Maserati Khamsin | Page 334 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    I mean the car in Holland with registration "HVLP" followed by the numbers "53". Do you have that in your files, maybe with another VIN than #1018?
    Registered in Holland since 1994, and it is still in Holland, insured and valid APK (=MOT), but I don't know where in Holland it is.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I would say it looks like 290...unless 17 different Khamsins in the land of the rising sun have similar paint schemes just to confuse us;-)

yes I call it resale red or redified, back from the days when people seemed to do that systematically thank God we are now back to original colors in most cases.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Casting a wide net red US K's in Benelux ignoring your since 1994 mention:

1038? 1152? 1158? 1186? 1216 (red/black, 5 speed, sold in France at auction in 1990, no news since)? 1300 (ex Denmark Stroeger collection got sold to Holland, bumper conversion by DN restorations in Holland in recent years sold to Luxembourg)? 1304 (appeared in really bad shape at Gullwing Motorcars who sold it March 2015 destination not known to me. Bart v d W or Dr Lipperts might know.

5. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Never seen that registration No, sorry.

6. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8331 AMLC, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    It's a 1975 car so that leaves only the first one of this list, #1038, as an alternative for #1018 I think, but I know nothing about that chassis.
    By the way, #1152 was on this forum in 2014 I believe with photos and has another Dutch registration, I think you can also see #1152 in this video from 2018:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #8332 AMLC, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    The photos from the advert of the 1975 car from 2008 when it was for sale in Holland (private seller in Groesbeek).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rga likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well at least we know it is a US car with the rear US bumper shock bracket roots not cut out properly and the exhausts therefore hanging too low.

It is the only car I know in this odd halfway situation except for the Khamsin spyder therefore looking at any US car rear photo this is the -red!- flag to identify it.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ..interesting "solution" to add those little tail lights in that void... If I remember right, the real solution is to 'rotate' the exhaust pipes so they curve UP into the cut-outs, am I correct?

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Art,

Ok I need to explain a few things here: they are not lights but some cheap reflectors the person found somewhere, bizarre idea.

The rectangular tubes they were put on are the ones that housed the shock absorbers holding the US rear bumper. When you do a bumper conversion properly, after removing the rear bumper and its shock absorbers (see here in page four of my bumper conversion guide you can see the tube to cut off on the page below step 9, tube B)

http://maseratikhamsinregistry.net/euro-bumper-kit-conversion-4.php

see step 1 to 3; you must cut those out, the metal is thick, I recall I was in shorts so the sparks created by whatever cutting tool I was using -this was 16 years ago not sure- kept hurting but what does one not do for love right;-)when I did 2 other bumper conversions I wore pants and long sleeve shirts:)

Then on page 5

http://maseratikhamsinregistry.net/euro-bumper-kit-conversion-5.php

when you are finished -EXCEPT for cutting out those tubes- you can see below step 19 how the exhaust sits far too low because the pipes cannot fit into the half moon shaped body cavities...because the tubes are in the way.

So then after these tubes are cut out you have an exhaust shop pull off the rear mufflers, flip them upside down, the left one goes on the right side and the right one on the left side and voila they fit snugly, see step 20:)

Now instead of a Ralph Nader Khamsin ruined, totally disfigured by his excessive US government safety rules you have a Maserati Khamsin:)!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  11. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    Hi everybody,

on my Khamsin # 404 there are three rectangular red warning lights. The left one says STOP for obvious reasons, the right one says Park brake and the center one says nothing. Yesterday it came on the first time in 10 years of ownership, only when braking and only for a flicker. It is not in the handbook nor in the owners manual. How does it work?

Thanx,

Rolf

12. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Extrapolating from my Bora and your description:
    Front brake pad sensors.

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Most likely brake pad sensor ... time to check your front brake pads.

Ivan

14. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    Clear, thanx Ivan and boralogist.

But how does it work? no cable, no sensor plate, new pads are bland.

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    If it’s a US origin car, seat belt warning light.

16. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Regardless of User Manual---check hand-brake switch!
    Let us know!

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    BTW - I’m currently looking for a broken exterior door handle for a Khamsin if anyone has one available?

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Are you thinking 3D printing? Someone mentioned it in conjunction with K door handles, just can't recall who. I think it was one of the top classic Maserati restorers I interviewed for my book Classiche Masters, I discussed 3D printing with all of them but one mentioned this not necessarily during the interview.

20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    I have the handles themselves (from your contact, thank you.) I picked up new housing, made out of aluminum. I also have new locks. What I need is the internals for the driver’s side. I haven’t taken apart the passengers side yet to see if I can piece it together from sources.

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Intricate work, good luck:)

23. 2fast4us

2fast4us Karting

Sep 5, 2010
    Germany, NRW
    Full Name:
    Rolf
    it is not the handbrake, that is the light to the right and it works fine. The center light comes on, when I press the brake pedal and only for a moment.

24. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sounds like you're not developing enough pressure to safely operate the brakes. Possibly the main pump or one of three accumulators. But they may be using the same light for pad wear. Not likely that new pads will have the wear sensors built in. So light will never come on for that.