is natural aspirated, many will also make the swap even if it costs 150k more (usd that is), including me. (but in reality, not anymore because of the way Ferrari is dishonest in their maintenance practice for post 2019 cars and the way their brand is diluting after being public)

16. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1. Heard the ignition sound and then engine rev while stationary. No goosebumps. The GPF totally throttles the symphony.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I do see your point.

Food for thought is I replied to an Aussie. Things are so much different down here with regards to taxes .

Your world e.g bought 488 GTB say $320 k sell $240 k new F8 same spec $320 k you have lost $80 k USD = about $118 AUD

But in reality over here

488 GTB $620 K trade if lucky $420 k. Increase in F8 price to have same extras and tax increase is $650 k . So difference is $230 k AUD or $156 k USD. And even worse for a Spider. The saddest point being that difference of $230 k about $200 will go to the government as tax :(
    Now factor in a 458 at best was new around $700 k , ( They actually reduced the price of the 488) the best you might get is $270 k. There change over is $380 k !!!!!

The DELTA is just too big now. And that's why there are so many oh no I love my 458.

I see the love for the 458 , as I have always been a N/A guy but in real world its more than just the love for not upgrading . Its more about the delta.

How many people do you know that we allocated 2 PISTA's and also a PISTA Spider ? None right but over here there is someone that has that. Only one car was an order. The other 2 were cancelled orders because of the huge delta after being told that the value of their 488 sucks.

One thing for sure if I didnt mind second hand and carbon it would be absolutely CRAZY to by a F8 instead of a Pista. The Pista will hold better for sure.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. someguy

someguy Rookie

Nov 3, 2012
    I know what you mean, but I can clearly see two openings here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Not having a huge gaping hole on the side is a plus for some

of2worlds, JTSE30, MANDALAY and 4 others like this.
  19. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thanks, I agree. While it's not fair, it's the reality. The Speciale would absolutely destroy any Ferrari from 2000. In fact, it's nearly guaranteed it would destroy most cars from 2000 in any sense of the imagination. That said, the Speciale to MY00 cars is a 14 year gap. There's a lot of 2014 cars that would obliterate
    a car from 2000. Relative to today, the Speciale is only a 5-6 years old, but like I posted earlier, the automotive world is changing quickly.

I reflected a bit after I posted that and re-read it earlier today. I think one of the things that about the 458 is that it is in that "no man's land" from an aging standpoint. It's not a new car anymore. But it isn't old enough that it is expected to be relatively slow. It's no surprise a 360 or F430 simply can't keep up with even modern day cars like a M2 or a Cayman. That gap in age is significant. It's also generally not common to see those cars on track. A Scud is also no longer a really good track vehicle for many reason besides speed. To me, the Speciale still falls within that odd age gap where you'd expect, based on looks, value, and frankly, how much of a commotion it makes, that it would be much faster than it is.

It's amazing how much cars have leaped ahead from a performance standpoint. That's a great thing for everyone that cares about performance. Sound is a tradeoff, but as many have said, it is a different sound that I believe is still very Ferrari (you can see this if you listen to a 488/F8 against other turbo V8s out there). But again, if sound is what you're looking for, I think a N/A V8 is not the pinnacle. I personally find N/A V10s and N/A V12s sounding incredibly exciting in comparison.

sisiay, sampelligrino and MANDALAY like this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed performance improvement has accelerated - while Ferrari could claim (although I think it was already not true) that a Scuderia could be as fast as a 458, there is no way a Speciale could be as fast as a 488 (in 2015 that made me choose the 488, and I definitely do not regret it although I know it was not a good financial decision - but for me a Ferrari is not about making money, quite the opposite in fact: it's one of the reasons I have to make some money).
    I also agree that for people really valuing sound, a V12 is the way to go (I just added one to the 488 ;) ) - whatever screaming V8 is not a match no matter how hard it's trying.

JackCongo, MANDALAY and SECRET like this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As a V10, V12 and NA V8 owner I would offer that the NA V8 is more organic and characterful than the V12. Both sound different, IMO neither is better than the other. But the V10 is loudest IMO, but also more synthetic.
    I appreciate that the NA V8 often sounds different whereas the others dont vary much in my driving experience.
    No wrong choice amongst these engines honestly.

22. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    V10s are hard to get right sound wise ... the CGT is heavenly, the R8 with the right aftermarket exhaust is epic, the Viper is a disaster imo no matter what you do exhaust wise.

Wikdstrate, SECRET and dustman like this.
  23. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I had a Viper ACR and put headers ect. Getting good sound from a truck engine is not easy.

SECRET likes this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    agree, there is no way for anyone in this forum who can use all the power of 458 without getting in jail on public road.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  25. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    Getting late in the game of this thread...@Ngcanada, we probably test drove the same demo car that was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. I’m also coming from a 458. I would sum it up as the F8 is appealing to the brain (precision and control) and the 458 to the heart (senses and emotion). Money aside, I would have both as one doesn’t replace the other. I found it was easier to compare the F8 to a 720 S than to a 458.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk