Pista on Bring a Trailer pulled? | FerrariChat

Pista on Bring a Trailer pulled?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jaguar36, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    There was an auction of a Pista on Bring a Trailer that got pulled. It sounds like Ferrari of Central Jersey wasn't planning on honoring the auction or something? Anyone have any more details about what happened? Seems like a pretty shady move by Ferrari of Central NJ, but I wonder if there is another side to the story. Anyone know it?

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    freshmeat and Texas Forever like this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    From the comment section:

"A Pista without carbon is like a stripper with big boobs and no teeth."

Lol.

This car isn't even wearing dentures.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There is zero external carbon (except side air intakes?) on this Pista. Personally that doesn't bother me so much except for the rear molding. I try and not have any carbon lower than my knee. Too expensive to replace. But Ferrari Central Jersey was bush league doing this.

Need4Spd and nmcclure like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    An auction (specially an online one) may expose the reality of the market, which may not please an official dealer...

KC360 FL likes this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #6 IPO1, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    2600 miles and no carbon. Not sure if that is indicative of the market. Anyone that can afford 395k can likely afford 425k for a better spec.

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    agreed, It’s a $360k car there are too many good specs within 20k.

Gh21631 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I wonder if Ferrari found out and had it pulled. Doesn't look great for a manufacturer to have a franchise store selling a car on BAT...Or maybe they have a deal pending

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I wonder what the dealers think will keep the prices up?

As a buyer, all I see on the horizon is a significant glut of super cars hitting the market in a receding economy on top of still ongoing Pista production...

KC360 FL and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I got so much pushback last fall when I predicted the Pista market will go the way of the GT2RS market ... even as Ferrari was making as many as people wanted the conventional wisdom/wishful thinking was that it was going to be a Speciale type production, especially with all the cars people were made to buy to get one.

2RS prices have somewhat stabilized, I'm sure Pista ones will too eventually, but for now the wholesale market is heading downwards fast (as of last week $50k+ under msrp depending on spec), obviously not helped by the virus. I’m sure there’s a lot of people including Ferrari who don’t want transactions out in public spaces like bat.

12. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    It's funny how people often opine that carbon options return .10 on the dollar but as soon as the stripper spec is offered, it's derided as unworthy of consideration.
    that being said, the glory days of demand>supply and maintaining retail on the second-hand market are long past.
    if anything, it separates the wheat from the chaff:
    you want the car? buy the car.
    speculators need not apply.
    i'm still waiting for my TDF at MSRP (but don't chastise me for not buying it if there's no CF ;)).

13. kane00

kane00 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Exactly correct. And real money buyers are very informed and continue to see a downward trend that we aren’t even close to the bottom. Wait till December rolls around.

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And the real owners who bought their cars not as an investment but for the pure joy don’t give a rats ass.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is a difference between carbon on a 4 year old 488 and a 1 year old Pista.

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I agree.
    What will be interesting is how Pista prices will shake out in four years and what effect external carbon will have on market pricing.
    If there is a big impact, I'm sure the mothership will take note and continue to design cars that appear half-baked without ~$35-50k of options checked off.
    The Pista may be the apotheosis of the external options as a revenue generator.
    (cue the SF90 Assetto Fiorano... "hold my birra")

17. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    I’m sure some do and some don’t, that’s not the topic of this thread.

But since you brought it up ... anyone that’s been on automotive forums long enough knows that anyone who takes the time to tell strangers that they don’t give a rat’s ass usually gives a rat’s ass. True indifference does not require an audience.

09Scuderia, SirPouyan, kane00 and 3 others like this.
  18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    And anyone that’s been on automotive forums long enough knows that anyone hyper infatuated with depreciation that takes the time to tell strangers how their car has gone down in value either can’t afford one or wanted one so badly that they couldn’t and now have to justify their lack of ownership by talking about depreciation.

look- no wants to lose money but many here did not buy a Pista thinking it would be a million dollar car. I’ve made money or cars but have lost far more than I’ve made. But the smile every time I get behind the wheel makes it all worthwhile. Ymmv.

IloveGT and Gh21631 like this.
  19. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    First of all I’m not telling anyone the price of their car has gone down, the market is.
    Nor I don’t wish negativity on anyone, financial or otherwise. When I saw this coming last fall my motivation wasn’t I hope this happens so I can be right, I was hoping that I’d be wrong but thought I’d mention the parallels I saw (from experience) for those who might care. It’s actually one of the very few value discussions I’ve taken part in and it was driven by good intention not by ego. Some of us simply discuss these things every once in a while because it matters to some people to some degree as one variable of their ownership experience.
    Being an enthusiast and not wanting or being able to lose too much on every transaction aren’t mutually exclusive, and yes one can care about both and be a ‘real’ owner. I know for my part with my automotive add, I need to pay attention to such things or else I won’t be doing it for long, and if I’m not considered ‘real’ by strangers so be it.
    I’m happy for the people who are in a position to not care, I have no judgment about those who do care, nor the presumption to assume why one might or might not care.
    But it would be nice, although probably impossible, to be able to have an objective market discussion without the inevitable ‘I don’t care about depreciation’ flex.

Randyslovis, PTG1, 09Scuderia and 3 others like this.
  20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think it’s absolutely possible (and prudent) to be wealthy enough to not care but also take depreciation into consideration unless it’s a dream once in a life time purchase. Depreciation doesn’t matter if the item is never sold.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It becomes a problem when/if you arent driving your car, if you use it as intended then you get value. Pista is the car to have from Ferrari right now and I dont see anything on the horizon that will change things. For this reason alone any depreciation will flatten.

freshmeat and ppg70 like this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Quick question for you but what cars do you currently own? No disrespect intended but knowing what is in someones stable helps to have the appropriate conversation. TY.

23. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    There it is...
    Disagree with SoCal and he will call you out, and demand to know your ownership history.

BLAMPEE, 09Scuderia and soulsea like this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Simple solution to that is probably don't disagree with me then. :)

Ive wasted enough time arguing with people (noone in particular comes to mind) that Id rather know who Im discussing the topic with. Is it someone who is saving up for their first car or someone who buys cars regularly. Different context in the conversations.

IloveGT likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A better question is what do you have the capability to own and what factors into your decisions on what/when to buy. I could buy an F1 in cash. I won't.

IloveGT, PTG1, BLAMPEE and 1 other person like this.