812 Superfast modification | FerrariChat

812 Superfast modification

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by EmmKaayy, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    #1 EmmKaayy, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020
    I inherited an 812 Superfast that is currently in transit and should arrive by ship in maybe 2 weeks time.
    If I tried to ship it out again or sell it here, I would lose way more than is acceptable. And because life is too short and the car is actually a superfast! I have decided to keep it. Unfortunately, something like 80 percent of the roads where I live are basically crap. You can"t drive for even 10 minutes without having at least 4 or 5 potholes in your way. With the car being so expensive and so low to the ground, driving it around town would be a very bad idea. I ordered good skid plates. But that won't be nearly enough.

TLDR I was told that these 2 products (posted below this paragraph) could make a Ferrari more or less retain its stock characteristics and performance, while giving me a solution to my problem of needing more ground clearance.

--------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------
    Option 1:

From "Spaccer"

A big name. Audi, Seat, Volkswagen, and Skoda sell "Spaccer" products on their official websites. Also, they ask for your Vin number and customize the parts to your specific model. So that sounds good to me. Still, there are many reasons why my judgement in these technical issues can be off. So, advice from experienced people is greatly appreciated.

https://www.spaccer.com/en_US/marken-und-modelle/ferrari/812-superfast/

Option 2:

(link to product is below this paragraph) KW is also a mainstream company with a good reputation, but it is a whole other approach to lifting and clearance than "Spaccer". KW, being a hydraulic lift system, lifts on demand only, then lowers back down when you don't need clearance (Like oem)
    Personally, I have no clue which solution is better. Let me know what you would do if you could not sell and decided to use the car in "pothole city"

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/products/kw-suspensions-kw-hls-ferrari-f12-berlinetta-19242610.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Before ordering any after market kit..
    - does the car come with the lifting kit? The fact that you’re looking at aftermarket kit suggests not, but that would be the easy option
    - the 812 is not actually that low, unlike other more ‘sporty’ Ferrari models. I rarely use the suspension lifter in mine, despite London having lots of speed bumps.
    - I would say that damage to your wheels and tyres is more of an issue with potholes (especially if you hit them at speed), not so much the bottom of the car hitting the ground (unless these are very deep pot holes)

I’d suggest not ordering anything now, drive it carefully for a few weeks and then reassess. You might find that different tyres (ie higher profile) are a better solution. Good luck

PS which city is this?! Remind me to avoid it on my next road trip...

EmmKaayy and Napoli like this.
  3. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    The car does come with the "suspension lifter" option. I am still worried though, because my previous car (Bmw 318) with around 150mm of ground clearance got scraped or banged up in some way regularly. So a having a Ferrari! with only 110mm of clearance is scary. I am not sure if I will be able to relax enough to drive it too much. And it's really pointless to have a car you can't enjoy.

Still, your response was on point . I have a tendency rush things and act too quickly. But I agree with you that I should wait till I actually drive the car before ordering modifications. Thanks for the advice.

4. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Welcome to the forum! Which city are you located in?

EmmKaayy likes this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Never saw someone post about modifying a new Ferrari to be permanently higher than stock. That's some crappy roads!

Benzov12 and EmmKaayy like this.
  6. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    Thanks. I live in Giza. In Egypt.

7. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    They really are. Way too many cars grinding on roads that barely if ever get maintenance work done.

When you worded your comment the way that you did, was it only because it is not at all something that you see, and therefore it is strange to you? or do you believe it is a bad idea even given the specifics of the situation?

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Since the roads are that bad you might be better off trading the car for a Urus or similar

Napoli and Dubaicity like this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Both really. Usually there are endless debates about lowering Ferraris due to their excessive ride height. Most prefer the looks of a well fit wheel arch and better driving dynamics but are cautious or untrained to make the adjustment. What you propose modifies a Ferrari yet has no visual or performance advantage. In fact both get much worse. The 812 is not referred to as low at all. If your roads suck that much then a supercar would be next to useless.

These cars go triple digits in a blink of an eye and a pot hole filled road would be destructive and dangerous at speed IMHO. Would take the fun away to have to trailer your car to get it to where you can enjoy it. And if you wanted a car that was so beautiful to stare at only in your garage an 812 would not be my choice. Certainly a very wonderful machine but it is what it is.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  10. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Hmmm... the car is pretty good on rough roads. Ferrari makes cars for the entire world and doesn't always expect it to be smooth sailing. Without knowing exactly how bad it's hard to recommend anything in particular. I have the suspension lifter in mine and use it on occasion but it really rare to need need it.

Also keep in mind the tires on the 812 aren't really that low profile, especially the rears.

Overall I would drive the car around and assess it. If it's super bad it might just be better to sell the car. I suppose moving isn't an option? ;)

EmmKaayy likes this.
  11. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    Well, I do have a very practical use for the car. But unfortunately it intersects with the problem I mentioned. I will explain.

There are a few amazing highways here. Pavement on them is only a couple of years old. And they are unusually wide as well. 2 of them specifically take you all over the country and offer nice scenery. Both are always regularly maintained and generally very safe. These highways are maintained and managed by the army. i.e nothing to do with the inner city roads I mentioned(management wise). And because It is easy to rent a vacation home at many spots along those massive highway. The idea of having a Supercar became in my mind not so crazy. Of course when i do get off the highway to head home is where the trouble is.

I did not intend to put all this personal information on here. It is just that without the backstory, my question and the motivation behind it become asinine.
    But in reality, I do have a worst case scenario plan. If I try things out and find that I would be scraping too much. Then when ever I take a trip with the 812 I will have it lifted on a flatbed and only drive on highways. But I have a feeling that I am overthinking and that it won't come to that.

12. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    You gave be a bit of optimism :)

I can't move right now. But I do travel all the time (prior to covid). So if things ever get back to normal, I will probably be all over North America and Europe during the summers.

13. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    If it were any other car, I actually would have been ok with the loss. I would have shipped it out to any dealership in Europe. But as far back as I can remember, I've always thought the Ferrari brand was uniquely beautiful. When I first saw the F12 I almost passed out. But in general I have never been a car guy. So having that car specifically passed down to me was a huge/difficult thing.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have been to Giza on a trip to Cairo and Aswan. Two seconds of fun in a SF, you are going at 80, some taxi emerges from nowhere, you hit a pothole the size of Malta, ultra low profile hard tyre, big wheel transmitting the shock to expensive suspension..your lovely inheritance is an expensive liability and you either pay $20k for a repair or you have a car you can’t use. And if you hit a kerb, from memory they are as high as the Berlin Wall.

I would either a) store the car somewhere in Europe and use it for joyrides there or b) stick to the roads you know are smooth or c) trade it for something more boring but suitable. I wouldn’t give the Urus wheels/tyres/suspension much chance there either, but maybe a Brabus G63 with Scorpion tyres..

Having said that, Harry Metcalfe drove a Testarossa from England to the Moroccan Sahara and survived (check out the video).

Hope it works out.

EmmKaayy likes this.
  15. EmmKaayy

EmmKaayy Rookie

Jun 29, 2020
    Giza, Egypt
    Full Name:
    Mok Amal
    I think B will be more than enough for me. I have been thinking a lot about my situation. I realized something important. Hypothetically speaking, even if the roads were perfect and traffic was ideal, I still can't drive this type of car everyday. I am not the type of person who can focus and behave all of the time. So realistically speaking, in the kind of random, dog-eat-dog traffic we have here, I can't be trusted with this much power. That's why there is no way I will sell my other car. I Plan on driving the 812 only outside of the city.